Starfield - Delayed to 2023

Didn't see this one coming - as they're usually pretty good at sticking to dates once they finally give them.

There goes my highlight of the year :(

The reason for this delay leaked: they wanted to run for RPG of the year, and they felt couldn't compete with Black Geyser or Elex II

They feel they'll have a better shot against BG3.

Damn… 11-11-22 had such a nice look to it.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Exactly 11 years after Skyrim got released. :(

Now that's a surprise but hey Bethesda has always been a very slow developer. Then again internal leaks claim the team was worried about the state of the game.

They mentioned the fear of another Cyberpunk 2077 debacle. Now how long for ES6?

Still, not really a surprise these days. Was already mentally prepared for 2023 somehow. It seems rarer and rarer that studios actually keep their announced release dates. Of course, the ironic part is, the - this being Bethesda - it will still be a bugged out game on release ;-)

I honestly wish companies would wait until a month before a game's release to announce it. I'm tired of the endless marketing and constant delays.

no surprise with only bullshit artwork videos released so far

Even if they waited until a month before release to announce a game, they would probably still find a way to delay it. :)

I'm talking about developers/publishers in general not Bethesda.

Well shit. I based the games I'm playing this year around starting Starfield when it came out. It will be the first game I buy day1 in over a decade. Now my schedule is scuppered for Christmastime!

This is the thing I don't get about the ever extending time between game releases in the current gaming culture.

The whole point of these AAA games is that they pioneer the latest graphics. It's the primary factor which separates them from the hoards of other games.

But when you have 7 years between games, well, that's almost 2 whole graphical ages in the world of competitive game production. Or generations, if you prefer.

So they still can't be spending all that time on making the game, because every couple of years they'd need to do a graphical overhaul.

No matter the length of production they'd still mostly be tied to a two year production cycle, to be somewhere close to the current graphical expectation.

So what do they do during the first four years of production? And why does it take so long!

This is the thing I don't get about the ever extending time between game releases in the current gaming culture.

The whole point of these AAA games is that they pioneer the latest graphics. It's the primary factor which separates them from the hoards of other games.

But when you have 7 years between games, well, that's almost 2 whole graphical ages in the world of competitive game production. Or generations, if you prefer.

So they still can't be spending all that time on making the game, because every couple of years they'd need to do a graphical overhaul.

No matter the length of production they'd still mostly be tied to a two year production cycle, to be somewhere close to the current graphical expectation.

So what do they do during the first four years of production? And why does it take so long!

Well, Bethesda was never much of a pioneer when it comes to graphics. The only game they did that was cutting edge in terms of visuals at the time was Morrowind. Imo, their other titles have been pretty average in that department.

As for what they do during that first four years, that's a good question...

Back
Top Bottom