Steelrising - Review @ RPGFan

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
RPGFan has reviewed Steelrising:

Steelrising Review

The cojones it takes to release a Soulslike in the era of FromSoftware. But what, in reality, is a Soulslike? It depends on who you ask, which can also be said of roguelikes. However, all that matters is whether or not a game is enjoyable. Steelrising departs from the Soulslike formula in meaningful ways, confidently striding into its own realm of fantastical historical fiction while offering a comfy, breezy action RPG experience.

[...]

Steelrising will catch grief from people who want it to be Dark Souls. And it's not Dark Souls. Nor should it be. This is a competent, well-designed game that seems to focus on accessibility and reimagining history using a quasi-steampunk aesthetic. Does it have problems? Certainly! The enemies are samey, the platforming is tiresome, the sidequests focus on retracing steps far too often, and the graphics issues will irritate many. That said, I love it. This is a fun game. Soulslike purists will lambaste Steelrising for being too easy and short (about 15 hours), but I'd argue that the genre needs this game. The barrier for entry is far too high for many people who just want to have fun, and Steelrising gives those folks the ability to enjoy this genre. I'm not about gatekeeping. I, for one, applaud Spiders (the developer) for this bold work and hope we see more titles like it.

Score: 81/100
More information.

I liked the review of the game and tend to agree with the authors stance.

So.. is it actually a soulslike, or is that term simply being used now for any game with action combat?

Their previous games were certainly not soulslikes in any way, shape or form.

Back
Top Bottom