Telepath Tactics Liberated - Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
2ToneToby has reviewed Telepath Tactics Liberated:

The best strat RPG game released this year is Telepath Tactics: Liberated, and yes, I have beaten Symphony of War.

Do not be thrown off by the art style! This game is straight fire and terrifically written. I regret sleeping on this game, but ultimately I place it as the best Strat RPG of 2022 thus far, even above Symphony of War.

This game is a remake of Telepath Tactics (2015) in a new engine, recreated entirely using the TT: Liberated's Campaign Designer tool, and all I can say is wow. It's like an attached Strategy RPG Studio program with the purchase of the game, and I'm looking forward to making my own story and utilizing the creator.

Onto the game though. Half shining force, half fire emblem, half 3d push/pull/throw terrain mechanics leads to quite a unique experience in the genre. In addition to your typical swords and magic, there are also traps that can be placed on the field of battle, and there's even an engineer class for creating bridges/barricades/even using satchel charges to have a crossbowman ignite the charge, clearing out the thick bush like a Daisy Cutter in Vietnam. The mechanical golems are absolutely enthralling to use, and remind me a bit of Guntz from Shining Force. I absolutely love the Engineer class and want to create a more or less an Operation Overlord style beach assault where bridges and satchel charges must be constructed/detonated to reach the objective, which brings me to my next point:

The Missions: The mission objectives vary quite a bit, from kill all enemies, to rescuing others, to trying to escape/reach a location while under assault. The missions have been rather varied in terms of terrain and scenarios, each one with interesting challenges. I haven't felt there has been a lackluster mission yet during my playtime. This game will challenge you and keep you on your toes. Some missions offer achievements for going above and beyond the call of duty, where instead of just busting in, rescuing an individual and departing you can instead opt to fight the entire war camp. It took numerous retries and replays of turns, but not because of tactical errors, not RNG.

[...]
More information.

Funny how the reviewer scored it 11 out 10 (yes, you read it correctly). Is the game so perfect, actually more than perfect, that even a 10/10 would be an unfair score??

I still have to play the newer version of this game. I liked the old one, but the old version was a bit buggy.

Graphics - especially the talking NPC portraits - I found very off-putting. Music wasn't that good either. Rather I'm more happy with not the game, but about the determination of the developer. Now he had the money and could re-create the game and profit from it. That's (for me) mission complete!

Aye HiddenX, the previous version was riddled with bugs, I got hung up on a part and couldn't complete the game, yet this new version worked flawlessly for me. There's even more content so it's a huge win for the consumers.

Funny how the reviewer scored it 11 out 10 (yes, you read it correctly). Is the game so perfect, actually more than perfect, that even a 10/10 would be an unfair score??

This is what happens when you give a game a 10/10 and then the game undergoes an update that improves it. What else are ya going to give it but an 11? ;)

As someone that played and enjoyed both versions of this game, this one will be what I now refer to, always. That prior version will not likely ever be on my computer again, yet this one will be replayed for certain. So yeah, I can see someone boosting the score for this one easily when compared to the original.

Back
Top Bottom