Strategy Games With Characters Of Some Kind

How are people feeling about stuff like Terra Invicta, Star Dynasties, Old World, Stellar Monarch 2, Alliance of the Sacred Suns, and Shadows of Forbidden Gods these days?

The only strategy games with which I felt it had more or less real characters was to me the "Age Of Wonders" series, the first 3 games. With the 1st one still being my favourite one.

How are people feeling about stuff like Terra Invicta, Star Dynasties, Old World, Stellar Monarch 2, Alliance of the Sacred Suns, and Shadows of Forbidden Gods these days?

I tried the demo for Terra Invicta and I posted my impressions here in a comment which, by its turn, has a link to the Steam thread I created, sharing a little more deeply my thoughts about the game.

As for the other games you listed, I haven't tried them yet.

Last edited:
I tried the demo for Terra Invicta and I posted my impressions here in a comment which, by your turn, has a link to the Steam thread I created, sharing a little more deeply my thoughts about the game.

As for the other games you listed, I haven't tried them yet.

Yeah I also had trouble initially because the "button" for actually assigning the mission just reads as a textbox for me.

TI, much like most strategy games, is indeed terrible at conveying what is important and why.

It's tough to do characters in a strategy game. Tactics are another matter. Valkyria Chronicles and Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children jump to mind.

But strategy? I've seen plenty of games with heroes that have stats you can increase and skills to learn, but there's not much character to them.

It's tough to do characters in a strategy game. Tactics are another matter. Valkyria Chronicles and Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children jump to mind.

But strategy? I've seen plenty of games with heroes that have stats you can increase and skills to learn, but there's not much character to them.

I mean I think the social simulation is paper thin but CK2-3 does have them. Of course they are mostly stat blocks.

In Crusader Kings, story-driven development of your character is a significant part of the gameplay, and for many players even the most important. I wouldn't say this element is "paper-thin," especially if you have all the DLCs

In Crusader Kings, story-driven development of your character is a significant part of the gameplay, and for many players even the most important. I wouldn't say this element is "paper-thin," especially if you have all the DLCs
Well if you don't play many games and you have no personal imagination you probably can't understand why it is paper thin. CK2 of course is ahead of 3 in some places and behind in others. But mechanically the game is incredibly weak. Lots of single target rigid unintegrated/uninteractive systems locked behid culture/religion that don't cohere well. Looks pretty, in relative terms, though. Some people actually derive higher verisimilitude from simplistic shiny games vs mechanically deep ones.

OK, thanks for the psychoanalysis ; I admit, sometimes there are problems in CK 2 between the integration of different "systems", but I do not think it is as bad as you write.

Back
Top Bottom