The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

And now it's time for number 1: "Kashmir" by Led Zeppelin from their album "Physical Grafitti". While I took some time selecting tunes for position 2..10, and there were a alot of other songs I could have chosen, I was never in doubt of number 1. It is my all-time-favourite, been that for years, and frankly, I doubt that will ever change.

The album version:

Lots of live versions on the 'net. This one performed by Page and Plant with an egytptian orchestra is the best IMO:

And heres's a short clip from a program with the Edge and Jack White, where mr Page explains how the tune was developed:

pibbuR who is a bit puzzled by the fact that Zep never were there.

PS. One thing I find frustrating is that when people (mainly young) hear the chords, they only think of the Godzilla theme performed with Page and Puff Daddy. I don't like that and therefor refuse to post a link. DS.

Kashmir is my favourite Led song, for sure. It is one of those tunes that I simply fell in love with when I first listened to the album, and that never wavered, no matter how many times I heard it. I have heard some decent covers of it as well, notably Alice and Chains, amongst a few others.

The Cut was a Norwegian new wave band back in the early eighties. Their first album "Shadow Talks" was released in '81. One of the trakc was "The Crowd" (0:00-3:30):

The Crowd is based on a story by Ray Bradbury, which deals with who they are, these people that gather together around accidents (and today now doubt filming it). You can read about it here: https://www.cliffsnotes.com/literat...ry-and-analysis-the-october-country/the-crowd.

Another tune that deals with similar topics is Tool's Vicarious, with the refrain: I need to watch things die, from a distance":

pibbur who likes to watch downhill skiing.

PS. The second part of the Cut video is "In dieser Stadt". The singer Volker Zibell was as the name suggests German. DS.

All wrong ! Nobody has suceeded in giving the right answer to my riddle yet !

Wrong again.

Have you even read my riddle ?

King Luan - In the Mainframe

So Dream Theater have released their 15th studio album, "A View from the Top of the World". And … I think it's very good. I didn't like number 13, "The Astonishing" (although I was impressed that they tried something monumental and different from what they normally do). The next one, "Distance Over Time" was IMO very meh. Well written (the instrumental parts), well performed - boring.

But this one is different. It's still quite similar to what they've done after "Train of Thought", but it's more creative, melodies are stronger and Petrucci's guitar work is less like finger exercises. And James La Brie actually sings very well this time.

Here's "Sleepig Giant".

Some claim i'ts among their 5 best albums, which may be true. Time will tell, this is an album that requires some time to get into, in itself a sign of quality (I never got that feeling about "Distance over Time"). BTW. on progarchives.com it currently scores 3.98, which incidently is the fitfth highest score there.

pibbuR who looks forward to getting to know the album.

PS. Regarding the top 5, my favourite DT albums are "Scenes from a Memory" (surprise, surprise), "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence", "Train of Thought" and "Systematic Chaos". So there is room for a number 5, but it has to compete with "A Dramatic Turn of Events" and (many DT fans will disagree with me) "Falling into Infinity". We'll see. DS.

PPS. Regarding James LaBrie. He is the weakest element in the band, especially during live performances where he sometimes is "slightly out of key". But the tone of his voice fits the band, and on this album, yes, he performs very well. DS.

Last edited:
No porch retreat for me today, it's too damn bloody cold by far, so I serenaded meself indoors with two of Weird Al's best: in Three-D, and Dare to be Stupid. Yes indeed, I took that dare!!~

Not sure I got the riddle. I remember Freddie cooking something in the "I want to breaf free" music video. But I don't get the riddle.

The riddle was this :

One comedian announced a certain title by the group "Queen" as "I want to have a gratis breakfast".

Guess which one he meant ? ;)

(Hint : It was number 60 in this top hits list.)

VManMusic - BELLA CIAO (Original Mix)

Of all the remixes this is probably my favorite. Good for late night driving.

It warmed up the past three days so I took to the porch with three albums from Lacuna Coil. Honestly, you cannot go wrong with any choices put out by this fine band, Scabbia has a haunting, powerful voice. And Ferro is no slouch in the singing department as well. Check em out!

The lovely calm voice of Diana Krall - Look of love and Don't dream its over.

She's an amazing jazz singer, if you're into that kind of thing. I think her Live in Paris DVD has some superb stuff.

Back
Top Bottom