The "I Just Bought" thread

I cannot make use of a lawn mower yet I purchased a tool that should help me with tall grass/weeds, it's kind of a narrow scythe. And I got a marvelous set of hedge trimmers!

Played some more dirt rally with the wheel, and I think I realize what's causing the behavior where I feel the wheel is trying to assist me, and sometimes going off on its own.
I don't think it's any aid, I think it's just that the wheel constantly tries to center itself back to neutral after I pull it in a direction. But it's interesting, this I only noticed with FFB on. Without it I could turn it even more than once around itself.
I assume steering wheels in a real car don't do this? Or? I wonder if there's any way to turn it off?

Played some more dirt rally with the wheel, and I think I realize what's causing the behavior where I feel the wheel is trying to assist me, and sometimes going off on its own.
I don't think it's any aid, I think it's just that the wheel constantly tries to center itself back to neutral after I pull it in a direction. But it's interesting, this I only noticed with FFB on. Without it I could turn it even more than once around itself.
I assume steering wheels in a real car don't do this? Or? I wonder if there's any way to turn it off?
Yes, cars usually do that a little. I explained all this in a previous post about caster angle, but there's apparently no way to change it in Dirt Rally 2.0. There's the front toe angle, so you could try to change that, though I'd be surprised if it was bad by default. When it's 'out', it helps with the turn-in and reduces understeer (car turning less than desired in a bend), but it's more unstable and the car tends to turn on its own at high speed. So try making it less negative or even neutral or a little positive, towards the 'in' marker.

camber-toe.jpg

You should spend a little time understanding the main items you can setup on those cars, and how to drive a racing car (a quick example). You'll find it more rewarding. I don't really have a good link for that because that's stuff I gathered progressively. There are good books, like Ultimate Speed Secrets by Ross Bentley, but that's overkill, unless you're getting passionate about racing.

It's logical that with force feedback (FFB) off, there's no feedback. :) That's what feedback is: the motor turning the steering wheel to simulate the same feedback as in a real car, and you have to apply force to counter it (actually, it's torque, but they're using simpler words so everyone understands).

PS: I was curious so I did a quick search about FH5. The majority of answers I've seen were from people who were very disappointed by the FFB in this game, even though my search was neutral (Forza Horizon 5 FFB). The only exception was Fanatec owners, but those wheels are based on direct the drive technology and are very expensive. They can setup the FFB independently from the game, so I wouldn't be surprised if those users worked around a problem in the game. TL;DR: you did a good move refunding it.

Back
Top Bottom