So, what's going on with the RPGs on this site?

I haven't played an RPGish game since, because none of the released games make me feel excited. I'm a fan of story-heavy western cRPGs. And there just don't seem to be any these days.
Interestingly, it was just this morning that I watched the new video by the executive producer of Dragon Age Inquisition, in which he talks about many aspects of the Dragon Age games and, by extension, Bioware games.

In it he confirms what I've always said, that Bioware games have terrible and barely any story. And I'm not even paraphrasing, he explicitly states Bioware games aren't about the story and that the stories are normally incoherent piecemeal excuses for going around doing stuff, and that the primary interest of Bioware games and it's fan's is simply companion interaction.

I have no idea if Bioware games are included in your stated preference here, but if we're excluding those as well, then, sure, story-heavy western cRPGs are just rare full stop, there's not really much "recently" about it.

Bethesda games aren't really renown for their story either. As with most cRPGs, the main incentive in Bethesda games is to avoid the story as much as possible in order to maximise exploration.

So for the purposes of helping the newsposters and general reading public, can you be more specific about which kind of games are what you'd call Story-Heavy?

Torment: Tides of Numenera would be one that is definitely story-heavy, but, well, not a very popular or broad church there and I'm thinking you don't mean this kind of game?

I think newsposters can only do what they do so I applaud them. It's a lot of work. It's normal for not everyone to like everything. In some ways the main negative is that it potentially stops some conversations from happening. At the same time, if you find any news, you can Contact Us on the main page and submit it.

It's almost always actions by the news team.

View attachment 4370
Yeah, maybe it'd help if that was a bit more, I don't know, streamlined? Easier? It would also be nice to see the news someone has already submitted (but no one has acted on yet) so people know when they need to bother or not?

Either way, let me chime in and also say thank you to all previous and current (and future ones too, I guess) news posters. I am always looking forward to discovering new games through the news bits.
I myself am less interested in JRPGs and FF-likes, but I have no problem simply scrolling over those posts.

Ah, never used these filters. Thanks for the tip.

I think there are tons of games being released, far more than I can play, just the landscape changed a bit, as in less AAA rpgs and almost no RTwP RPGs. But if you are more into indie and turnbased stuff, there is still tons of games to play, even if you ignore all the asian games.
I've hardly posted news of late, and for that I apologise. It is also true that I'm struggling to find games which I am interested in posting about period. I do prefer CRPGs and tactical games like XCOM, as others have noticed, and they have been thin on the ground as of late. At least in terms of a quality worth posting about. It doesn't help that the games I might be interested in covering have a virtual news black out either. I have a feeling that will change in 2023.
And I would disagree there. There are probably more tacitcal RPGs or XCom like games being released in recent years and being developed than ever before.

Just the ones from my list of TB games in development, starting with 4 extremely high calibre games:
Jagged Alliance 3
Xenonauts 2
Urban Strife
Baldurs Gate 3
The Way of Wrath
Shardpunk Verminfall
Project Haven
Archaelund
Revolution: The Spark
Caves of Lore
Skald
Broken Roads
Mars Tactics
The Iron Oath
Cyber Knights

So as a fan of tactical games, I'd say that the future has never been that bright. And that's even though I dislike what Firaxis did and does with XCom.

Meh Tomato...Tomahto as not everyone will have the same tastes. See I prefer RTwP RPGs, Open world Action RPGs, and of course BioWare style RPGs which are nil nowadays.

So one gamers Bright future is another gamers Dark present.

Just TB RPGs and JRPGs everywhere you look Nowadays.:[

Meh Tomato...Tomahto as not everyone will have the same tastes. See I prefer RTwP RPGs, Open world Action RPGs, and of course BioWare style RPGs which are nil nowadays.

So one gamers Bright future is another gamers Dark present.

Just TB RPGs and JRPGs everywhere you look Nowadays.:[
I can't remember the last RTwP RPG I played. What was the last big RTwP game? Plenty of open-world ARPGs though, if you're flexible with how much RP is necessary to make an open-world action game an open-world ARPG.
Edit: Does Fallout's VATS count as RTwP?

I can't remember the last RTwP RPG I played. What was the last big RTwP game? Plenty of open-world ARPGs though, if you're flexible with how much RP is necessary to make an open-world action game an open-world ARPG.
Edit: Does Fallout's VATS count as RTwP?
I don't count open-world action games with RPG elements as RPGs. They might scratch my itch but always fall short of a true RPG. Though other watchers call them RPGs.

We actually has a whole thread about this topic at one point. :biggrin:

The last RTwP RPG was Black Geyser.

Back
Top Bottom