Steam Next Fest, June 2022

Redglyph

SasqWatch
This is about to start (June 13-20), and some demos are already available.

Lost Eidolons: it's a 12.4-GB download (ouch). I'm currently downloading it.

Brewmaster: Simulation/sandbox. I know, I know… not the typical game we're talking about here, but I saw it on BluesNews so here you are.

Lore: horror/stealth/exploration. Actually I'm not sure it's part of Next Fest but it's a new demo.

Cybercop: cyberpunk/shooter.

Cult of the Lamb: dungeon crawler/roguelite

Daydream: Forgotten Sorrow: action/adventure

Glimmer in Mirror: metroidvania.

Ghost Song: another metroidvania.

Fay’s Factory: TB RPG

Nine Sols: 2D souls-like

Ugh. Lost Eidolons is made with Unity, so as per my usual rant, I'll report that it was very slow to load and was using almost all my GPU for no apparent reason. I wasn't too impressed by the overall presentation either.

Finally, it's hard-coded for QWERTY keyboards, so I've already uninstalled it. Hopefully someone else will have more patience than me with this demo.

Ugh. Lost Eidolons is made with Unity, so as per my usual rant, I'll report that it was very slow to load and was using almost all my GPU for no apparent reason. I wasn't too impressed by the overall presentation either.

Finally, it's hard-coded for QWERTY keyboards, so I've already uninstalled it. Hopefully someone else will have more patience than me with this demo.

I was going to try this I haven't had any problems with games made with the unity engine. What do you mean hard coded for QWERTY keyboards though?

The WASD keys cannot be changed, so it's not great on AZERTY…

Been building my own PC’s since the 90’s and never knew that Azerty was a thing. :lol:

In my defense I’ve used the same keyboard for over 15 years now. Steelseries Merc Stealth. Bought a second one a few years ago in case this one ever breaks. Hopefully they’ll last my lifetime as I wouldn’t want to go back to a regular keyboard for gaming.

All of the Unity RPGs pack a large install size. All of them end up being 30-70 GB's after installation. Don't they compress games anymore, or is there some other reason why?

Also yeah each have the same problem's every new release. Ripper would tell you it's not the engines fault, but the code monkeys and system designers of each game.

Been building my own PC’s since the 90’s and never knew that Azerty was a thing. :lol:

Neither did the devs, I suspect. ;) I used Qwerty layouts a lot, but it's a pain for the diacritics.

There's a number of different layouts depending on the country in Europe, Asia and so on. Azerty is mainly used in some French-speaking countries of Europe and Africa, and sometimes in Vietnam. Germans prefer Qwertz.

It's quite historical, like the Qwerty. It comes from the layout of typewriters where they were somewhat optimized for an efficient use of all fingers when blind typing, but also so that the mechanical parts (these little print hammers) wouldn't collide with one another and jam when typing fast.

Since they're not really in use anymore, people have come with Dvorak (English - although it's not really optimal) and Bépo (French) layouts, and yet others. They're pretty rare in comparison because the old layouts wouldn't die, like most standards when they come first.

It's silly, if people had chosen ESFX instead of WASD, just one key to the right, it would have been the same for almost everyone. ;)

I've tried a few of the demos, but I'm not seeing a lot of quality so far.

The best one I've played is Selaco. It's an old-school FPS that's feels like a cross between Doom and System Shock.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1592280/Selaco/

According to ganme's Steam page, "Planned Release Date: Demo on June 13. Full release in 2255". At least I'll have plenty of time to empty my gaming list before playing this one :p

According to ganme's Steam page, "Planned Release Date: Demo on June 13. Full release in 2255". At least I'll have plenty of time to empty my gaming list before playing this one :p

Yes, I suppose they didn't want to answer the usual question "when does it release?" and made it abundantly clear :lol:
@JDR13; How's the AI, is it as smart as they claim?

Yes, I suppose they didn't want to answer the usual question "when does it release?" and made it abundantly clear :lol:

@JDR13; How's the AI, is it as smart as they claim?

I didn't notice anything special about the AI. Enemies take cover and will try to circle around to flank you, but AI was doing that 15+ years ago in F.E.A.R.

For an indie game though, it's pretty solid. The level design is good, and there are a lot of secrets to find. The sound design and atmosphere are also well done.

The only thing I didn't like was some of the FX. For example, enemy soldiers bleed purple and will gib from normal gunfire.

I tried 1428: Shadows over Silesia (adventure, historical/fantasy setting).

The intro is well done, and I like the style of the graphics, but the controls are terrible and confusing.

I'll keep an eye on it though, if they can overcome their problems with the controls and the combat, it could be a nice indie game.

I tried 1428: Shadows over Silesia (adventure, historical/fantasy setting).

The intro is well done, and I like the style of the graphics, but the controls are terrible and confusing.

I'll keep an eye on it though, if they can overcome their problems with the controls and the combat, it could be a nice indie game.

I tried that as well. Yeah, the intro is pretty cool and makes it seem like you're in for a more complex experience.

I got used to the controls, but the gameplay was too simplistic. I quit at the point where they hand you a bunch of torches to burn houses. Boring…

I tried that as well. Yeah, the intro is pretty cool and makes it seem like you're in for a more complex experience.

I got used to the controls, but the gameplay was too simplistic. I quit at the point where they hand you a bunch of torches to burn houses. Boring…

Past that there is more hunting and I ended up alone against several enemies in a cave and no real way to win the fight since I was already wounded. Unless I missed something it's not very subtle, I agree. I hope they can make the experience more motivating.

Back
Top Bottom