Starfield - Official Gameplay Reveal

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Redglyph spotted that Bethesda has released their official Starfield gameplay reveal:

Starfield Official Gameplay Reveal

Bethesda's long awaited intergalactic RPG finally gets a gameplay reveal. We get a look at in-game environments, gunplay, characters, a glimpse of its story, and its in-depth character creator, including specific body trais, and even how you walk. Starfield is expected to release in 2023.

More information.

I know its still a ways off and I know it will still be full of bugs at launch, and yet I am happy!

Am I entirely wrong or did Bethesda just pick up where a certain other Star-themed game got bogged down and actually finish that game, sort of?

Count me in for the ride, I think.

Last edited:
Wow, the scope of this thing! It seems this is what No Man's Sky was supposed to be.
Only thing I didn't like was the combat which felt "unsatisfying".

It looks promising, but I have a feeling those 1000 planets they tout as explorable are going to be generic and/or empty. I cannot imagine how they can make a planet explorable. When I hear planet I hear a huge surface, which I doubt they will do. Or if they do it will mostly be barren and have no reason to explore it. I have a feeling the 1000 planets is the same sort of marketing gimmick as was the 16x the detail in Fallout 76.

At least it looks a lot better graphically than their previous titles. We’ll have to wait and see.

It's not really hard to imagine how they did it. They did the same thing 25 years ago with Daggerfall. The majority of those planets will simply be optional locations to farm for XP and resources.

I'm fine with that. Like with Daggerfall, you just have to realize that you're not going to find much (if any) unique stuff in the random places. I assume the main questline will have plenty of unique locations, etc.

You can generate landscapes of 1000 planets and have several points of interest crafted by hand. This still can work.
I hope deliver because I like what I saw.

It looks promising, but I have a feeling those 1000 planets they tout as explorable are going to be generic and/or empty. I cannot imagine how they can make a planet explorable. When I hear planet I hear a huge surface, which I doubt they will do. Or if they do it will mostly be barren and have no reason to explore it. I have a feeling the 1000 planets is the same sort of marketing gimmick as was the 16x the detail in Fallout 76.

At least it looks a lot better graphically than their previous titles. We’ll have to wait and see.

The thing is...this is bethesda, you know they will be able to mod the living hell out of this....so many planets to add on to.

I'm hyped huge here.

In my view the game will at least be solid from a fun gameplay standpoint (and hopefully from a bugs standpoint which remains to be seen) so I have no worries there, whether it's the ground shooting, space combat, exploration, or whatever. I'm pretty darn confident that I will enjoy the gameplay.

As with most any of these types of games my view will heavily depend upon the writing of the storylines, characters, etc. Elder Scrolls games have always been average for me on that aspect and unlike most other story-based games I've enjoyed I've never had a desire to replay another Elder Scrolls game or play beyond the main story.

Do you feel the hype train my brothers…Choo..Choo…It's starting.

images

9k=

(While a sweet whisper in my ear says remember Cyberpunk 2077.)

To bad the rest of the year for large budget games is barren with delays to 2023.

You can generate landscapes of 1000 planets and have several points of interest crafted by hand. This still can work.
I hope deliver because I like what I saw.

In general, I don't agree. Not if you mean you can sprinkle points of interest throughout the entirety of those 100 systems. That would be like participating in an easter egg hunt in which 1000 eggs were hidden in a park the size of Yellowstone.

What you can perhaps do is signpost the bespoke content clearly and then procedurally generate landscapes with resources and aliens and such, allowing players to see different things geographically and fight and craft to their heart's content... but stumble across an NPC or a quest or anything really unique? Nope. It'll probably be more like a landing pad near a town or outpost or whatever (a la Outer Worlds), and then strike off into the wilderness to meet basic quest objectives ("I can fix your engines, but I'm going to need a lot of carbon, and oh, the frilly crest of the Yellow Warbling Rockspitter would be nice too")

Agree with JFarrell71. Although they might also put some randomly generated towns/settlements in the planets that have NPC's that assign Radiant AI type quests.

I really hate that because sometimes I have trouble determining whether I am accepting a unique quest or not. I hated those repetitive radiant AI quests from Skyrim - I just want to do all the "real" handcrafted quests.

I did like a lot of what I saw though. I am not sure I will play this on day 1 but I am quite hyped. Sci-fi is main area of interest.

I really hate that because sometimes I have trouble determining whether I am accepting a unique quest or not. I hated those repetitive radiant AI quests from Skyrim - I just want to do all the "real" handcrafted quests.

They made that clear in Skyrim by giving full on quests their own independent quest log tracking and lumping all the others into one entry with one line of text each to describe them.

I agree that it should be clear. Maybe they'll do something similar here.

About signposts for unique locations - I'd rather they didn't point everything out, but I'm guessing they probably will for most of it.

I actually like the idea of a system so large that it's possible to miss lots of unique stuff. I think it's more interesting to learn of some things through the community rather than having everything pointed out in-game.

So this is how Fallout looks like when on Space :)

I'm eager to kill those pesky space rats in one's basement spaceship's cargo area :p

Last edited:

At least it looks a lot better graphically than their previous titles. We'll have to wait and see.

And even if those 1,000 planets are going to be fully explorable, are Bethesda really expecting that a lot of players really do explore all of them?

In any case, I liked what I saw in the video. Will keep an eye on this game :)

Spotted on Reddit:
No Man's Skyrim

Imaginative...They are right though they are both set in space....I'm not sure what you would expect a rpg to look like?

BTW, if you haven't watched the 4k stream it looks a lot better then the show case.

Back
Top Bottom