The hassle of shaving a full beard

Arkadia7

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor
Ok, so this is kind of a quirky topic and really just a (hopefully amusing) *rant*, so I put it in off-topic. During the pandemic, I was one of many who were lucky enough to have been sent to work from home, and I have been doing that for more than a year now. I have loved it!

But I am guessing like many men (are we just naturally lazy? lol), I got tired of shaving and decided since I don't have to go to an office every day I will just grow a beard, since I am lazy that way.

Well, it turned out "ok" ( I don't think most men look good with a beard, to be honest - despite it being in fashion, but mine wasn't bad) but to me its gross how a beard feels, like, just in general, and also when doing simple everyday task of eating, and I don't like it, I decided. So now I decided to shave it off, and it takes FOREVER.

Maybe I'm clueless when it comes to this, but I am using just regular Gillette 3-blade razor and high end shaving cream for sensitive skin, and I just shaved for almost an HOUR, and I still have a lot left to go.

I don't want to accidentally do razor burn on my face or cut myself or something, so I decided I will do this job in stages. Like, I will shave again later tonight, or, shave tomorrow night, etc, until I am fully clean shaven.

But man, what a hassle! :biggrin:

*end of rant*

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
Staff Member
Just go to a regular barber!! :)

khaight

Sentinel
Buy an electric hair trimmer. That will quickly cut the full beard down to the equivalent of a few days growth. After that the blade razor can handle the remainder without much trouble.

Carnifex

SasqWatch
Man, after over forty years of shaving I still despise the ritual, to an unnerving degree. I even almost typed out the H word! The longest I ever went without shaving though was only three weeks, and I never did that again, the sheer amount of time it took to tame that forest was a lesson I've not forgotten.

lackblogger

SasqWatch
Yes, I don't like beards, but I also don't like shaving. I'm hoping I live long enough to get to the point where surgery to remove all the follicle root holders you want can be quick, easy, cheap and painless with minimal swelling. I don't think I will, but some of us might.

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
I've grown into using an electric razor first, to cuut everything that's long, then shaving - if I want to, and that's rare - with normal razors.
But I'm latzy, too. We call that "3-days-beard", and that's what i usually have. Only that it is 2 weeks for me, usually.

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor
Once I grew a beard the ladies out there would never let me shave again. Most women prefer facial hair and having a beard makes most people think you are the leader in any setting.

Most men just don't know how to take care of a beard. Also, just don't grow a neckbeard you damn fools :). You have to know where to trim and shave.

One last thing, If you have to shave your head or are pretty much bald, you have to have a beard or you look like a cancer patient.

E

Eye

I don't like beards or moustaches. As a teen I refused to kiss my dad for years after he had decided to grow a moustache: the feeling, ugh!
Yep, I agree Arkadia7, it feels gross. Sorry, Hastar, sorry @pibbuR; I know you take great pride in your beards.

Me, I don't know any women who likes them, beards, moustaches, Hastar.
Two/three day beards are the worst, they feel like sandpaper, and after kissing red flecks are visible on my face for quite some time.

As for your problem @Arkadia7; maybe you should try one of those hair removal foams some women use on their legs? Maybe that would be a good option for @lackblogger; as well? ;)
(Seriously: don't, don't use that chemical stuff on your face)

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Once I grew a beard the ladies out there would never let me shave again. Most women prefer facial hair and having a beard makes most people think you are the leader in any setting.

In my experience, most women either love them or hate them and it's probably 50/50.

Beards were a lot cooler before every Millennial decided it was standard. ;)

Carnifex

SasqWatch
The thing that I detest about beards is this current some-what trend, maybe just in my area, of this half-assed beard that's only like half a cent in length. Although I also see it on telly and films, so I guess it's not confined to just where I live. It looks hideous and smacks of sheer laziness, in my opinion.

Redglyph

SasqWatch
I shave daily because I don't like the scratchy feeling, and even less the idea of a beard.

The rare occasions I left it for a few days, I used the little beard trimmer attached on the side of the shaver to do the first pass. I'm not sure recent shavers still have it though (I've had a Braun for more than 20 years, they're just eternal).

crpgnut

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor
Beards are a no-no at my place of work. Too dangerous. You can have a mustache as long as it doesn't go past the lips. This is so if you would need to put on a respirator, the hair wouldn't interfere with the seal of the mask :) One breath of some of the chemicals here, would kill you, or worse, put you in a coma.

Redglyph

SasqWatch
Beards are a no-no at my place of work. Too dangerous. You can have a mustache as long as it doesn't go past the lips. This is so if you would need to put on a respirator, the hair wouldn't interfere with the seal of the mask :) One breath of some of the chemicals here, would kill you, or worse, put you in a coma.

Sounds like you should have a hazmat suit and not a simple respirator ;)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Originally, I grew my beard to actually look older.
My problem is, that I look 10-20 years or so younger than I really am, and my colleagues at work say this as well, and at one point in the past I had the feeling as if people didn't respect me that well because of that. ( That was years before I got that job I'm doing nowadays. )

crpgnut

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor
Sounds like you should have a hazmat suit and not a simple respirator ;)

There are roles where that is required, but not me. I'm just the IT guy and normally visit offices and such. I do where safety equipment, but not the hardcore stuff :D I will likely grow a beard after retirement and shave my head. More hair grows on the bottom of my head than the top, lol.

Top Bottom