Starfield - Into the Starfield: The Endless Pursuit

For each of their previous games (Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim) I've owned and played them on console first, unadorned, and then modded them to the gills on PC later. I like doing it that way. I like playing the actual game as it was intended first, and then I can pick and choose mods for it based on what I know worked and didn't work for me. And also of course just for variety since I tend to play these games for a lot of hours.

I can understand wanting to do that, but, for me, some of their games just weren't enjoyable enough in their vanilla state to justify the timesink. Oblivion and Fallout 3 fall into that category. I did end up enjoying FO3 quite a bit later on with the right mods.

Morrowind was great though (back then) even without any mods, and I also enjoyed FO4 at release despite the flaws.

Gotta say Starfield is my most anticipated game ever. I love Elder Scrolls and Fallout, and I love space games. Having that in one package is a dream come true.

Are you suicidal to post something like this here on RPGWatch? Are you not seeing the pitchforks, the torches, the tar and the feathers?

OK. It could have been worse. You could have posted on RPGCodex and then you would already be ripped to very small microscopic shreds :biggrin: .

Meh.. bring on the pitchforks & torches as I'm looking forward to playing Starfield as well myself. Sure I have some problems with Bethesda games but always enjoy playing them.

It helps not many Triple A RPGs from the big publishers are releasing nowadays. It's buffet of RPG elements/RPG lite games though. Thank heavens for smaller developers.

As that's were most of the RPGs nowadays are getting made by.

Yeah, but modding on consoles wasn't a thing until the last generation (Xbox One & PS4) right?

Yes but thats been at least since skyrim...for instance I'm playing skyrim again(I got into it sitting on my couch) on my series x and the thing looks close to how I played it on pc...not quite as good but it plays very nice on the machine. I think going forward modding will be more of a thing especially(probably only now that bethesda is only xbox/pc) on Xbox machines as they are working on having mods in a lot of their products now.

OK. It could have been worse. You could have posted on RPGCodex and then you would already be ripped to very small microscopic shreds :biggrin: .

True. The Codex is downright autistic when it comes to hating everything put out by the bigger names or anything made after 1998.

That's why I tend to avoid the RPG section over there. I usually just visit their general gaming section to talk about first-person shooters, survival-horror, etc, because non-RPG threads get a lot more traffic over there.

Yes but thats been at least since skyrim…for instance I'm playing skyrim again(I got into it sitting on my couch) on my series x and the thing looks close to how I played it on pc…not quite as good but it plays very nice on the machine. I think going forward modding will be more of a thing especially(probably only now that bethesda is only xbox/pc) on Xbox machines as they are working on having mods in a lot of their products now.

It hasn't been since Skyrim. Skyrim came out in 2011, and modding on consoles is something that's only been around for maybe four years.

True. The Codex is downright autistic when it comes to hating everything put out by the bigger names or anything made after 1998.

Yep and Bethesda get a huge deal of bonus hate :) . They are enemy no. 1 for "raping" the Fallout franchise and for "raping" Obsidian Entertainment.

It hasn't been since Skyrim. Skyrim came out in 2011, and modding on consoles is something that's only been around for maybe four years.

You are right as in the 360 version of the game...xbox one version on has had modding....and it is well supported.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEbHqsLSOcU
ESO really broken the video down (if that is the correct expression), and he is quite positive about it - I have hard time sometimes to understand the english context, but I cannot be hyped for any game.
If there is not microtransactions, there is always internet connection (I have heard that Valhala is with always online events nobody asked for in a viking themed game), or a new one is - will that game be on the same political level like Facry 6 or other policitally correct games? because there are all kinds of groups of players trying to make the game to their liking, so if another groups outside of RPGs step in, it feels a bit overcrowded already.
Also I feel a bit sad that implementing a robot race felt always like a waste of resources for devs or more like for managers.

You mean walking simulators with good lore, more action adventure then RPG, horrible quest writing, and cliched main stories. It's hard not to smirk at hype over the Ubisoft of RPGs. I will give them Morrowind as their best complete RPG, quest and story included.
And their best ever game was a fork by Obsidian, New Vegas. If they can emulte the World depth including quests and branching choices-options-results of New Vegas, then they can be applauded for doing more then lore filled walking simulators. We shall see.:biggrin:

Yeah, why would anyone be hyped for a game from a company that has a history releasing huge open world games?

You mean walking simulators with good lore, more action adventure then RPG, horrible quest writing, and cliched main stories. It's hard not to smirk at hype over the Ubisoft of RPGs. I will give them Morrowind as their best complete RPG, quest and story included.
And their best ever game was a fork by Obsidian, New Vegas. If they can emulte the World depth including quests and branching choices-options-results of New Vegas, then they can be applauded for doing more then lore filled walking simulators. We shall see.:biggrin:

Feel better?

That's why I tend to avoid the RPG section over there. I usually just visit their general gaming section to talk about first-person shooters, survival-horror, etc, because non-RPG threads get a lot more traffic over there.
If you look at the Codex's latest "top RPGs of all time" poll, there's actually quite a lot of bigger-name and/or post-1998 games. I think it's about half-and-half with 20th century and 21st century games. See the results of their latest poll from 2 years ago

I'd say the difference is that the Codex forum is so diverse (in opinion) and free-speech-supporting, that pretty much no matter what you're talking about there's going to be a lot of people showing up that hate it, and they aren't afraid to post about it because people don't get as butthurt over there about negative opinions being posted. Here it's often better to just stay quiet, or you get sniped at - like the post above mine in this thread.

I'd say the difference is that the Codex forum is so diverse (in opinion) and free-speech-supporting, that pretty much no matter what you're talking about there's going to be a lot of people showing up that hate it, and they aren't afraid to post about it because people don't get as butthurt over there about negative opinions being posted. Here it's often better to just stay quiet, or you get sniped at - like the post above mine in this thread.

Oh there's plenty of butthurt to go around at the Codex, trust me. People are just more straightforward about things there which is both good and bad.

Back
Top Bottom