Star Citizen - $500,000,000 raised

Sheesh I'm reminded of a huge industry complex guzzling resources that wont last.:wideeyed:

So thanks for those links.

If you're totally not interested - what's the incentive to explain anything? I'm struggling to see it :)

But I'll give it a shot.

I'm not going to list all the features and technology involved - as that's exhaustive and I will miss many of them.

Also, the game isn't finished - so I can't talk about what's special about something that doesn't yet exist in its final form.

I would say the alpha has reached a stage where only the most ignorant can ignore what's special about its potential (and many of the already implemented features), if nothing else - if they actually try it during free-fly.

I can talk about what I think is special about the intended design, the ambition and why I think it's fully possible to achieve.

It's really about the fidelity of the simulation and the attitude of the people involved, more than anything.

The uncompromising attention to detail - but always with the focus on what's fun and what will serve the ultimate vision.

Many of those things won't seem necessary or even remotely fun to people who don't understand what they're going for - which I think is key.

There's nothing "brief" that I can say that will make you understand my position, I don't think.

But if you (genuinely) feel like it - this is a good demonstration of the level of fidelity involved - and the kind of designers they have working on the game:

You won't get it by watching 10 minutes - you have to watch most of it, so if you're only superficially interested - I can't help you understand.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8VFw1F-olQ
I watched that clip. It's an impressive thing they are trying to pull off. Simulation by approximation on a massive scale.

It probably won't be for me, though. It seems like so much time and effort goes into economic simulation (the Quanta seem to be Homo Economicus more or less) and that is one of the most boring things in a game to me.

I'm guessing it will be the same type of player who enjoys Eve online who will enjoy this.

I belive this project will lead to a lot of interesting tech for simulating stuff. That's pretty cool in the long run no matter if a fun game comes out or not. A lot of programmers with experience programming and testing new and cool tech is a good thing, I think.

Back
Top Bottom