Skyrim - Modpocalypse Averted

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
TechRaptor reports that the modpocalypse has been averted for Skyrim due to early access being provided to mod creators and the ability to downgrade the anniversary edition to play old mods.

With the release of the new version of Skyrim, a lot of people were worried about mods. Would they still work? Would players continue to have the same experience that they have been enjoying for the last decade? Worry not, for Skyrim Anniversary Edition SKSE version has now been released due to Bethesda giving the mod creator of SKSE early access to release SKSE64 in time, which The SKSE Team has done.

One concern many players had was about Skyrim Anniversary Edition disrupting mods, but Bethesda's actions in giving the script extender team early access has helped mitigate the problem. This is due to the Skyrim Anniversary Edition SKSE version, which is essentially the pillar of Skyrim modding. Many mods use it, as SKSE "expands scripting capabilities and adds additional functionality to the game." It may not sounds like much, but under the hood it's a incredibly useful tool, and the backbone of many mods including the famous SkyUI.

patcher, which will downgrade Skyrim from its Anniversary Edition to its Special Edition. If there's mod you can't live without and you've already upgraded, you can use this patcher to downgrade and play until your favorite mods are updated.

[...]
More information.

That's actually a good way to handle this, in my opinion. Good PR to make sure (more or less) that mods keep working as before or one can go back to the previous version.

Hardly ever used mods that needed SkyUI..so yeah I never had to worry in the first place. As most of my mods were textures and game expansions that didn't need it.

That's a smart move, and more thoughtful than they usually are. I think without that support, the SKSE folks would have refused to go through reverse engineering the whole thing again, and the modding community would have denounced the "anniversary edition".

SKYUI is a very nice mod.

On a side note there are other grey ways to download older versions of Skyrim as well.

Hardly ever used mods that needed SkyUI..so yeah I never had to worry in the first place. As most of my mods were textures and game expansions that didn't need it.

Why didn't you use SkyUI? Conversely, I waited to play Skyrim a long time until SkyUI came along... I could not stand the vanilla UI.

Why didn't you use SkyUI? Conversely, I waited to play Skyrim a long time until SkyUI came along… I could not stand the vanilla UI.
Vanilla inventory/gui wasn't that great but it never bothered me. I also rarely needed SKSE. Like I said above most of the mods I used were for textures and equipment.

Vanilla inventory/gui wasn't that great but it never bothered me. I also rarely needed SKSE. Like I said above most of the mods I used were for textures and equipment.

Also, a lot of people like me use a large format TV for gaming, in my case an actual 10 foot console experience using Steam. So in that case the default interface works much better than SkyUI. In an optimal world, we'd be able to switch between a 10 foot and PC UI provided by Bethesda.

Back
Top Bottom