The Division

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Anyone besides DArt and I playing this? It's pretty fun, although I'm not sure if I really consider it an RPG. To me, it's more of a shooter hybrid. Not that it really matters.

The combat is a lot of fun, and the city looks great. Is there any point in trying to explore though? So far, I haven't come across anything of significance that's not related to a mission.

I'm also having some technical issues. I've had 2 crashes and 2 server disconnects so far in only around 3 hours of game time. Anyone know if that's par for the course?

The combat is a lot of fun, and the city looks great. Is there any point in trying to explore though? So far, I haven't come across anything of significance that's not related to a mission.

Have you exited the tutorial area yet? The city is full of "Field Data" which includes a ton of audio logs, situation reports, missing agents and what not. You can either use the map options to see where they are - or you can just interact with them when you find them.

You might consider saving those for when you're 30 and at World Tier 5 - because that's when you will get the most reward for finding them.

However, since you can find them on multiple characters and rewards are fully shared, it's no big deal either way.

Beyond that, there's a lot of loot you can find - which is very useful, especially in the beginning of the game. Later on, most of it will be used for crafting and stuff like that.

Since I haven't played the sub-30 level game since release - I don't know how much that has changed.

But they've implemented a lot of dynamic stuff - including named enemies and such. I don't know if that shows up before level 30, though.

I don't know if you got any of the DLC? Survival mode is perhaps the coolest part of the game - and I won't spoil it.

Also, the most exciting (and potentially frustrating) area of the game is definitely the Dark Zone - which is full of dangerous enemies, landmarks and stuff to find.

It's also full of other players who're potential enemies. The loot that drops from enemies is "contaminated" - which means you will have to extract the loot before you can gain access to it. That's one of the most adrenaline pumping activities in the game - because usually the loot is very good, but the process of extracting leaves you and the loot vulnerable to "Rogue agents" - which would be enemy players out to kill you and take your stuff ;)

But like almost everything else, it's entirely optional and there are other ways to get the best loot.

I'm also having some technical issues. I've had 2 crashes and 2 server disconnects so far in only around 3 hours of game time. Anyone know if that's par for the course?

I've had very few technical issues throughout my hundreds of hours with the game. I can't remember a single crash or server disconnect, except perhaps in the very beginning.

I'm guessing they have US and EU servers, so maybe the US is different.

This is a great source of information about the game:

https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/

Have you exited the tutorial area yet? The city is full of "Field Data" which includes a ton of audio logs, situation reports, missing agents and what not. You can either use the map options to see where they are - or you can just interact with them when you find them.

You might consider saving those for when you're 30 and at World Tier 5 - because that's when you will get the most reward for finding them.

So rewards scale with your level? I'm not sure how I feel about that, but I'll keep it in mind.

But they've implemented a lot of dynamic stuff - including named enemies and such. I don't know if that shows up before level 30, though.

I've already encountered at least one named enemy. He was the leader of a band of looters though and part of a quest so I maybe he was always named.

I don't know if you got any of the DLC? Survival mode is perhaps the coolest part of the game - and I won't spoil it.

Also, the most exciting (and potentially frustrating) area of the game is definitely the Dark Zone - which is full of dangerous enemies, landmarks and stuff to find.

It's also full of other players who're potential enemies. The loot that drops from enemies is "contaminated" - which means you will have to extract the loot before you can gain access to it. That's one of the most adrenaline pumping activities in the game - because usually the loot is very good, but the process of extracting leaves you and the loot vulnerable to "Rogue agents" - which would be enemy players out to kill you and take your stuff ;)

But like almost everything else, it's entirely optional and there are other ways to get the best loot.

I've already encountered at least one named enemy. He was the leader of a band of looters though and part of a quest so maybe he was always named.

So survival mode is a DLC? I'll have to check that out sometime.

Other players can't enter my game when I'm just playing the campaign, right? I was killed during a mission a little while ago, and it said I was killed by "a lurker" or something like that. I thought maybe it was actually another player.

So rewards scale with your level? I'm not sure how I feel about that, but I'll keep it in mind.

Yes, it's very much a Diablo type game in that way - and pretty much everything is randomized and scaled.

That said, once you reach WT5 - the scaling stops and the "real game" begins. Meaning you will start the actual process of optimizing your gear and build, if you so desire.

So survival mode is a DLC? I'll have to check that out sometime.

Yep.

