The "I Just Bought" thread

Yeah, they're a shocking price. When I got mine, I was working at a big corpo, and every chair in the building was an Aeron. So I nipped down to the stock department, and asked the guys if they could get me one at their bulk rate. Which they were happy to do, bless them!

Yeah, they're a shocking price. When I got mine, I was working at a big corpo, and every chair in the building was an Aeron. So I nipped down to the stock department, and asked the guys if they could get me one at their bulk rate. Which they were happy to do, bless them!

Yeah they are an outrageous price, but I still regret not getting one a long time ago. The bed and the seat is where I spend most of my live, sad as that may be. So I really shouldn't skimp out on those.

The Ryzen 5950X.

Yes, I know it's overkill for games, but I will use it also for other (hobby) projects which will benefit from multiple cores, like mathematics and image analysis.

One good thing with the Ryzens is that they use the same CPU slot for many generations. My X470 MB which currently has a 2700x CPU supports also the 5000 series, after upgrading the BIOS (to 5809, I had 4000 sometjhing), which I have done, and according to ASUS with very little performance penalty. Then I can switch MB later if necessary. I already have sufficiently fast RAM.

As said, I have already upgraded the BIOS. What remains is switching the CPU's and install the new Noctua NH-D15 fan (which is a bit scary).

an incarnation of pibbur who (probably incorrectly) claims to be able to multitask.

PS. The fan is a very nice looking monster:
1000703501-noctua-nh-d15-chromaxblack-cpu-kuehler-001.jpg
DS.

PPS: Both Maple and Matlab will AFAIK support all available threads. Unfortunately my Mathematica license (home user) only support 4. :( According to Maple. DS.

Last edited:
I never understood why they didn't do a series called "Baking Bread".
Seriously, there's so much that could be told with chemicals and bread.
In one older newspaper article which I still have roughly in my memory, a young man was arrested by the police because he had been putting - I think it was Hanf or Mohn or another drug plant - into the bread he had been baking and giving it to friends. Who were showing symptoms. This is no joke.

If you like science and chemistry, I warmly recommend ReGenesis. It's a series produced to trigger a regain of interest in molecular biology in Canada.

Unfortunately, episodes are not easy to find.

It made me buy and read a huge volume on the the subject (Molecular biology of the cell), captivating read!

A self-learning book for the Latin language. I hope I'll get it made.

Well, not actually just bought, but we had a discussion about Christmas presents, since it might be a good idea to acquire them nice and early this year. I'm hoping to get a knife from Blenheim Forge. IMO, there's a lot of overpriced, factory-made gear out there that's mainly an exercise in branding. But a knife handmade from Japanese carbon steel, where I can nip down to the forge for sharpening training? Oh, yes!

Fascinating, but what do you use the knife for? I follow 1-2 weapons channels on youtube (Skallagrim and Shadiversity) and it's pretty fascinating stuff, but I never thought about owning a blade myself. I wouldn't know what to do with it.

Mainly chopping onions! :p

Blades are always good to have around. I've had my katana for over thirty years now, although due to my injury I cannot truly fence anymore, yet I can still go through some katras and keep my arms in shape. I have a couple of k-bars as well, keeping them sharp gives me something to do on the porch at times. I had a dickens of a time when I took them all to Canada, and then brought them back, not the easiest items to take on trips.

My father had kind of collected collected small blades, most for cooking, but also what we call here "Taschenmesser", and he gave 3 with additional utilities folded into them to me as christmas presents long ago.

I always found blades dangerous, out from a natural feeling - but I admitted that they had their use. The ones my father had bought for cooking are very good. I especially loved multi-purpose "swiss army knife" kinds of knives.

I always found blades dangerous, out from a natural feeling - but I admitted that they had their use. The ones my father had bought for cooking are very good. I especially loved multi-purpose "swiss army knife" kinds of knives.

Don't worry, Alrik - my intentions for the blade are peaceful. When you're into cooking, I think a lot of people get to a point where they'd really like the sharpest knife possible. I linked to Jun's Japanese cooking channel in the cooking thread (here's another one). It doesn't get more peaceful than that! But you can see how the way he prepares the food requires a very sharp blade. A lot of Japanese style preparation is very precise, and trying to do it with an average knife would be a lesson in frustration.

I know - I understand your position. My father also wanted only sharp knives for cooking. He had always said that a knife had to be sharp.
Consequently, we have a "knife sharpener" thing in our family, too.
Plus, I've already had my own share in frustration when a knife I had used for cooking was not sharp ! ;)

On the other hand, we have a few knives for cutting open Brötchen which are not sharp at all. It works, to some extend.

I used to have family and friends bringing me their knives to sharpen and such, as I always kept whetstones around. There is a technique to doing it right, and a well honed blade is a nice thing to have, especially in the kitchen.

I even find a very sharp bread knife is handy. I think the key to great toast is to slice it thinly so it becomes extra crispy, and that's way easier with a really sharp serrated knife. I love a couple of slices of hot buttered crispy toast, with a nice mug of tea, to restore my vitality.

Aye, Ripper, there's an almost art to the cuisine of cutting itself. Look at how some garnishing happens, with ruffles and such, a very basic yet desirable decoration, adding a lot to a dish without throwing unnecessary ingredients into the mix.

I've known ladies(and a few blokes) to go almost feral if they cannot lay their hands on a sharp blade to coax a bagel into shape before work.

I just bought a new TV. Our old one is 5 years old and very slow to respond. It needs to be restarted every few days or doesn't connect to WiFi.

The TV I bought is 50” Q80A QLED 4K HDR Smart TV (2021). Got it for 650 poonds.

Back
Top Bottom