Tales of Arise - 2 Million Copies sold

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The action RPG Tales of Arise has sold 2 million copies -> tweet.

We're celebrating a new major milestone today, as #TalesofArise has reached 2 million copies sold!
We are so grateful for your precious support. Thank you!
More information.

Best RPG of 2021 by a massive margin over any runner ups, proven by the sales numbers, as well as the reviews.

Well deserved.

Good for the developer but 2 million sales really isn't that much of a success to brag about compared to other games that sell 10+ million in a year like Final Fantasy.;)

I never played it and JRPG's never get in the top five best RPGs list on RPGWatch. We do have a news-poster who's obsessed with them, and a few other members though.

Last edited:
Good for the developer but 2 million sales really isn't that much of a success to brag about compared to other games that sell 10+ million in a year like Final Fantasy.;)

I never played it and JRPG's never get in the to top five best RPGs list on RPGWatch. We do have a news-poster who's obsessed with them, and a few other members though.

That is a good point Couch, as certainly there are games out there with much bigger selling numbers then 2 million.

Tales of Arise seems like a great game for those that enjoy this kind of style and it has done very well, relatively speaking. It certainly appears to be popular with the masses based on the sales numbers and reviews. I am certain the developers put in a great deal of time and effort and the acclaim is very well deserved.

I also understand that some folks are fine with letting the masses inform them of what games are good or not but for myself I prefer to evaluate games based on my own likes and dislikes and don't require the masses to tell me whether a game is good or not.

Aye wolfgrimdark, I prefer to make those decisions for myself, or from a few friends and some folks here. I never go by what mass unknowns might say or think about a product, never have and likely never will. As for this Tales game itself, considering how I've felt about the last few in this franchise, I doubt I'll try this one.

Damn, all these unsolicited announcements at RPGWatch of people who prefer to play worse games are really making an impact on the sales of Tales of Arise and its success.

Oh, wait.

Aye wolfgrimdark, I prefer to make those decisions for myself, or from a few friends and some folks here. I never go by what mass unknowns might say or think about a product, never have and likely never will. As for this Tales game itself, considering how I've felt about the last few in this franchise, I doubt I'll try this one.

@Carnifex; - I know your taste:
Let me tell you, that Tales of Arise plays more like a Western RPG like (Dragon Age for example) than its predecessors. And the combat is not so hectic as in Tales of Berseria.

There are a lot of Weeaboo and people with poor tastes these days. If you want to sell 2 million copies just release a game with anime style graphics, an androgynous looking lead character, some schoolgirl outfits and a few other genre tropes. You can then deposit your fat sack of cash at your local bank office. Enjoy the profits.

And again comments from people that have NOT played the game at all. The game features excellent story telling, has a great combat engine and an excellent graphic design.

Best RPG of 2021 by a massive margin over any runner ups, proven by the sales numbers, as well as the reviews.

Well deserved.

That's quite a favourable review there @Nereida;

What specifically did you like about it?

The game features excellent story telling, has a great combat engine and an excellent graphic design.

Reading through the positive reviews it doesn't seem like it has excellent story telling. Most say the first half is "good" but that it fails to execute in the second half.

Most are in agreement that the combat system is the best part of the game.

I suppose it has excellent graphic design if you are a weeaboo. Like most regular people I don't particulary like characters with out-of-place bunny ears coming out of their heads nor the angst ridden teenager out to save the world look.

edit: what is probably worth mentioning as well is all the cash grab DLC which locks the best end game skills/abilities behind a paywall. The best part of the some of the DLC adds "School Uniforms" to the characters! Only in a JRPG I tell you.

Last edited:
I have played the game, I'm not a weeaboo and tell you the game looks and plays great. The story is very different from prior Tales games and includes more sci-fi elements and offers quite few surprises.
Please don't parrot opinions of other gamers if you have not played the game by yourself.
We at RPGWatch cover all kinds of RPGs with the exception of MMOs, we are not biased against old or new games, turn based, RTwP or real time, indie or AAA, or western or eastern style (bunny ears included).

