The Iron Oath - New Year Update

Redglyph

SasqWatch
Curious Panda Games posted a development update on combat, portraits and class skins.

New Year Update!

A quick update on the development status of the game, and a few new things to share!

Happy New Year to everyone! We hope you all had a safe and happy Holiday. With 2021 behind us, we wanted to give you a quick update on the development status of the game. You may have already seen us share this information elsewhere, but for those who who haven't seen it: the game is close to being ready, and we are currently targeting a Q1 2022 release. We have one more demo planned which will be available in late February during the Steam Next Fest. For those who have played the previously available demo, this new one has quite a few changes, and will run the average player about 45-60 minutes. Needless to say, we're very excited about the next few months, and we can't wait for you all to see what we've been working on!

Gameplay Video

In that spirit, we wanted to share a 5minute montage of combat gameplay from our recent playtests. Some enemies and abilities still need a bit of balancing, but we feel the combat is in an enjoyable state at the moment. Hope you like it!

[...]
More information.

This game has had its fair share of covering here, but I confess I knew almost nothing about it. And now I watch this combat video, and suddenly I start to love it :)

Last edited:
Result of years of hard work & suffering. Urtuk is still better at combat and gore, but The Iron Oath has MAGIC!!!

This game has had its fair share of covering here, but I confess I knew almost nothing about it. Ando now I watch this combat video, and suddenly I start to love it :)
Same with me. The video makes the combat seem pretty interesting.

This game.....I can't wait. Have it in my wishlist for a long time. It looks right up my alley

Very nice! It almost looks like an evolved GoldBox games' combat system, with a hint of Underrail-style graphics. A future sci-fi variant could be fun.

I had no idea release is actually so close, hopefully it will be good.

With the lightweight graphics, one might suspect it would be a suitable target for a tablet port. But the system requirements seem pretty high. It requires a graphics card? Really?

Yeah, I'm honestly not sure what the deal is these days, the games don't seem all that graphically superior to the last twenty years or so, yet some of the current requirements seem rather excessive. I'm no programmer, never claimed to be one but something just doesn't seem right about it all.

@rjshae; @Carnifex; Perhaps they take a safety margin because it's Unity. That being said, requirements are not high, it's actually very low. I think that any standard laptop with an Intel Iris Graphics card would be enough:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E5200
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: Geforce 9800GTX+ (1GB)
DirectX: Version 10
Storage: 2 GB available space

From a dev on Steam:
Programmer on the game here, yeah we're using Unity. I know there is concern sometimes when people say they are using Unity but with the type of game we're making it's not super taxing on the system since it's 2D pixel art. Currently on my pc when exploring dungeons I get around 600fps :D
(he doesn't say what PC he has...)

It's obviously not just 2D pixel art from the gameplay, I see a 3D scene. It all depends how they implement it. They could move 2D sprites in a 3D scene with light effects and occupy an RTX 3090 at 90%, or use it smartly.

Yeah, I guess I wasn't being entirely clear in my post, I didn't mean just this game yet many that have come out. At least I shouldn't have an issue running this one.

Yeah, I guess I wasn't being entirely clear in my post, I didn't mean just this game yet many that have come out. At least I shouldn't have an issue running this one.

Your post was clear, I just picked everyone involved and replied to the first post :)

I'm not playing a ton of games, but I see incremental improvements over time like more lighting sources, haze, depth of field, ambient occlusion, number of polygons, time-based filtering, better shadows, Gerald's hair, other shaders, ... I'm not talking about uber-features like ray tracing but more subtle additions. After a while, it becomes more demanding if you want to have everything set on max.

It's even worse with flight sims.

Nod, usually the first thing I do after turning off the audio within a game is dropping down the graphics to the most minimal setting. I don't like hearing my poor computer whine and wheeze when running a program, lol.

Back
Top Bottom