The "I Just Bought" thread

Yes, I've have developed a fast C-API that could convert functions in algebraic notation in RPN (which is basically a stack of operators and operands. This converted RPN-lists then could be

a) calculated
b) differentiated
c) optimized Example: ((4a * 3a)+2a*a) would be optimized to 14*a*a

c) is somewhat complicated - I implemented hundrets of optimzation-rules

a*1=a
a+0 = a
a*0=0

in RPN

That could be handy to build a calculator handling expressions (or if you program in FORTH), and it must have been fun to do. :)

HP could have used it, I remember a function to convert an algebraic expression to an RPN program on the 48 series. I don't think it could do any simplification on the RPN form, since it was a program, but I'm not sure. All the simplifications / manipulations were done on the algebraic form IIRC.

I often wish I hadn't my light Dyscalculia …

I ordered up a nice, thirteen inch combat knife online about two weeks ago, and got it Friday. Today I plan on taking it on the porch and honing that sucker to sheer perfection! Overall I like the feel of it so far, it's basically a semi-extended Bowie blade.

I bought a new fuel system (tank, pump, lines, etc...), brakes all around, rear suspension (including leaf springs), front suspension, and assorted other parts for my project car. I also bought a stack of old DOS books and three computers at a repair shop that's closing down. One is actually a fairly decent new rig, so it's going to replace this laptop as soon as I have time to set it up, the other is to replace my Pi4 TV thing, and the last is for my brother.

1. Asus ROG Crosshair VII Dark Hero MB
  2. 2x32 Gb 3600 RAM (Corsair Vengeance LPX)
  3. 1 TB Kingston Fury Renegade M.2 SSD
  4. Ryzen 5950x (bought some time ago).
  5. Big nasty but very silent Noctua cooler (bought some time ago)

According to a couple of user reviews on my pusher's website, the MB can be very picky when it comes to memory, but the sticks I bought worked.

I had initialliy some troubles, like the PC wouldn't start properly (No BIOS Setup screen) - solved by upgrading BIOS and removing/reinserting all components (I may have tightened the cooler too much initially). No need for the sledgehammer or the angle grinder this time.

Had some problems formatting one of the disks, now I know why (but I won't admit my mistake) and no more problems. Also some difficulties transferring some software components. I have documented procedures now.

Still got some configuration to do, but everyting is running fine. Old PC is now a Linux machine.

pibbuR who wonders where they get those names. And who doesn't expect (hopes not) to do things like that for a very long time now.

success.png

Last edited:
…Have fun with the new beast!

The Beast. Ah! Maybe I should call it that.

pibbuR who currently calls it "Guernica", since it's theme is the fine arts.

PS: Names of the other macnhines:
  1. Sinux - the main Linux machine. Mathematics theme.
  2. Haloquadra - the MS Surface, after the haloquadratum genus (belongs to the archae domain) is which is weird and squared. Biology theme.
  3. Haloarcula - his newest 2-1 PC (Haloarcula is somewhat similar to Haloquadratum). Also biology (until I come up with something better).
  4. Archaeopteryx - the Linux personality of (3). Paleontology.
  5. Lying Bastard - the never used very old, don't know if it still works, Win98/Linux machine, named after the puppeteer space ship in the "Known Universe". Astronomy.
  6. Mendax - the Linux personality of (5). "Mendax" is latin for "liar". No theme.
  7. Anhima - the screaming gadget from hell (aka smartphone).
DS.
'
PPS. If I get yet another PC, I'll call it "Typo" afewter …. you know. DS

Typical retirement plan for old PCs and laptops ;)

Have fun with the new beast!

The beast is now complete., It's really fast. I've installed one huuuuge ominous looking Noctual CPU cooler with 2 fans, and an extra fan in the chassis (5 fans in total, but they're very silent). Overclocked the CPU using Asus' Ai-suite to 4.525 Mhz on all 16 cores.

pibbuR

PS. I've upgraded (some will say downgraded) to Win 11, mainly because I for some (irrational?) reason installed number 11 on my laptop, and having the same version everywhere I have windows seemed like a good idea. (Using Stardock software to avoid some of the UI atrocities). DS

EDIT: Eh... 4.525 Ghz.

PPS. My first computer had a Z80 CPU, running at 2 Mhz. So this CPU runs 2000 times faster. DS.

Last edited:
PPS. My first computer had a Z80 CPU, running at 2 Mhz. So this CPU runs 2000 times faster. DS.

You beat me, I see my old ZX-81 had its Z80 running at 3.25 MHz. ;)

But it only had 1kB of RAM… I suppose your PC has at least 16 GB, not even counting the GPU, which makes it a 16 million times bigger memory (give or take a few thousands ZX-81s). o_o

EDIT: you wrote 2x32 GB, I see it now. Make that 64 million times bigger.

PS: what does "DS" stand for?

But it only had 1kB of RAM… I suppose your PC has at least 16 GB, not even counting the GPU, which makes it a 16 million times bigger memory (give or take a few thousands ZX-81s). o_o

EDIT: you wrote 2x32 GB, I see it now. Make that 64 million times bigger.

PS: what does "DS" stand for?
https://www.wordsense.eu/deinde_scriptum/

I was wrong about the frequency, it ran at 4 Mhz. Sorry.

BTW, I also installed 1 1TB M.2 disk, which makes the machine boot very fast.

pibbuR

PS. I see that Pladio explained the DS. DS.

PPS. One more thing. After a quick look at the net, it seems like the Z80 had around 8 500 transistors. The 5950X comes with 8 300 000 000. See pictures below. DS.

Z80:
1280px-Z80-Z0840004PSC-HD.jpg

Partly destroyed Ryzen:
AMD%407nm%2812nmIOD%29%40Zen3%40Vermeer%40Ryzen_5_5600X%40100-000000064_BG_2042SUS_9JF6228V00014_DSCx4%40IR.jpg

Last edited:
I was wrong about the frequency, it ran at 4 Mhz. Sorry.

BTW, I also installed 1 1TB M.2 disk, which makes the machine boot very fast.

pibbuR

PS. I see that Pladio explained the DS. DS.

PPS. One more thing. After a quick look at the net, it seems like the Z80 had around 8 500 transistors. The 5950X comes with 8 300 000 000. See pictures below. DS.

Z80:
1280px-Z80-Z0840004PSC-HD.jpg

Partly destroyed Ryzen:
AMD%407nm%2812nmIOD%29%40Zen3%40Vermeer%40Ryzen_5_5600X%40100-000000064_BG_2042SUS_9JF6228V00014_DSCx4%40IR.jpg

Transistors? Bring back vacuum tubes! (New fangled rubbish)

Since at one time i have posted in this thread at time to time.

I am going to say,. I am proud i didn't buy anything and spent the last two weeks digging out a 20 by 60 foot new garden. With only hand tools, and in two weeks I will be planting weather will play into that.

Today:
picture.php

pibbuR who won't take part in Tour de France this year.

PS. As you can see (if you look down upon it), it's a Gekko bike. Haven't tried it, yet, but I assume that this means the bike can handle vertical surfaces. And since it has a few very easy gears (correct English?), I could probably handle vertical climbs as well. DS.

PPS. BTW. The purchase of this bike violates the Dutch principle for buying bikes (according to my - probably dubious - sources): Spend more on the lock than on the bike. Sad to say, so far I've only spent 5% on the lock. I do know the Dutch word for bike, however. DS.

Last edited:
I bought a Radeon RX 6600 XT, the first gfx card I've bought in a while. They've finally come down to sensible prices.
The gaming machines in the household hold 2 x RX 580s (gifts from a friend whose mining rig died) and a RX 570, so a few recent games were struggling. I'm especially looking at you, ELEX 2.

This finally puts me at about the level of you people ( @JDR13; ) who have been rocking NVidia 1080s for the last three generations. Man, that would have been a good investment.

This finally puts me at about the level of you people ( @JDR13; ) who have been rocking NVidia 1080s for the last three generations. Man, that would have been a good investment.

Not only that, but I got mine at a major discount. I had originally purchased a GTX 980 which died on me very close to the 3-year mark. I RMA'd it back to Gigabyte, and they sent me a GTX 1080 at no extra charge because they didn't have any 980s in stock. :)

I just brought the Werewolf pack for SIMS 4 ... been waiting ages for them to add it!

This (Chlorophytum comosum, aka "spider plant"):
ampellilja-600x600.jpg

Well, I haven't bought it yet, but I will. ASAP.

There is a concept in Norwegian: "ungkarsplante". Don't know if it is a concept in English, but directly translated it would be "bachelor plant". These are herbs that tend to survive, despite very (extremely) little attention. And this particular plant - according to my sources (https://www.plantasjen.no/gronnrenner.html) it is nearly impossible to kill.

I have for a long time been looking for a plant for my den. Previous attempts have failed miserably. It may have something to do with my main source of light down there being my three monitors, and when those are off, it's like this:
photo-1531167599833-609a45d3d903

I'm fine with that, actually, what else do you need? But most plants seem to be a bit more picky. Now it's time to try again.

pibbuR who will keep the watch informed.

PS. The source given is in Norwegian. You should ask Myrthos for a translation. DS.

PPS. I am, since spiders are my racial enemy, a bnit concerned about the name of the thing. Fortunately, the Norwegian word for it ("Grønnrenner") has nothing to do with Shelob wannabes. DS.

Light must be precious up North.

If that still fails, LEDs don't consume too much, but I'm not sure plants have enough with the spectrum they emit since it's more discrete (in the mathematical sense). Maybe something to study and publish? ;)

My usual problem with plants is knowing how much water they need and how often they require a refill. They do try and give some clues but I'm so bad at this. Maybe they could create an app that recognizes the signs, all it would require is a webcam. Or a robot checking the plants every day, something simple.

PS: It's a nice plant!

Back
Top Bottom