Im playing a game were a mouse is the lead protagonist, toads and mosquitoes are the enemies and i am enjoying it a lot. I dont dig a lot the Jrpg genre, but knocking down a game just because of the characters looks funny or puebescent without even trying to play them is not my cup of tea. I doubt I will even try this game, but I wont come here saying that its bad, I just leave my personal tastes aside and only leave a coment on something I have at least tryied to play. By the way the game I am playing is Tales of Iron.

I'm posting my opinion based on videos I have watched. From that I can see it is full of the standard jRPG tropes that I have already listed - I did miss the "cute" oval shaped sidekick though.

Not sure what you are going on about re: RPGWatch coverage. Not really relevent is it?

Not sure what you are going on about re: RPGWatch coverage. Not really relevent is it?

Because very often when I post about J-RPGs the newsbits are derailed by uninformed generalized anti-J-RPG statements.

I will continue posting about all kind of J-RPGs. And please let people who enjoy and play J-RPGs discuss the actual gameplay and not preconceptions about the genre.

Because very often when I post about J-RPGs the newsbits are derailed by uninformed generalized anti-J-RPG statements.

Not sure what you mean by "derailed". You do realise the point of a discussion forum is to have discussions right? And that it can include people saying why they don't like a genre.

Your probably in the wrong place if you want a bunch of yes men who congraulate you on how amazing all the games you like are.

You don't want to discuss really when you start like this:
There are a lot of Weeaboo and people with poor tastes these days.

And you can't discuss, because you haven't played the game at all and have a lot of prejudices.

I don't want yes-sayers on RPGWatch, but informed people that discuss about gameplay about games they have actually played and avoid derogatory slang terms like weeaboo etc.

That's quite a favourable review there @Nereida;

What specifically did you like about it?

I liked a lot of things, and I usually don't even like JRPGs, which is something. Just to point out some things:

- The story was compelling and the characters were likeable and relatable. I liked especially that the female characters had strong and magnetic personalities, all with their own goals, that were part of the story for more than being romanceable by the main male character.
- The game was polished, beautiful aesthetically, and I can't tell I found a single bug all through my gameplay.
- The game is pretty much fully voice-acted (save some minor NPCs) with pretty high quality even in the English-speaking market, which is rare for a JRPG.
- The soundtrack was outstanding, and I don't mean you could just sit and listen to the music as if it was a classical recital. The soundtrack is beautifully tweaked and matched always to what you are seeing on the screen, making for an amazing audiovisual experience.
- Bouncing off the last point, many battles, but especially the end of chapter boss battles were something like I hadn't experienced in a while - they felt truly epic and fulfilling. At the highest difficulty (which I played), they also were very challenging, fun, and satisfying to defeat. After each of them, I would literally slump back on my chair sighing in both joy and amazement.
- Pretty fun and intuitive combat system, allowing you to choose your playstyle with each different character, and mix and match abilities for a very satisfying gameplay.

Also to note, that even amongst all the Tales games, this one was the best selling one, ever. There are many similar games that don't get a fraction of the score or the sales that this one got. Again, I'm not a JRPG fan, I just have a good taste for good games.

For anyone that is not afraid to discover something about themselves that they might not like to admit, it doesn't hurt to give it a try, it's on sale on Steam right now.

So you are saying I am not informed. Which statement was wrong?

Does the game have school uniforms? - Yes
Does the game have a main character with androgynous looks? - Yes
Does it have an oval shaped side kick to provide "cute" comic interludes? - Yes
Does it have some human looking characters with either tails or cat/bunny ears? - Yes
Does it have teenagers saving the world? - Yes

You may not care about any of these things but a lot of people do. I am not going to waste my time playing a game with this overused tropes when there are so many other better games to play (including a few jRPG's). I am doing other like minded individuals a favour to let them know this game is full of them because I have already done the research, like I do with most RPG's that have a user score over 80 on Metacritic.

I would answer all these questions with <no>. But this is art-style (a very subjective matter) and has nothing to to with the gameplay. The story includes a lot of mature content.

This is the main cast (see picture)

Attachments

• TalesOfArise.jpg
    TalesOfArise.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 61
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom