Slam23's General Avatar Discussion

slam23

Tormented Planescaper
My avatar is actually also very big but you can't see that because the black edges blend in with the board..... :p
I actually thought the size of the avatar would grow with the number of posts, but that probably would have meant that Corwin's should have been the size of a desktop wallpaper by now.....:biggrin:

I may have succeeded in fooling someone if my post was an uneven number (no blue around the pic), ah well.....that's probably why I deserve a small picture

You might have succeeded in fooling those using a dark scheme :p. When using a light color scheme, the avatar's background is, well, light... contrasting nicely with the black background of your bull!

* Hangs his head in shame * :) I guess pleading that I'm colour-blind won't help things probably.....
Where does you avatar come from btw? Is it a cartoon figure?

o_o...!!! It's Bomberman!
You're not a console kid, I assume ;).

I believe it is a strange device that those who are not cabable of mastering the complexities of a keyboard and mouse use to play simple games!! :p

You should give it a try, Corwin - for someone your age it's probably easier to remember which colored button does what than finding 'WSAD' on the keyboard :p (just talking about weak sight here, of course).

Then there are those rare individuals who manage to master both platforms... even with both arms in a cast ;).

For me, 'console' is one of the three little things that fit in the front pouch of my computer bag with little acronym names ;)

You should give it a try, Corwin - for someone your age it's probably easier to remember which colored button does what than finding 'WSAD' on the keyboard :p (just talking about weak sight here, of course).

Then there are those rare individuals who manage to master both platforms... even with both arms in a cast ;).

What makes you think Corwin has or could master either of them Jaz? :D

Umm... I meant Mike, actually! :idea: He's the perfect Renaissance Man and a role model for Corwin...

Bomberman? Is he kind of a terrorist or something? :) Sounds dangerous....I was actually one of the first console kids when I was 8 or 9. We used to borrow a Philips Videopac G7000 from our neighbours when I was sick at home from school. http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afbeelding:Philips_Videopac_G7000.jpg
Pixels were about the size of your avatar back then and you had to have a lot of imagination. I distinctly remember that I could tell a red dragon (red pixel) from the nearly deceased bleeding knight (also a red pixel, which was "leaking" another red pixel). Then the red pixel became a bowling ball in another game with which you could knock down pins that had the shape of.....a red pixel. Maybe that spoiled me for future consoles.....I heard graphics improved a lot in the mean time?

My first console game was Pong, and I still got hooked. About newer consoles... who needs modern day graphics when you have a working Atari VCS? *shrugs* They're still nice to have IMO ;). Any machine able to run a game is a fantastic invention.

Bomberman (my avatar is White Bomberman, actually) and his cronies are little guys who place bombs in more or less strategical ways to blast away their competitors. You might call them terrorists, but at least they're cute.

Pong? Well you can't top that for old school consoling....seriously? With the paddles and all? The Atari VCS was partly build from wood if I remember correctly. WOOD that is.... I'm still in awe of my PC emulating a commodore 64 and Apple IIe. Because of the save state option in the emulators I get to see the ending of games that I couldn't finish back then. Ghost 'n Goblins is even too tough to finish with that trick, that's a hard game to beat.
Cute terrorists ;) I like that, it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.....or did I just get bombed? Liked the wikipedia page link, man it seems that I sure did miss a phenomenon. Did you know: http://www.gamepro.com/gamepro/domestic/games/features/71648.shtml
Probably did :)

Hmmm... the link crashes my Firefox whenever I try to open it. *scratches head*
As for Pong, yes, with paddles and all. And the VCS cover looks wooden indeed... at least that, never tried to cut or scratch it.
I have my PC emulate DOS and my Xbox emulate everything else.
slam23 said:
Because of the save state option in the emulators I get to see the ending of games that I couldn't finish back then.
Yep, that's precious. I was actually able to finish Actraiser 2 without cheating.

So... to get back to the avatar topic... if we took a psychonanlytical stance on avatars, what would it tell us? ;)

The link dealt with Bomberman being number 10 in a list of the 10 best computer game franchises as chosen by readers from Gamepro magazine. Other franchises included Nintendo's Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil and on first place Zelda.

But indeed back to on topic. Nice idea, I'll go first. Well, a girl who chooses "bomberman" as avatar is obviously subconciously referring to her repressed male agression dynamic which is frowned upon by patriarchal dominant societies if displayed openly by the female. Hence also the preference for gaming to release that internal tension in a more culturally accepted channel. Too easy that one.....now your turn :biggrin:

Drats! I forgot you were the pro :lol:. Just hope nobody remembers the avatars before this one.
Sorry... must stop laughing before I can even try to give an assessment... but no, wait, now I know... your avatar is a subtle way of stating you're... you're... Hindu.

Yeah, I know we hijacked the thread. Anybody going to take it back?

No, you're the site admin and we just follow your lead!! :biggrin:

Hmmm... then I'd better be a role model and split the thread!

EDIT: Done! I copied our hijacking action to this place :). Now let's all go wild!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom