Survey about Turn-based RPG preferences - help out an indie dev

Care to give a bit more info on what you're planning to do? :)
Do you have already have a company name for your new project?
Do you need to remain anonymous for the time being (I'd say I see no reason why, but you never know)?

Hey there, our company name is Ganymede Games. We're based in Las Cruces, New Mexico and we're a mix of folks who worked together at Riot Games, as well as people new to the game industry.

Let me know what else you'd like to know :)

Hey there, our company name is Ganymede Games. We're based in Las Cruces, New Mexico and we're a mix of folks who worked together at Riot Games, as well as people new to the game industry.

Let me know what else you'd like to know :)

You're ... real? O_O :D

Sorry, but we sometimes have bots that copy/paste a post from elsewhere to get in, and after a while your first post looked a bit like that ;)

Good luck, hope to see you around! :)

For information, the Kickstarter launches on November 16th, Xenotheria is the name of the game (a deck-based tactical RPG).

I received an email today to announce it and since it mentioned a survey, I retrieved this old thread, which was funny. I prepared a news post, then realized the URL they sent was personalized and linked to my email address, which was a bad surprise.

I haven't found a public version, unfortunately, so I had no other choice but to remove the post from the news.

At least you know the outcome of the survey. :)

According to the participants D:OS2 had the best combat system?! That's a surprise.

According to the participants D:OS2 had the best combat system?! That's a surprise.

Why?
It's also not the best combat system, but the best turn based combat system. So no Mass Effect or GTA ^^

From that List I only played DOS2 and WL3. The WL3 system isn't great. And if XCom2 is close to what its in XCom 1, I'll hate that.
I got zero complaints about the DOS2 system. I think that one was pretty perfect.

I haven't played DOS2, but if the combat system is anything like DOS1, it is far from perfect IMO.

I haven't played DOS2, but if the combat system is anything like DOS1, it is far from perfect IMO.

I dont think the differences were big and I dont remember any issues with DOS1 combat either.

The balancing was pretty bad in DOS1 though.

If it's raw statistics on the whole gamer population, perhaps it's not surprising seeing the sales. In the Watch we may prefer more mature and complex rulesets for the combat, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

If you just want to have fun, the D:OS2 system is a very good candidate: what you can do is not restricted by classes, there's a good level of interaction with the environment, you can find many interesting "combos" for one character or for the whole party, it's varied enough (and the game implements it well with nice graphics and sounds effects, which makes a good showcase for it).

They lowered the impact of AoE, because they wanted to keep them but at the same time it was too devastating in D:OS. And to compensate the omnipresence of fire, electrified water and so on, they split the armour in two types. They built on that with spells that only damaged one type of armour (without other impact) but had other devastating effects once this type was entirely removed.

The result is a combat clusterfuck and not very serious, but it's fun if you like to play casually.

D:OS2 the best combat system? Ah c'mon. It's a big mess with its double armor systems and combats that last forever. As far as turn-based rpgs are concerned, I even prefer Wasteland 3 system which is pretty intense.

D:OS2 the best combat system? Ah c'mon. It's a big mess with its double armor systems and combats that last forever. As far as turn-based rpgs are concerned, I even prefer Wasteland 3 system which is pretty intense.

Absolutely agree. The only thing that survey tells me is that a lot of gamers have shit taste. :)

Absolutely agree. The only thing that survey tells me is that a lot of gamers have shit taste. :)

Well, people will put in there what they know... and since D:OS2 is one of the most played game mentioned here, it's no surprise.

And Pokemon is #3 in most played, enough said :p

Although they don't specify what they mean by "most played", is that length (wouldn't be fair), is that number of runs, ...?

PC platform is #1 though, good point.

What puzzles me most is this:
"How do you feel about a card-driven combat system?
- yes: 14.9%
- no: 23.7%
- I'm skeptical: 41%
=> We're skeptical too. Right, let's do it!"

And Pokemon is #3 in most played, enough said :p

Although they don't specify what they mean by "most played", is that length (wouldn't be fair), is that number of runs, …?

PC platform is #1 though, good point.

What puzzles me most is this:
"How do you feel about a card-driven combat system?
- yes: 14.9%
- no: 23.7%
- I'm skeptical: 41%
=> We're skeptical too. Right, let's do it!"

Yeah...and that's why I will also not follow the game. ^^
Card mechanics repel me.

Final Fantasy X has a great combat system/mechanics, imo. I'm not sure it's good enough to be number two, yet it certainly punches Original Sin: Two in the throat, picks its pockets, and leaves it crying by comparison.

Back
Top Bottom