Starfield - Official Gameplay Reveal

As I was joking with a friend I am hoping I am still alive, have enough of my facilities left, and have the income to keep up on computers, to play it :p
Yeah they should start farming out the IP's to other Microsoft developers to free up resources for other projects. I'm guessing Todd wont allow it to happen though.

Even the Skyrim grandma told Todd to hurry up.

Link - https://www.pcgamer.com/skyrim-gran...esda-would-hurry-up-with-the-elder-scrolls-6/
It was during the Q&A portion of her panel that Curry was asked what she'd say to Todd Howard if he were in attendance. "How about 'Hi'?" Curry said, as reported by Rock Paper Shotgun who attended the panel. "No, I'd ask him to give me a cool game, and I'd ask him to hurry up and finish making Skyrim 6." The crowd erupted in applause and cheers. "I want to play it before I die," she added, before laughing along with the audience.

Starfield - Pete Hines Developer Overview | Xbox & Bethesda Showcase 2022

Bethesda's VP of Marketing Pete Hines gives more details about the studio's upcoming sci-fi RPG.
Starfield: Developer Interview With Todd Howard

During IGN's Summer of Gaming 2022, we were lucky enough to speak to Bethesda Game Studios' Todd Howard today and, in the process learned a lot more about Starfield - not to mention heard a mention of Fallout's future. In conversation with Ryan McCaffrey, Howard followed up on a number of elements we learned about for first time during Starfield's gameplay reveal at the Xbox-Bethesda showcase last weekend.

Since I loved FO4 and have over 4000 hours in it I don't mind if Starfield is similar myself. I don't compare games to past versions or other past games when it comes to deciding if I like a game. I simply take each game as it is and decide if I like it based on what it presents and its own merits.

The point is the games would almost certainly be better if they still had a decent numbers of skills/stats and other components. It is a win-win for everyone. Someone who wants less complexity just needs to choose a pre-built class.

Maybe you would of played it for 6000 hours instead of the measly 4000 hours you have :)

They briefly show some of the planet surfaces starting from 14:48.
One thing I noticed is how underwhelming the vegetation is. It's just some plants scattered on top of a rocky surface. Even the wooded planet at 14:52 looks shallow and lifeless. Has anyone seen water anywhere?

I mean if it's a potential part of the game to wander on the planets, the scenery should at least look well and diverse.

Don't worry, we can always count on @vurt; to embellish flora and vegetation :)

Speaking of him, is he still on the modding scene? He has been missing here. Vurt, hurry up! We have until end of July before things go boom here!!

You missed the point though :p I only said I judge a game on its own merits not its past history. Maybe X would be better maybe not. I am simply saying I am not going to say game A is bad because it doesn't have something one of its past versions had. Maybe it adds new stuff I like. Whatever, I don't see much point living in the past myself.

Last edited:
So 2028 by the earliest then as E6 isn't even finished yet. That is not good news.:(

Honestly, I think 2028 would be good news. That seems like an optimistic date to me, given how long they take between games.

You figure Starfield comes out in 2023. They release some DLC over the next couple of years, so they don't fully enter production on VI until then. Elder Scrolls VI comes out in, say, 2026. At a minimum. No way it only takes them two more years to release Fallout 5.

I think we're looking at the 2030's.

Btw, not a judgment, but 4000 hours in a game is something I can't wrap my head around. The games I've played the most don't get close to quadruple digits, and it feels like I played them forever.

Don't worry, we can always count on @vurt to embellish flora and vegetation :)

Speaking of him, is he still on the modding scene? He has been missing here. Vurt, hurry up! We have until end of July before things go boom here!!
Vurt left the site from what I remember. His last post was March 16th, 2020.
I'm amazed at the absolute stupidity on this forum. I won't return. Have fun.
Honestly, I think 2028 would be good news. That seems like an optimistic date to me, given how long they take between games.

You figure Starfield comes out in 2023. They release some DLC over the next couple of years, so they don't fully enter production on VI until then. Elder Scrolls VI comes out in, say, 2026. At a minimum. No way it only takes them two more years to release Fallout 5.

I think we're looking at the 2030's.
I was being generous with my estimate but sometime in 2030's sounds more plausible.

I'll be in my 50's at that that point. :(

You missed the point though :p I only said I judge a game on its own merits not its past history. Maybe X would be better maybe not. I am simply saying I am not going to say game A is bad because it doesn't have something one of its past versions had. Maybe it adds new stuff I like. Whatever, I don't see much point living in the past myself.

