Starsector - Update 0.95.1a

Redglyph

SasqWatch
@vanedor spotted an update to Starsector, thanks!

Starsector 0.95.1a Release

Update (12/11/21, 9:20pm EST): a hotfix for a crash caused by defeating a [REDACTED] station and then a fleet in the same system is out; please re-download the game using the links below.

Update (12/11/21, 4:00pm EST): a hotfix for an audio issue, background flickering during new game creation, cleanup of some dev options left in a dialog, and a few other issues (full list of changes here) is out.

Starsector version 0.95.1a is now out! This is a .1 release, meaning it's focused on polish, bugfixing, and quality-of-life improvements - but more than the normal share of new features and sweeping changes have found their way into this one, as well!

• Skill system changed for more flexible builds with more options
  • Several new game-changing top-tier skills, and other new skills
  • All skills can be re-specced, no more "permanent" skills
  • New ships: Eradicator-class Fast Cruiser, Manticore-class Destroyer, Vanguard-class Frigate
  • Missions show the mission target location prior being accepted
  • Dynamic slipstreams that enable quick and efficient travel in hyperspace
  • Sensor ghosts in hyperspace!
  • Improved early access to ships and weapons through arms dealers
  • Phase cloak changes to make phase ships easier to deal with if they're outmatched
  • Ship AI improvements; ability to issue a "defend" order targeting a friendly ship
  • Various balance changes to improve variety
  • Modding improvements
  • Assorted bugfixing, polish, and numerous quality-of-life improvements
There are many more changes; the full patch notes, and the comment thread, are here. This new release should be save-compatible. Due to the skill system changes, skill points and story points invested into any elite skills will be refunded, and the skills will be reset when a save from the previous release is loaded.

You can download the new version here [Edit. try from the site first]: Windows Mac Linux

As always, thank you for your support! I deeply appreciate it.
More information.

Love that game and love how it keeps getting updated, year after year.

I created a game entry in the database, let me know if something's off.

I suppose that the combat is real-time, that there is no voice acting?
How about the release, it seems they're not following any regular pattern. It's not yet version 1.0, but no planned release date either? (I only see "when it's ready")
I put "3rd person view" and "adventure RPG", I think it's the closest we can get, but I may be wrong.

I created a game entry in the database, let me know if something's off.

I suppose that the combat is real-time, that there is no voice acting?
How about the release, it seems they're not following any regular pattern. It's not yet version 1.0, but no planned release date either? (I only see "when it's ready")
I put "3rd person view" and "adventure RPG", I think it's the closest we can get, but I may be wrong.

Yeah, real time with pause to take the time to give orders to the ships in your fleet (if you have one) with a well-done tactical view. Yeah, it's 3rd person, top-down if you want to be more precise. Not sure about the "Adventure RPG". I think it's more a Strategy RPG with lot of 4x elements. You can build your fleet, conquer planets/systems, I see it as a sort of Mount & Blade ( https://www.rpgwatch.com/games/mount-blade-ii--bannerlord-599.html ) in space with top-down combats instead of first person. It's certainly not as beautiful but the strategic layer is more complete. And thanks to the third person view, battles are much easier to control even if in the end, you control directly just one ship. (but nice touch, you can take a shuttle and transfer to another ship during a battle :) )

The game is in development since at least 2013 and I have no idea when the developer is planning to finish it. For the playtime, given the procedural nature of the game, I would say «Unlimited» :)

Last edited:
By the way, I see platform Unknown in the game bio. It's actually on PC, MAC and Linux.

That's strange, I entered "PC" and that's what I see. Anyone else can confirm?

EDIT: I just tried in incognito mode to be sure it has nothing to do with credentials or something else. I see "PC". Aren't you mixing up with "Play-time"?
I don't know how long it's supposed to be, not sure that field is very important anyway. :)

This could be cool. I find it odd that most people wonder about multiplayer. It seems meaty enough without it.

This is the best 10 bucks I ever spent on a game! I've been playing it off and on since it first came out it's almost like it's a new game every time there's a major update but I don't expect it to be released for at least a couple more years.
I believe it's only one or two people working on the project and doing it in their spare time.

This is the best 10 bucks I ever spent on a game! I've been playing it off and on since it first came out it's almost like it's a new game every time there's a major update but I don't expect it to be released for at least a couple more years.
I believe it's only one or two people working on the project and doing it in their spare time.

Preach, preach! :)

Back
Top Bottom