Other players can't enter my game when I'm just playing the campaign, right? I was killed during a mission a little while ago, and it said I was killed by "a lurker" or something like that. I thought maybe it was actually another player.

You can't be bothered by anyone if you don't want to - except in the Dark Zone or the PvP modes.

You can play the entire PvE game including the campaign alone. The only time you will see other players is in the safe rooms where they can't do anything to you and you don't have to see chat, either.

Not sure I know what a lurker is - but if it wasn't in the Dark Zone (you'd know if it was :) ) - then it wasn't a player.

Yes, it's very much a Diablo type game in that way - and pretty much everything is randomized and scaled.

Ok, so it's just the random drops and loot containers. That makes sense. I guess you're saying that those audio logs, etc, are often located near/with random loot?

Ok, so it's just the random drops and loot containers. That makes sense. I guess you're saying that those audio logs, etc, are often located near/with random loot?

Not exactly. The random loot/crafting stuff is usually located in appropriate places. Like, Fabric crafting material will be found in clothing stores and so on.

You will also find "minor loot boxes" around the city - which will usually be green gear of the lowest quality. This loot is pretty trivial and will only be upgrades during the earlier stages of the game.

In general, the more dangerous your activity - the greater the rewards.

The "Field Data" is actually pretty cool - because it's often located near the relevant scenes - and you can sort of make out the little stories if you look around and see how things might have happened. The "Echo Data" thingies you can find are especially cool - because you see a "ghostly" presentation of events that took place in a given area.

It's not something that's immediately apparent, but they did a TON of work writing the backstory and everything fits together quite plausibly in the game.

There's even a novel written about the events before the game - and it has gotten very good reviews.

Also, they made a nice little promotional video at release:

Haven’t played this since release are enemies still bullet sponges or have they patched that up?

Also, is the dark zone actually fun now or does everyone still camp at the extraction point?

Haven’t played this since release are enemies still bullet sponges or have they patched that up?

I only played for a while on a friend's console, but I also found the bullet sponginess very off-putting.

I thought this was a mmo shooter. Is it a really good single player RPG ?

It's a shooter/rpg hybrid - similar to games like Borderlands and Destiny in terms of gameplay, but with a Tom Clancy flavor and it's heavily focused on tactics and cover.

It's got a lot of RPG elements, like character building, stat-heavy loot, crafting, customization, inventory, skills, "quests", "dungeons" and so on - though the latter two are of modern style and are referred to as assignments and missions.

It's not a traditional RPG by any stretch of the imagination, though.

I wouldn't consider it a singleplayer RPG, as it's mostly designed for multiplayer with an emphasis on cooperative tactical coordination - but you can play the vast majority of content alone, without interference from anyone else.

As for whether it's good or not, that would very much depend on personal preferences.

I think it's absolutely fantastic for what it does - but like any other game it has flaws and things that could be a lot better.

I recommend checking out a few reviews and videos on Youtube - if you're interested.

Thanks. It sounds like the content focus is on multi-player and I prefer single player story mode (farcry, borderland 2, ...) shooters.

It's a shooter/rpg hybrid - similar to games like Borderlands and Destiny in terms of gameplay, but with a Tom Clancy flavor and it's heavily focused on tactics and cover.

I recommend checking out a few reviews and videos on Youtube - if you're interested.

JDR, NewDart, any input on the bullet sponges or camping at the extraction points? still exist in PC version?

But you make it sound liek the content is on a remote server and you have to connect to that server to play and you can't enforce the single player experience. Is that correct ?

I also generally prefer single-player, and I'm finding The Division quite enjoyable.

But you make it sound liek the content is on a remote server and you have to connect to that server to play and you can't enforce the single player experience. Is that correct ?

No. It's online like many games are now, but you don't have to play with other people.
@sakichop; I haven't messed with the multiplayer areas yet so I can't comment on the camping. The enemies do take more bullets than a human should, but I chalk that up to body armor.

No. It's online like many games are now, but you don't have to play with other people.

@sakichop; I haven't messed with the multiplayer areas yet so I can't comment on the camping. The enemies do take more bullets than a human should, but I chalk that up to body armor.

Ok, thanks. It wasn’t the end of the world but they really seemed to take an inordinate amount of damage, especially with headshots. Which I prefer to be 1 shot kills.

Ok, thanks. It wasn’t the end of the world but they really seemed to take an inordinate amount of damage, especially with headshots. Which I prefer to be 1 shot kills.