It's not about "living in the past", whatever that means. It's about having an opinion on whether a design paradigm is better or not. If you think a reductive pattern is a good thing then you are probably in good company though with the general masses. Ideally all cognitive processes will be replaced with a single "awesome" button. Click the left mouse and the mob dies, that is all you need to worry about.

It's not about "living in the past", whatever that means. It's about having an opinion on whether a design paradigm is better or not. If you think a reductive pattern is a good thing then you are probably in good company though with the general masses. Ideally all cognitive processes will be replaced with a single "awesome" button. Click the left mouse and the mob dies, that is all you need to worry about.

Lol clearly not getting the point. Probably on purpose. Done here :) Cheers!

Lol clearly not getting the point. Probably on purpose. Done here :) Cheers!

I am getting it I was just being unintentionally obtuse I guess. I was trying to get you to articulate why you think a simpler system is better.

I'll make it a simpler question. Do you think Fallout 4 would of been a better for you if you had of had more character options?

I did notice another improvement. The character building now allows for selection of both a Background and 3 traits. All these selections do apparently impact how both other characters react to you and some skill checks etc. That is definately a big improvement over Fallout 4.

The ship combat has me excited as well. I just finished 110 hours of playing x:rebirth and that game had reasonable ship combat except for the AI so I'm ready for something that hopefully has a decent AI behind it - something that BethSoft normally does pretty well in. I would love to have a decent challenge in that part of the game.

Btw, not a judgment, but 4000 hours in a game is something I can't wrap my head around. The games I've played the most don't get close to quadruple digits, and it feels like I played them forever.

Once you start authoring mods, stuff gets magnified.

Looks ok to me. I know I'll pick it up eventually, probably when it's a GotY and is (mostly) fixed and complete so as to avoid the inevitable growing pains.

I would think that Beth would be pretty happy if this ends up being Skyrim in space - Skyrim is still selling after what, 11 years?

Well if you add all my replays of the Fallout and Elder Scrolls games my total time comes very close to wolfgrimdark. Playing mods and making your own add playtime as well.

Well if you add all my replays of the Fallout and Elder Scrolls games my total time comes very close to wolfgrimdark. Playing mods and making your own add playtime as well.

Just interested, does this mean you are also more selective in what you play? For context, most games I play end up from anywhere from 50 to 150 hours but I play a very broad range of games. If you are playing 1000+ does that mean you play less games? I am also what most people could consider a heavy gamer i.e. I can do 30-40 hours a fortnight according to Steam which is only one of the platforms I use...

Just interested, does this mean you are also more selective in what you play? For context, most games I play end up from anywhere from 50 to 150 hours but I play a very broad range of games. If you are playing 1000+ does that mean you play less games? I am also what most people could consider a heavy gamer i.e. I can do 30-40 hours a fortnight according to Steam which is only one of the platforms I use.
I'm very selective as I mentioned before. Nothing against most games but I always end up going back to certain games. Right now I'm mostly playing HOI 4 with various mods.

Probably clocked close to 1,000 hrs with that game since it launched. Now having said that I do play other games and usually finish them in 30-50hrs. So faster then most.

Last edited:
I did notice another improvement. The character building now allows for selection of both a Background and 3 traits. All these selections do apparently impact how both other characters react to you and some skill checks etc. That is definately a big improvement over Fallout 4.

The ship combat has me excited as well. I just finished 110 hours of playing x:rebirth and that game had reasonable ship combat except for the AI so I'm ready for something that hopefully has a decent AI behind it - something that BethSoft normally does pretty well in. I would love to have a decent challenge in that part of the game.

I don't see how that's a "big" improvement, but it's good to hear that we're getting that at least. Personally, I'd much rather have a return to a full skill system. I don't care much about perks or traits.

I'm also excited about the ship combat, although I don't expect it to be very complex. In fact, just talking about Starfield the last couple of days has me thinking about giving No Man's Sky another go.

I don't see how that's a "big" improvement, but it's good to hear that we're getting that at least. Personally, I'd much rather have a return to a full skill system. I don't care much about perks or traits.

My memory must have been foggy when I wrote that. I thought you didn't do anything in F4 but you actually do get to choose an initial selection of stats (effectively perks). I didn't actually see the stat allocation in Starfield, was their anything or is that a step backwards?

Hmm..it makes sense from a scientific point of view. As the game is set in an Early Space Age of exploration. Even today it wouldn't be easy to land a large star ship on earth.

A shuttle I could see working though.:thinking:

Back
Top Bottom