Terra Randoma - Addictive Roguelike RPG with procedural world

lackblogger

SasqWatch
A week or two back I found a Youtuber called Mr. Delightful, he plays obscure and indy RPG-like stuff. He has recently been playing a game called Terra Randoma, a game I'd never heard of before, and I found myself curiously interested, against all my expectations.

In fact, I bought it myself off steam after watching just a couple of his vids and have been playing it with gusto this past week.

It's currently available for about 10 UK bucks as an early access game. While it's not finished yet, I have had zero issues with the game regarding either bugs or stability and apart from the fact that the final boss isn't in the game yet, I wouldn't have know it was still a work in progress if it wasn't headlined as an early access game.

When you start the game, it generates a random map, each map containing 6 randomly named cities, an Alchemist's tower, an Adventurer's Guild and a Lighthouse. The four terrain types are Sea, Grassland, Forest and Hills:

wA6bNS9.png

Sea costs 10gp per square to traverse (after you first make landing at the start of the game) and is very fast, grassland is travel at normal speed, Forest is slower and Hills are extremely slow (the cost impact being your food supply and reaching destinations before their city-state expires).

There is also day and night cycles, with greater threat rating at night (the !!!!! at the top of the screen is the threat rating in the pic below) and there's also the chance of rain which makes terrain travel even slower and also hampers ranged combat.

The cities have lots of random things affecting them, both positive and negative. For example, they might have had a good harvest and have lots of cheap food, or they might be in starvation and reward you greatly for supplying them with food.

Each step of any journey might randomly spawn an encounter. The encounter might be positive or negative. The encounter will challenge either your skill stats as skill-checks or it might be a pure combat + loot scenario. There's plenty of variety here to keep you regularly surprised and interested for the duration of the game.

You walk about the land as a single hero and aside from changes in colour your hero always looks the same regardless of build or equipment:

5cLmeHd.png

Here I am about to enter the final randomly generated dungeon to go find the final missing Rune, which, at this point in time, without the runes leading to a final-boss, is kinda the end of the game at this moment in time.

Whenever you accept a quest at a town, either from the Tavern owner or the Lord of the town, a new location appears on the map with red skulls above it. It'll either be a one-floor dungeon or a single square mini-map with minor structures in it.

Completing these quests will provide not just gold, exp and loot, but will also gain you Fame. The more Fame you have at each town, the cheaper goods are to buy and the more you get for your sold loot. You may also increase the town's prosperity rating, improving their stocks of items.

Completing Lord's quests gradually gives you access to higher tiers of quests and eventually leads to the final Rune quests:

hDTSEnw.png

That would be the game's 'main quest'. However, you are free to just nob about and do whatever you like, gradually having the fun of improving your character build:

n2UM4wN.png

There are many initial builds to choose from, all of which give bonus points to any five of these fifteen skills and, of course, provide you with the necessary starting loot and base attributes.

However, once in the game you can put points into anything you like and there's no locks to build freedom. At level-up you get 1 attribute point to spend and one skill point. You can also purchase skill points from the Adventurer's Guild, though they do increase in cost exponentially.

There are so many factors to a build that there will always be something your interested in improving and each improvement has noticeable effects in the game world.

Loot is also very random and full of interesting variety:

dXTaTOD.png

With ten item slots to fill and a limited inventory space and no storage areas, combined with strict carry limits, it's always enjoyable working out what to bother carrying about while forcing yourself to be very strict in not holding onto anything that wont be possibly useful for the next 10 squares of journey.

I've been continuing to play my character even after collecting the final Rune, just for the fun of it.

You can play either with permadeath or without, but there's still only one save file as far as I know, so I don't think you can run two characters in different games at the same time.

I went with permadeath the first time and died from the usual carelessness quite near the end of the game, so the second time I didn't choose permadeath but ironically haven't died once yet. The game is quite hard though, even on normal difficulty, and it wont take much to get yourself killed. The game has a range of five difficulty levels from easy to impossible to which normal is the 2nd.

Each game, bee-lining the main quest, will take about 25ish hours, which is a very cosy amount of time. You can, of course, faff around for however long you want to.

This game seems to have everything @crpgnut; always asks for as well, so I'm paging him at the end here in case he hasn't heard of it yet.

The Steam page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1120400/Terra_Randoma/

The reason I've made this thread is because I can't find any forum activity on this game yet either here or from googling RPGcodex or googling "Terra Randoma forums" generally, and yet this seems to be a well made and fun game, even if a tad basic in the grand scheme of all games ever made.

The kind of game you can have on your desktop permanently and just pop-in whenever you're in the mood to quest and loot for a few hours & be instantly addicted and enthralled. Or perhaps a neat little in-filler/sorbet between 'bigger' games.

