HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
IGN checked out Steeelrising:

Steelrising Is Looking Like a Surprisingly Good Bloodborne Tribute

Vive la Soulslike.

Developer Spiders is best known as something of a BioWare tribute studio. Its most successful game, GreedFall, is the latest in a modest line of RPGs that draw heavily upon the likes of Mass Effect and Dragon Age. But Spiders' next game, Steelrising, is nothing like a BioWare game at all. Instead, it's an ode to FromSoftware. Specifically, it is Bloodborne set in the French Revolution, with Yarnham's beasts swapped out for Parisian clockwork robots. As a pitch, it sounds a little derivative (at least mechanically). But despite seemingly minimal innovations, playing Steelrising reveals something that has genuine promise.

At a recent hands-on event I was able to play around three hours of Steelrising, which covered the opening locations and the first major boss. Playing as Aegis, a clockwork automaton ballerina-turned-bodyguard, I explored a small variety of twisty rural village and Parisian city locations that knotted themselves together with shortcut routes. As I tore apart robotic enemies with blades and bullets I collected Anima Essence, a resource that I could use to upgrade my stats and improve my weapons, provided I didn't lose it upon death. Upgrades were conducted at 'Vestal' checkpoints, which also refilled my health restoring oil burette with a fresh supply. If it's not already clear, Steelrising plays exactly like a FromSoftware game.

[...]

More information.

Is Steelrising more like Dark Souls and less like Greedfall ?

Sadly each article makes me less excited for this game :(

When I buy a Spiders game/RPG, I expect a slightly janky action RPG with proper character development/systems and a half-baked crafting system. There should be one or more companions who will tank for me while I flail around trying to re-learn the combat. The world will be novel/interesting and unlike other RPGs, making the whole experience different and intriguing.

Please keep up the good work, Spiders, and don't deviate :)

Pre-Purchase Steelrising - Steam
Paris, 1789. The city is in the grip of terror. The Revolution has been suppressed with bloodshed by Louis XVI and his merciless mechanical army. It falls to Aegis, an engineering marvel, to take on the king's ranks of automatons and change the course of history.
Steelrising Hands-On Preview

Steelrising is looking like a respectable tribute to FromSoftware's games, despite its lower budget and rough edges.
Steelrising Gameplay Preview Hands-On Impressions - Soulslike RPG

Steelrising Gameplay Preview Hands-On Impressions “ On top of the upcoming GreedFall 2: The Dying World, developer Spiders has been mighty busy creating a Soulslike Action RPG, which I was fortunate enough to try.
Interview: We spoke to Jehanne Rousseau - Mydroll
Steelrising is a 3rd person, combat-focused, souls-like game set in an alternate Paris in 1789, during the french revolution. Mechanical monsters are tearing through Paris killing everyone and you’ve got to stop them.

We sat down with the Producer, lead writer, CEO and co-founder of developer Spiders Jehanne Rousseau.

Last edited:
Is Steelrising more like Dark Souls and less like Greedfall ?
Yes it's another cash grab riding on the Dark Souls and Elden Ring fame. Most of these so called clones can't compare to the games, and unfortunately we'll see more of them.

Anyway Spiders is making Greedfall 2 as well.

Hope they make enough cash with this one to boost Greedfall 2 development.

Greedfall seems to be more my type of game than Steelrising, but it seems that the reception was not great, like all their previous games. Is that because it's not great, or just because it's just not for everyone? Several user reviews says it's fine, just not memorable.

Greedfall seems to be more my type of game than Steelrising, but it seems that the reception was not great, like all their previous games. Is that because it's not great, or just because it's just not for everyone? Several user reviews says it's fine, just not memorable.
I had made a thread about when I played a few months ago.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...&share_fid=64865&share_type=t&link_source=app

I enjoyed it a lot and it's not too long.

Main issue for me was that there was lots of backtracking if I remember.
Hope the link works as its a Tapatalk link.

Found another interview this week for both games.

Jehanne Rousseau Interview: Steelrising & Greedfall 2 - Screenrant
Jehanne Rousseau recently spoke to Screen Rant during the Nacon's Bigben week event about Greedfall 2: The Dying World, which was announced during the event, and the upcoming Steelrising, about the game's inspirations, the additions to the game based on the player feedback received so far, and what players can expect to face on the blood-stained streets of Paris.

I enjoyed it a lot and it's not too long.

Main issue for me was that there was lots of backtracking if I remember.
Hope the link works as its a Tapatalk link.

I guess it depends on your play style, but I spent just over 100 hours on my playthrough. It was very much a completionist run though.

For me, the game seemed to drag towards the end, but that's probably my fault for exhausting the content the way I did.

Yes it's another cash grab riding on the Dark Souls and Elden Ring fame. Most of these so called clones can't compare to the games, and unfortunately we'll see more of them.

Anyway Spiders is making Greedfall 2 as well.

Good news :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom