Sony Interactive Entertainment - PC Strategy

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
DSGGaming reports about Sony's PC strategy:

Sony details its future PC strategy for its first-party games

In the past couple of years, Sony released numerous of its first-party games on PC. And while most of these releases were commercial successes, Sony seems willing to retain the big gap between the PS5 and PC releases of its first-party games.

[...]

As Jim Ryan told Famitsu:

"We are increasing the number of PS5 exclusive titles and staggering the release of the PC version.
I often have the opportunity to ask game fans for their opinions, and when I ask them about the time lag, they say that selling the PC version two or three years after the release of the PS version is accepted favorably."

[...]
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

"They say that selling the PC version two or three years after the release of the PS version is accepted favorably".

I doubt that is what they said. Between the game remaining a PS5 exclusive or getting it a few years later, the choice if obvious, especially for pc gamers, not because it is accepted favorably, but because the other option is not playing the game. And console gamers will either not care if they play console exclusively or if they have multiple platforms, they will prefer to be able to choose in which platform to play at launch.

I don't care much one way or the other. There have been a few interesting games, but overall I prefer games made for the PC to console games. And Sony being so paranoid, they're usually infested with DRM anyway.

I don't own a console. Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War on PC are two of my favorite games of all time, while Uncharted 4 on PC was decent. I hope they release Ghosts of Tsushima, God of War Ragnarok, and Horizon's sequel on PC as those would be insta-purchases for me.

I don't mind a wait of 2 or 3 years (though I would prefer sooner), but more than that and AAA games can become stale and have outdated features or graphics.

I don't own a console. Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War on PC are two of my favorite games of all time, while Uncharted 4 on PC was decent. I hope they release Ghosts of Tsushima, God of War Ragnarok, and Horizon's sequel on PC as those would be insta-purchases for me.
Have you played Days Gone? Imo, it's right up there with HZD as the best PS games to be ported to PC.

Have you played Days Gone? Imo, it's right up there with HZD as the best PS games to be ported to PC.

Thank you to you both. This is one big benefit of frequenting a site like this, to find recommendations. I had never heard of Days Gone.

Unfortunately, I have a pretty strong aversion to games with a zombie-like theme, and from reviews I'm looking at it seems as though that is what this is. Last of Us 2 is another game which seems like it otherwise might be very good but a preponderance of zombie-like entities makes me not want to play it, either.

Unfortunately, I have a pretty strong aversion to games with a zombie-like theme, and from reviews I'm looking at it seems as though that is what this is. Last of Us 2 is another game which seems like it otherwise might be very good but a preponderance of zombie-like entities makes me not want to play it, either.
If you don't mind me asking, what's the aversion about? Are you weirded out by zombies, or do you just find them boring?

Seconded. I actually purchased Days Gone on JDR13's recommendation about a year ago or so ago. I really enjoyed it and I played it once on Survivial Hard difficulty. I think I got close to 100% completion except for a few unmarked collectibles. Great gameplay and it has one of the best control schemes for a game ported from PS. The story is great but they do pul a few punches right at the end unfortunately. Highly recommended. I do like Zombie games, shows and movies though.

Days Gone was one of the better zombie games I played in years. Good music, story, and open world. To bad it starts to get worse at the end, and low sales killed a sequel.

On the other-hand The Last of Us was one of the worst PC ports in years.O_O

If you don't mind me asking, what's the aversion about? Are you weirded out by zombies, or do you just find them boring?
Good questions. Thematically I find zombie-like enemies boring, and from a gameplay standpoint I don't enjoy hordes of enemies especially if there are repeated hordes.

Also, while I'm not weirded out by zombies any more than any other enemy, I tend to not enjoy a setting in which zombies play a primary role, such as post-apoc (with some exceptions). One other factor is that some zombie games focus on horror which is not a genre I enjoy, with some exceptions such as the horror-like aspects of the original Bioshock.

I enjoyed Planescape: Torment a whole lot but the zombie aspect of that game has pretty much no relation in my view to zombie games, and I enjoy the presence of a small number of zombies and other undead as enemies in other D&D-type games.

Back
Top Bottom