Solasta - Review @Strat-Edgy

In watching this decent video it seems as though spoilers occur from 12:32 on, which is different from how I understood the "skip spoilers" indicator above.

I enjoyed Solasta overall, not great or very good but decent enough that I enjoyed it and would recommend it for those who like what they see in gameplay videos.

What's the general length of this in hours? I'm interested in some fun dungeon romping, but not quite sure I'm down for a 200 hour Pathfinder playthrough.

What's the general length of this in hours? I'm interested in some fun dungeon romping, but not quite sure I'm down for a 200 hour Pathfinder playthrough.

The Solasta campaign took me 56 hours to complete.

I had been all ready to purchase Pathfinder but then at the last minute decided that I would wait on that for bug fixes and more importantly for me to have time to put into that one, so I went with Solasta instead and I am glad that I did so I could now have time for Gloomhaven (185 hours so far in just the guildmaster mode).

The consensus is 40+ hrs based on just finishing the campaign if your not a completionist or very slow player. Keep in mind playtime always vary depending on the player.

Link - https://howlongtobeat.com/game?id=72265

It;s a really interesting game as it does so much right but there are a few things that need work. A great start for this group, Interested to see what they do with future DLC/Installments....also the dungeon maker is insanely easy to use. I understand no quests as of yet but I hope they get that as I may dabble a bit.

Yeah, I think the consensus is that the campaign itself is nothing special. I think most of the excitement is for the engine and the editor, which have a lot of potential for some great official and community campaigns, going forward.

I'm playing 2 user-made campaigns right now. They both have good stories and the maps are fantastic. The new DLC kicks this game up to a 9/10. I had it around 8/10. Each campaign is 30+ hours so this can be a new Neverwinter Nights for me.

Hastar, what are the names of those campaigns?

Vel Explorer. Almost finished with the campaign. Really good on exploration and the fights aren't too hard unless you go the wrong way early on and you get hints if you are going the wrong way. Decent amount of magic items but doesn't throw a bunch at you early on. Very open-world.

Ruins of Ilthismar. About halfway through. Hard battles and need to know the rules of 5e. Not as open-world but a very good story. I would make a strong party for this one. Don't use point-buy system, use random roles till you get good stats. More magic items but it's not Monty Hall.

I'm playing 2 user-made campaigns right now. They both have good stories and the maps are fantastic. The new DLC kicks this game up to a 9/10. I had it around 8/10. Each campaign is 30+ hours so this can be a new Neverwinter Nights for me.

What about the DLC improved the game for you? Looks like some of the new features they include for free now vs. requiring DLC purchase. For a new player which Steam bundle would you recommending buying?

The main thing the DLC improved was the dungeon maker. Also, I enjoy the druid class so that was a plus for me. DLC increased the max level of characters from 10th to 12th. In 5e, lvls 11 and 12 add some nice class features like fighters getting their 3rd attack. Half-Orcs are a powerful race in 5e and I made a half-orc paladin and really enjoying that character.

The base game was just 50% off this past week. :disappointed: I would start with that and see if you enjoy the game. I got Solasta on the GoG and Steam with the supporter edition and the DLCs. I gifted two of my friends the game because I would love to see them make another D&D game and maybe get the full rights from Wizards of the Coast next game.

The main thing the DLC improved was the dungeon maker. Also, I enjoy the druid class so that was a plus for me. DLC increased the max level of characters from 10th to 12th. In 5e, lvls 11 and 12 add some nice class features like fighters getting their 3rd attack. Half-Orcs are a powerful race in 5e and I made a half-orc paladin and really enjoying that character.

The base game was just 50% off this past week. :disappointed: I would start with that and see if you enjoy the game. I got Solasta on the GoG and Steam with the supporter edition and the DLCs. I gifted two of my friends the game because I would love to see them make another D&D game and maybe get the full rights from Wizards of the Coast next game.

Awesome info thanks!

Yea, I have not bought this offering, and probably won't for various reasons, but I think from what I read the game itself is a promising sign that this developer may have bigger and better things ahead in the rpg genre, and I look forward to their next game.

I for sure will be interested!

Thing is if you find skyrim writing bad, this is by far worse.

Back
Top Bottom