The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

And last week I realized my error when I recalled that "Hail, hail", is actually included on one of their other greatest hits ablums, Rearviewmirror, which I liberated from a hidden box yesterday and plan on listening to tomorrow. Oh, it will be glorious! I bet they still put on a great show when live. I saw them quite a few times during the nineties, they also seemed to show up almost yearly at one of the bigger summer concerts in my area.

"Dreamer" by Ozzy Osbourne. Its text is even more relevant today than it was then.

One of Weird Al's better parodies.

And as I threatened earlier in the week, the past two days on the porch have been spent with Rearviewmirror, a greatest hits album by Pearl Jam. Not sure if the neighbours cared for the band, yet I can affirm that they certainly could hear the music!

As I told you before, quite unexpectedly Porcupine Tree was about to release a new album this summer. "Closure/Continuation". I've been listenening to it for quite a while, and here's my opinion.

1. It's definitely Porcupine Tree.
2. It's VERY good. Album of the year material.

Here's Chimera's Wreck:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoMM3p-07vI

pibbuR whose only disappointment is that their upcoming tour doesn't include Norway.

Last edited:
One of Weird Al's better parodies.
Heh, hadn't heard/seen that one before. But given the guitar sound (and eventually the hairdo) it wasn't difficult to recognize the original band.

pibbuR who won't do what Al tells him

PS: My favourite is the "Smells like Nirvana" parody. Also funny to read the comments on youtube, all those who clomplains that the parody is an insult to the band and mr Cobain. Not knowing that he asked for permission (which he didn't have to) and Kurt liked it. DS.

Last edited:
Happy Monday folks...
:love:💞
Indeed.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kobdb37Cwc

pibbuR who thinks ms Hoff is (much) prettier (inserte suitable emoji here) than mr Geldof (especially when impersonating Pink).

PS. This should be the start of a week long sub-thread dedicated to music connected to each day of the week. I know what I will post on Sunday. DS.

PPS. This is cheating:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGgMZpGYiy8

DS.

PPPS: About taking time to decide what to wear - One of the benefits, some may say the main (or, according to the wife, only) benefit, of having all black shirts, trousers, jackets and 20 pairs of black socks, is that I don't have to. DS.

Last edited:
Prince's original demo for Manic Monday.

View: https://youtu.be/WnPX-uI7ivM
Pretty cool. I didn't know Prince wrote it. I think giving that one to The Bangles was a smart move though.

Here's a cover by Bille Joe Armstrong of Greenday that he did during the pandemic. Hoffs is in the video and is still hotter than 99% of the population at 61.

I like that old footage of Prince rehearsing. I think a case could be made that he's the most purely talented person we've seen in the music business. He's a master songwriter, guitarist, dancer, and could play any instrument you put in front of him (and possibly other objects.)

I know a guy that used to be his sound man, and he says he's seen them come and go, but Prince was something else altogether. Also crazy as a box of frogs, of course.

Ripper, he was certainly high in the rankings, for sure. I'd easily put him in a top ten list as one of the most versatile performers/writers/producers of the music industry, bar none. His on-stage powerhouse performances were only exceeded by his many talents off the stage. We truly lost a legend when he passed, and sadly like many in his field, far too early.

PS. This should be the start of a week long sub-thread dedicated to music connected to each day of the week. I know what I will post on Sunday. DS.
Melanie - Ruby Tuesday

There you go - this was a pretty obvious one :)

And as I threatened earlier in the week, the past two days on the porch have been spent with Rearviewmirror, a greatest hits album by Pearl Jam. Not sure if the neighbours cared for the band, yet I can affirm that they certainly could hear the music!
Personally I rarely listen to the studio versions of their songs, because they are so much better live, and there are so many great official live bootlegs available.

The song "Rearviewmirror" is - to my ears - one of their strongest with a great buildup of tension.

I'd rather go this direction (do I get bonus points for a double play?)

Back
Top Bottom