A week or two back I found a Youtuber called Mr. Delightful, he plays obscure and indy RPG-like stuff. He has recently been playing a game called Terra Randoma, a game I'd never heard of before, and I found myself curiously interested, against all my expectations.

In fact, I bought it myself off steam after watching just a couple of his vids and have been playing it with gusto this past week.

It's currently available for about 10 UK bucks as an early access game. While it's not finished yet, I have had zero issues with the game regarding either bugs or stability and apart from the fact that the final boss isn't in the game yet, I wouldn't have know it was still a work in progress if it wasn't headlined as an early access game.

When you start the game, it generates a random map, each map containing 6 randomly named cities, an Alchemist's tower, an Adventurer's Guild and a Lighthouse. The four terrain types are Sea, Grassland, Forest and Hills:

wA6bNS9.png

Sea costs 10gp per square to traverse (after you first make landing at the start of the game) and is very fast, grassland is travel at normal speed, Forest is slower and Hills are extremely slow (the cost impact being your food supply and reaching destinations before their city-state expires).

There is also day and night cycles, with greater threat rating at night (the !!!!! at the top of the screen is the threat rating in the pic below) and there's also the chance of rain which makes terrain travel even slower and also hampers ranged combat.

The cities have lots of random things affecting them, both positive and negative. For example, they might have had a good harvest and have lots of cheap food, or they might be in starvation and reward you greatly for supplying them with food.

Each step of any journey might randomly spawn an encounter. The encounter might be positive or negative. The encounter will challenge either your skill stats as skill-checks or it might be a pure combat + loot scenario. There's plenty of variety here to keep you regularly surprised and interested for the duration of the game.

You walk about the land as a single hero and aside from changes in colour your hero always looks the same regardless of build or equipment:

5cLmeHd.png

Here I am about to enter the final randomly generated dungeon to go find the final missing Rune, which, at this point in time, without the runes leading to a final-boss, is kinda the end of the game at this moment in time.

Whenever you accept a quest at a town, either from the Tavern owner or the Lord of the town, a new location appears on the map with red skulls above it. It'll either be a one-floor dungeon or a single square mini-map with minor structures in it.

Completing these quests will provide not just gold, exp and loot, but will also gain you Fame. The more Fame you have at each town, the cheaper goods are to buy and the more you get for your sold loot. You may also increase the town's prosperity rating, improving their stocks of items.

Completing Lord's quests gradually gives you access to higher tiers of quests and eventually leads to the final Rune quests:

hDTSEnw.png

That would be the game's 'main quest'. However, you are free to just nob about and do whatever you like, gradually having the fun of improving your character build:

n2UM4wN.png

There are many initial builds to choose from, all of which give bonus points to any five of these fifteen skills and, of course, provide you with the necessary starting loot and base attributes.

However, once in the game you can put points into anything you like and there's no locks to build freedom. At level-up you get 1 attribute point to spend and one skill point. You can also purchase skill points from the Adventurer's Guild, though they do increase in cost exponentially.

There are so many factors to a build that there will always be something your interested in improving and each improvement has noticeable effects in the game world.

Loot is also very random and full of interesting variety:

dXTaTOD.png

With ten item slots to fill and a limited inventory space and no storage areas, combined with strict carry limits, it's always enjoyable working out what to bother carrying about while forcing yourself to be very strict in not holding onto anything that wont be possibly useful for the next 10 squares of journey.

I've been continuing to play my character even after collecting the final Rune, just for the fun of it.

You can play either with permadeath or without, but there's still only one save file as far as I know, so I don't think you can run two characters in different games at the same time.

I went with permadeath the first time and died from the usual carelessness quite near the end of the game, so the second time I didn't choose permadeath but ironically haven't died once yet. The game is quite hard though, even on normal difficulty, and it wont take much to get yourself killed. The game has a range of five difficulty levels from easy to impossible to which normal is the 2nd.

Each game, bee-lining the main quest, will take about 25ish hours, which is a very cosy amount of time. You can, of course, faff around for however long you want to.

This game seems to have everything @crpgnut; always asks for as well, so I'm paging him at the end here in case he hasn't heard of it yet.

The Steam page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1120400/Terra_Randoma/

The reason I've made this thread is because I can't find any forum activity on this game yet either here or from googling RPGcodex or googling "Terra Randoma forums" generally, and yet this seems to be a well made and fun game, even if a tad basic in the grand scheme of all games ever made.

The kind of game you can have on your desktop permanently and just pop-in whenever you're in the mood to quest and loot for a few hours & be instantly addicted and enthralled. Or perhaps a neat little in-filler/sorbet between 'bigger' games.

another great @lackblogger; post! will grab this soon-ish, looks like my kinda thing. thanks! :party:

That is a neat looking game right there! I'll be keeping an eye on this, and reading what you guys think of it as more here get involved. Thanks for sharing the information on this one!!

