Starpoint Gemini 2

RPGWatch

An RPGWatch Bot
Administrator
Captain your own space ship and roam the galaxy in 3D in this tactical space simulator with tons of RPG depth ! Space has never looked so inviting - but images can betray...

It has been two years since the end of the second Gemini war, and the situation in the wartorn system is further from resolution than ever before. The collection of freedom fighters named Gemini League is now reduced to a small group, with no power or influence, after losing their leaders. The Empire meanwhile, has used the re-opened Starpoint to occupy the once renegade Gemini sector - and beyond.

A multitude of Imperial warship fleets and mammoth motherships have crushed every trace of opposition. The situation was looking bleak, when they suddenly halted their armada and re-shifted their focus on fortifying Starpoint with staggering numbers. Rumours soon spread that they were afraid of something coming after them through the T-gate, from what was supposed to be the core of the Empire. What are they running from that makes even the mighty Empire tremble?

Starpoint Gemini 2 will take players on a breath taking journey, with dark secrets and unimaginable twists that will finally unveil the incredible truth...

Key features:

• Complex, but easy-to-use RPG system, now coupled with dynamic real-time 3D combat.
  • Explore the dynamic game world as a whole, rather than through individual maps.
  • Use T-Gates, wormholes and riftways to travel faster around the Gemini system .
  • Fifty diverse factions ranging from states and companies to outlaws, locked in a powerstruggle, with over 100 commodities to trade or plunder.
  • Special revocable licenses acquired from factions offer various bonuses and unlock new options.
  • Hire mercenary captains to follow you on your travels and share your fate, and employ officers to fill key positions on your ship (engineering, navigation, tactical).
  • Random missions get generated depending on the player’s actions and allegiances.
  • Over 70 unique ships, fully upgradeable with various ship systems, with a.o. visible turrets, and a large arsenal of destructive weapons to blast enemies to pieces.
  • Direct ship controls create complete immersion.
  • Advanced physics provided by NVIDIA PhysX technology
More information.

I liked Freelancer, but Freelancer had cooperative multiplayer. This doesn't.

I think I've played all I'm going to play now… time to sum it up before I forget it.

Since releasing, the Little Green Men have fixed tons of bugs and put in more features. The most important of them would be the Origins DLC, which is free to anyone who has the game. Why? Because it replaces the new game's story with the first game's story - which is definitely the better story. Get it and use it. You'll lose black hole travel and the "professional" voice actors but I think you'll be happier.

I'm not finishing the game largely because the options to make money in the game seem to be drying up. You can make money mining asteroids, doing missions, trading, scavenging derelicts, and capturing ships. Early in the game, they work great so it shouldn't take you too long to get out of your initial gunship. Unfortunately, as the prices for bigger ships rise, your options start going down. Right now I'm not really seeing any way to make money in a reasonable amount of time without capturing ships.

Still, it took at least 30 hours to get to that point and I had a lot of good fun over those hours. The ship battles have gotten FAR better than they were at release. Enemy ships can do some funky spin moves so don't expect to just sit on a ship's contrails and blast away like you could at release. There are quite a few ships to pick from, too, and you can collect quite a few if you're into pirating. The solar system is silly but it sure is beautiful. The music is also quite nice.

The RPG aspects are there but not terribly strong. I would typically get a few levels before bothering to spend my skill/perk points. Moving up to a new ship is definitely a much bigger deal than gaining a character level. The main quest (at least in Origins) has good missions but the random quests are just random little things with no story at all. This is a hybrid RPG for sure.

Overall I would say the game is worth the current $35 price tag. It's a good change of pace when you've had your fill of swords and sorcery.

P.S. As I mentioned in the main topic, bigger ship doesn't mean its better at everything. When your ship weight class increases, you MUST change your tactics to take advantage of the new strengths.

Had a lot of fun with the initial release of Starpoint Gemini 2 and the first DLC. The game it most reminds me of is Space Rangers 2. Will be playing the new free DLC Origins and not worrying about money drying up because my favorite thing to do is capturing ships and selling the booty. I'm a pirate at heart. Always was.

Back
Top Bottom