Tactics Ogre: Reborn - Review @ RPG Site

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
RPG Site reviewed Tactics Ogre: Reborn:

Tactics Ogre: Reborn Review

Although Tactics Ogre: Reborn is technically a remake of a remake, it is one that I've welcomed ever since it was finally announced (after a series of leaks). Tactics Ogre is one of the most wonderful strategy RPGs I've ever played - both the original version and its first remake on PSP. It has one of the most compelling narratives I've seen in an RPG, and its cast is superb in fleshing out its tale.

Despite my love for Tactics Ogre, I know that these aren't perfect games. Each of the previous versions were cumbersome or frustrating in its own way, so I hoped Tactics Ogre: Reborn would serve as the "definitive" edition for this excellent strategy RPG at last; naturally, Reborn will be the version that's easiest to play as time goes on, due to its availability on modern PlayStation & Nintendo platforms, as well as PC.

[...]

Tactics Ogre: Reborn is largely an excellent modern version of the classic strategy RPG. There are a myriad of improvements and enhancements to make it the most user-friendly version yet without compromising its difficulty. It is sometimes a delightfully brutal experience that pushed me to think carefully about my every move, though a lot of the gameplay alterations introduced in Tactics Ogre: Reborn didn't jive with me for the most part. The primary suspects are the universally inflated stat values across the board and the new temporary stat increase cards among other nitpicks. Everything that I love about Tactics Ogre outside of its battle system remains intact with the branching narrative system, the ways you can recruit characters, and the overall presentation of one of the most interesting narratives in video game history.

Score: 8/10
More information.

The best side-effect of this newly released remake is that the creator of the fantastic One Vision mod for Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together was forced to hurry up and finish his mod! So after many years of work and countless v0.97a....etc.. versions, he quickly reached v1.0 and announced that from now on, he'll only release small fixes and The Great Work is done! I'm sure he was excited to begin playing the remake, because he mentioned couple interesting technical additions were made that he found intriguing enough. :)

Back
Top Bottom