Thank You so Much for the Mention. ðŸ˜Å*

I'm Glad to see Terra Randoma Attracting some Attention; it really does deserve it.
I've been playing Terra Randoma on Hard for a few months during the Beta, and have continued playing after its Early access launch; I like it.

You don't often see full Procedural World Generation in a RogueLike. Usually, it's just the Dungeons.
I am Pleased to see it here.

And it's not just that the world mass is randomized at the start; the World both Reacts to You, and Changes around You.

New Quests are offered, the towns might have safe roads, decreasing the cost of goods, while Famines, Plagues, and Riots might break out in the cities, reducing the benefits they can provide to you.

The Prosperity of the Towns rises and falls, the prices of goods changing accordingly, making weapons, armor, and potions either more in reach, or more expensive due to demand.

That world reactivity is what really drew me in, makes me Feel like I was in a world full of opportunities, and it was up to me whether or not I took advantage of them.

Game State Wise:
The devs recently added the tablet quests, which are on the main quest line to square off against the Big Bad.

The last dungeon is not in the game yet, but is the next thing on their list I believe.
They just released 12/17/20, not even a month ago, and they were pushing hard to get the tier 4 monsters out in time for the Early Access launch, which was a hefty addition to the game, and makes my Mighty Highlander feel challenged indeed!

Also, there will be many different types of end bosses, with the current one planned to only be the first of many. One Of MANY! 🤯

Terra Randoma has many things in store for its Adventurers:
More battle maps, more Crisis Events in Cities, and thus, more opportunities for Adventure!
Plus, Crafting, Potion Brewing, Even Cooking! Soon, no more raw meat for me! � 😋
Maybe even Weapon and Gear Enchanting!

More Depth and More systems layered over existing systems and subsystems, it's why I Love RPGs, there's just so much Depth to em.

Terra Randoma is a Great, Approachable, Turn-Based RPG, with both Procedural World and Dungeon Generation, that is Rock Stable, and even includes an optional RogueLike mode.

So, if you like what you see, you'll probably like it.
The YouTube Channel Mentioned above if anyone is interested:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC03vlgP3Xw497-bcvUSKoRQ

oh wow, that's amazing @Mr_Delightful I had no idea you were an RPGWatch member!

If I'd have known I'd have tagged you with the @ button. Although I'm still unsure how to page someone with a gap in their name. For this attempt I've tried adding an underscore, let me know if it works and you get an alert.

Looking at your post history, you joined because of Skyrim & then made a post once about Underrail. How come you don't post more, as you clearly have a lot of knowledge and interest in RPGs and their various sub-genres.

@Mr Delightful; maybe is the way if the other way doesn't work.

P.S. I picked this up last night per @lackblogger;'s rec. What's not to love about single-character proc-gen and turn-based fights?

I returned it later because I need my magic skills in any game and this doesn't have any. I'll probably pick it right back up after the dev adds them in.

Last edited:
I returned it later because I need my magic skills in any game and this doesn't have any. I'll probably pick it right back up after the dev adds them in.

Oh right, the game does have magic, what kind of magic were you thinking of?

It does? I was trying to make a mage and throw the standard fireball. Did I miss something obvious? Anyway, I'll grab it again on full release. It wasn't bad, just seemed a little undercooked.

Oh, it's definitely incomplete at this stage, but in the regard of mage stuff, the guy has said that he doesn't want a mage class specifically, he doesn't really want any classes specifically, the concept is more akin to a Bethesda game (another reason I thought you'd be interested), in that you start with a vague selection of skills that kinda-define your starting character, but over the course of the game you can put points into anything and be whatever class you invent for yourself via a skill system.

All character have access to magic but at the same time all characters are expected to also use regular weapons.

The various magic aspects come from 'Talent Stones'. You start with 2 but can buy more from the Adventurer's Guild, and these Talent Stones each offer your standard special ability, some of which are classic mage spells.

For example, there's a magic stone that 'Fears' all surrounding foes for a couple of turns and another one that Stuns all surrounding foes. There's one that turns you invisible and another that buffs all your resistances.

You are right though, there's no fireball as yet, although he was talking about that on his steam forum a few days ago, can't remember whether he said he was thinking about it or not.

Yep, I'm still moderately interested in it and will give it another go later. I'm bopping around a ton of games at the moment, just testing them. Favorite is that Legendary Journeys game and Gedonia, but there have been several that have been decent. Dysmantle was really good too. Lots of good games in the "meh" graphics, but decent mechanics area.

Back
Top Bottom