Space Hulk: Tactics - Map Editor Trailer

Didn't know a map editor was included, that's a plus compared to previous offerings. My interest has gone up a notch.

I don't understand how the maps, which are typically small constrained spaces and hallways can offer much tactical variety. Seems like it'll make for a poor tactical experience with units just bunching up all over the place... no options for cover, height advantage, tough to circle around or flank... blah, seems boring.

I don't know about the new incarnations of Space Hulk, but in the original (1993) game the tactical element is in placing terminators at particular points on the map to allow safe passage to the team members to reach their target, achieve their objectives and return safely to the exit point (harder than it sounds for big complex maps).

The original also had 1st person view and control of each terminator for up-close and personal encounters and experience, which was amazing.

It is a shame that all of recent attempts did not manage to recapture this atmosphere and tension of the originals.

[..]
The original also had 1st person view and control of each terminator for up-close and personal encounters and experience, which was amazing. [..]

That was THEN, before nowadays **mobile-phone+WiFi craze** could significantly degrade the neurons in these developers' brains. Now we can measure the result: neural degeneration by the LOSS OF ORIGINALITY in games. You can't really argue that modern 3D games got so difficult to do that innovation is nigh impossible, because Kojima showed and is showing us: there really isn't much you cannot do nowadays if you willing to put your healthy mind into it. You can put a damaged mind to heavy use, the same way you can go jogging with your broken leg! Your leg heals with time.

Your brain cells are more debatable, especially with those growing micro-tumors beside them as a result of frequent squeezing your phone to your ears just to hear WTH your client is saying? Yeah, sure, go and dream on. I had a driver die of cancer just because he carried his always-on mobile phone right beside his crotch (on his sweat-pants), while driving and getting calls.

Respect for the very few exceptions, like Achtung! Cthulhu Tactics. Usually when you see interviews with the developers and there you can see brain-kriptonite Wifi-Routers right beside them on the table, you can expect a trainwreck game, full of bugs, excuses and company-drama.

@mercy;, I'm just curious here, but since it's not the first time you're talking about that (professionalism and innovations), what do you think about Iron Tower new's game ( Colony Ship/The New World).

Reading the WIP updates, I feel like they have a fine sense for good RPG mechanics.

I don't know about the new incarnations of Space Hulk, but in the original (1993) game the tactical element is in placing terminators at particular points on the map to allow safe passage to the team members to reach their target, achieve their objectives and return safely to the exit point (harder than it sounds for big complex maps).

Back in the very original board game too, enemies could come in through the ducts in the middle of your formation or behind it. Although the marines had some warning when this could happen, the gene stealers had to place a radar blip on the map which was randomly determined to be either a bunch of enemies getting ready to pop out, or just a rat running through the ducts.

Mostly though the thing was that time was not on the marines side and they had to keep moving while keeping a defensive position. The strategy for the marines was moving through all those choke points without ever leaving themselves vulnerable and the strategy for the genestealers was recognizing and exploiting vulnerabilities.

That's just for the board game though, haven't played the digital versions. Although I did enjoy Deathwing for the IOS quite a bit, which is a more tactical RPG version of Space Hulk.

Back in the very original board game too, enemies could come in through the ducts in the middle of your formation or behind it. Although the marines had some warning when this could happen, the gene stealers had to place a radar blip on the map which was randomly determined to be either a bunch of enemies getting ready to pop out, or just a rat running through the ducts.

Mostly though the thing was that time was not on the marines side and they had to keep moving while keeping a defensive position. The strategy for the marines was moving through all those choke points without ever leaving themselves vulnerable and the strategy for the genestealers was recognizing and exploiting vulnerabilities.

You have just described in detail what was in the original Space Hulk (1993) computer game, down to the radar blips appearing when genestealers break from walls and ducts. It seems that they produced a very good adaptation of the board game and its original popularity!

I don't understand how the maps, which are typically small constrained spaces and hallways can offer much tactical variety. Seems like it'll make for a poor tactical experience with units just bunching up all over the place… no options for cover, height advantage, tough to circle around or flank… blah, seems boring.

It is boring to people who find tension boring because SH is about tension.

The map editor is pointless and part of the trend of adding features because devs know or want to acquire the experience of how to do them.

The outcome of a SH game is uncertain. Which makes maps replayable.
SH is not a fast to eat content game. It is repetition, not a browser of generic content.

Making a decent map for SH is not easy. It can not be generated like that.
In the end, there is not that many SH valuable maps to play. Maybe, one guy will manage to add to the pool. Nothing sure.
Not worth implementing a map editor.

It is a shame that all of recent attempts did not manage to recapture this atmosphere and tension of the originals.

Players these days can not stand tension. They desire to be powerful and being caught in a tense situation does not carry the empowerment feeling they are after.

Back
Top Bottom