Owlcat Starfinder?

I'd like a sci-fi setting but I'm not sure about Starfinder anymore, or even a game by Owlcat Games, on second thought. Or then it's only for the sake of variety, and curiosity.

I came to realize that an important part of what I enjoy in modern settings is the ability to click on things, activate mechanisms and to play with futuristic gadgets. So a good level of interaction with the environment; more like Encased than Pathfinder, for ex. Or like most of Bethesda Game Studios' games regarding the interactivity.

Owlcat Games are great for the story, quests and the ruleset, but not the environment which is almost static (even the NPCs).

Perhaps that it's hard to picture sci-fi combat with a D&D ruleset too.

So Starfield may be a more appropriate format for me… which is a strange conclusion. It's just that it won't have a good story, great quests or rich companions like Pathfinder. We can't have it all, can we?

Story and companion interactions are what I value the most in RPGs so I need those :p I'm less keen on environment interactivity - it feels too gimmicky for me most of the time. I did enjoy environment interactivity in some games like MHW and Wildermyth, so its not like I hate them, its just not my preferred content choice.

I think the only D&D like sci fi combat I experienced was KotOR1 but I certainly found it very boring for some reason.

I liked KotOR but it didn't leave an everlasting impression. I enjoyed the funny dialogues with HK-47 and the general atmosphere of the game, but the combats were just OK, and I wasn't a big fan of the format.

It felt more superficial in story, companions, and combat, perhaps that's why it could feel boring?

I see no reason why SciFi combat wouldn't work in a D20 ruleset. Blasters aren't any different from bows. What else could be a problem?

I see no reason why SciFi combat wouldn't work in a D20 ruleset. Blasters aren't any different from bows. What else could be a problem?

It's not a problem, just that I'm not used to it and it feels strange. For one, modern ranged weapons are so much more precise and reliable than bows, so a limited range and the randomness will feel even more artificial.

It felt more superficial in story, companions, and combat, perhaps that's why it could feel boring?

Yes, could be - to me, KotOR1 screamed fan service for SW fans and didn't seem very interesting for those who don't know a thing about SW (that's me)

It's not a problem, just that I'm not used to it and it feels strange. For one, modern ranged weapons are so much more precise and reliable than bows, so a limited range and the randomness will feel even more artificial.

I think it makes sense since its more precise gun vs. more sophisticated armor as well - explains why you still miss with the gun ;)

Yes, could be - to me, KotOR1 screamed fan service for SW fans and didn't seem very interesting for those who don't know a thing about SW (that's me)

You haven't watched SW?? O_O
But yes, that would remove a part of the motivation to play the game.

I think it makes sense since its more precise gun vs. more sophisticated armor as well - explains why you still miss with the gun ;)

Well, maybe, but it's possible to miss without armour too. We can surely find possible justifications for all that, or just accept the rules for the sake of the game. I'm just saying it feels strange, but I'm sure it would be fine after playing it for a while. :)

You haven't watched SW?? O_O
But yes, that would remove a part of the motivation to play the game.

Haven't watched a single SW movie ;) KotOR1 was my first exposure to SW

Back
Top Bottom