They seem to go down pretty quick for me, but I'm not very deep into the campaign yet.

Personally, I'm glad there's no 1-shot kills because it's too easy to get headshots in this game.

I've heard the bullet-sponge complaint before - but I don't quite understand it. I mean, it's almost as if people didn't read about the game before playing it - or aren't familiar with RPGs or looter shooters.

They've been around for years, though.

That said, it doesn't look like a traditional RPG - so I guess if you take it a face value, I might see the confusion. But both the marketing and early reviews were pretty clear about what kind of game it was.

It's like Fallout 4 or Elex in terms of combat - in that you're not going to one-shot the toughest enemies, as that would completely nullify the concept of building your character and optimising loot. It would ruin the RPG progression and satisfaction of upgrades they're going for - and which is really the core of this particular genre.

That said, if you do manage to optimise loot and pick a great item set combination - you can one shot all but the very toughest enemies. Even those will only take a few shots when you're specced for it.

But it's neither a traditional shooter nor a traditional RPG - it's something in-between that I find very appealing, but there are things that it can't quite provide, including fully realistic damage. For "normal" and "veteran" enemies, though - I'd say it's pretty close if you keep your gear on par with your level.

I feel the same way about games like Skyrim or Witcher 3 - for instance. I would really hate it if bosses or named enemies died from single arrows to the head or something like that. I mean, it would seem more plausible, but I much prefer the progression and loot to be worthwhile.

In fact, the lack of progression and interesting loot is a bit part of why I've grown so bored with traditional shooters.

To each his own, though.

Guilty as charged. I didn’t read anything prior to purchasing it. I don’t usually and it typically works out for me, but not always obviously.:)

I like to go in to all games as blind as possible. I guess from the limited things I saw I was expecting more of a crysis or fear experience. It’s no big deal though I bought it full price on release then returned it and purchased it again much later at a big discount.

The only reason I’m concerned about bullet sponges and headshots is I like to play more stealthy. Find a silencer and snipe enemies from the shadow and slow proceed. If every time I take a headshot it alerts all the enemies and devolves in to a big shootout I fear I’ll lose interest.

No biggie though, as I said I bought it at a big discount and I’ll still give it a go.

Thanks for the info guys.

Guilty as charged. I didn’t read anything prior to purchasing it. I don’t usually and it typically works out for me, but not always obviously.:)

I like to go in to all games as blind as possible. I guess from the limited things I saw I was expecting more of a crysis or fear experience. It’s no big deal though I bought it full price on release then returned it and purchased it again much later at a big discount.

The only reason I’m concerned about bullet sponges and headshots is I like to play more stealthy. Find a silencer and snipe enemies from the shadow and slow proceed. If every time I take a headshot it alerts all the enemies and devolves in to a big shootout I fear I’ll lose interest.

No biggie though, as I said I bought it at a big discount and I’ll still give it a go.

Thanks for the info guys.

That's actually one of my complaints with the game, that it's not possible to be stealthy.

I think the whole setup would be perfectly suited for class-based gameplay, including Support, Assault, Recon and so forth.

In fact, I think the skill system is one of the greatest weaknesses of the game. I mean, what's there is really cool and everything is executed very well - but there's a severe shortage of ways to diversify your build in terms of skills and perks.

Like many of these games, you're supposed to build your playstyle through loot and, in particular, item sets. That's fine - but I would really have liked an expanded RPG system.

Anyway, I agree with you that it should have been possible to go the sneaky bastard route - as that's my favorite one.

But I guess, in a way, the whole game is sort of like that - because you really need to stay behind cover 90% of the time.

Also, you CAN be semi-stealthy when you play in groups - and silencers tend to have threat reduction stats. Meaning, enemies are less likely to notice you and will be more likely to go after your team mates if you spec for it.

But, during solo play - threat reduction does absolutely nothing at all.

Also, as I said, you can pretty much one-shot everything when you're properly geared. Only the bosses and toughest enemies will need a few more shots to the head.

Overall, it's an ok compromise - I find.

Not a perfect game or anything, but it's definitely one of the prettiest and downright coolest games I've ever played. They really did an amazing job with the city and put in the work on details in a very serious way.

Too bad that it was a bit of a missed opportunity at launch. I think it would have been much more prominent had it launched in its current state.

That said, it seems to have made quite the comeback due to the last couple of patches. A lot of activity and positive buzz these days.

Bodes well for an expanded sequel :)

Back
Top Bottom