The language thread

1667400027364.png

Even though ham is not that type of ham.:LOL:

English Mister, Master / German Meister / Italian maestro / Old French maistre are coming from Latin magister.

The female form is Mistress. -tress is another English female ending.
And no - not every -tress word has something do to with women :)

obviously sometimes -ster is male: seamster - seamstress
Edit: Probably if the base word already ends on an -s: seams in this case.

obviously sometimes -ster is male: seamster - seamstress
Edit: Probably if the base word already ends on an -s: seams in this case.

Etymology is often complicated:

seamstress (n.)​

"needlewoman, woman who sews or makes seams," 1640s, with -ess + seamster (also sempster) from Middle English semester "one who sews, one whose occupation is sewing," from Old English seamestre "sewer, tailor, person whose work is sewing," from seam (n.) + -ster.

The -ster ending is feminine, but in Old English seamestre also was applied to men, and the Middle English word was used of both sexes, though seamsters were "usually female" [Middle English Compendium]. Evidently by 17c. the fem. ending no longer was felt as such and a new one added (as in children, etc.), and seamster thence was applied to male sewers.

Huh, about fictional languages ... : Someone did make some great efforts to decipher the words in Genshin Impact : https://www.hoyolab.com/article/12645292
It's kind of impressive in how far the developers tried to implement ancient Egyptian names and words ...

The method of using fragments of words and try to compare them with real words already known in/from dictionaries is something that is - as far as I know - also used for ancient real world languages.

But be aware of so-called "false friends" !

"Bekommen" does not mean "become", for example !
"Bespoke" does not mean "besprechen !"

But be aware of so-called "false friends" !

"Bekommen" does not mean "become", for example !
"Bespoke" does not mean "besprechen !"
What's interesting is that "become" and "bekommen" both come from the same Proto-Germanic word "bikwemaną" (to come around, come about, come across, come by") Words with the same root, changing meaning in different languages, happens all the time.

You can read more about it here: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/become

pibbuR who is also a desk officer at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Estonia.

I've stumbled on a funny common mistake.

Long ago, 1 kilobyte meant 1024 bytes, 1 megabyte meant 1,048,576 bytes, and so on. It was easy to think one still had enough space on a huge 10-MB drive (or on a floppy disk...) when in fact, it was a few bytes short.

In 1998, in order to avoid chaos, the IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission) introduced the prefixes for binary multiples (actually, powers of two) and separate them from the powers of 10 prefixes, which was approved as an international standard. So 1 kibibyte is 1024 bytes, and 1 kilobyte is 1000 bytes. You can see that for instance on the NIST website, and in other references like The Chicago Manual of Style and the Oxford dictionary. Even Wikipedia is correct about it.

But strangely enough, the IEC website itself is plain wrong and is still living in the previous millennium. And while the Oxford Dictionary is correct, the New Oxford Style Manual isn't.

Worse... check your Window Explorer if you are still using that awkward tool. It's erroneous too!

What a mess. :)

Kibi ? Wasn't that a critter from some japanese video game ? ;p

One problem with languages is that words change meaning over time. At least how it's perceived.

A sextant is, as you should know, a tool used for navigation at sea. In modern Norwegian it's written as "sekstant", but back then (the 20's) it was written like it's done in English. Now, there was this advert saying "3 sextanter til salgs". Quite clear what it meant then ("3 sextants for sale"). Now, if you. like me, knows that "tanter" (plural) in Norwegian means "aunts", it's not difficult to see how this can easily (deliberately?) be misunderstood today.

Another example: "Kvinne med lite utstyr søker mann for ekteskap" ("Woman with little equipment seeks man for marriage"). The message was that she wasn't rich, and (probably) didn't have much furniture, utensils, computers... But "lite" in Norwegian also means "small". And "Woman with small equipment seeks man for marriage" would no doubt today be interpreted more ... physically. It might be even worse/more funny if a "man with small equipment" was looking for wife-wannabes.

pibbuR

Just FYI :

Blume (German) = Flower (English)
Profan (German) = Mundane (English)

The band named after the person of Jethro Tul just released a new album called "Rökflöte". The British Prog Magazine has an article about it called "Hard as a Rök". [ "Hard Rök Café" , maybe ? ;) ]

The word "Flöte" is German and means "flute".
The "Rök" probably means the "Ragnarök" from norse mythology, which the album basically is about, according the article.
Most of that should be in the "Edda" books, which I didn't read yet.

Meanwhile a letter which later became the English th went out of business in the German languge, I'm a little bit surprised that a similar thing happened with the Umlaute in Enhlish languages. But then, on the other hand, the Beowulf seemingly doesn't contain any of them, as far as I can tell. It is written in Old English - which is closer to the nordic languages than English is today - and takes place in the territories which is now Denmark / Sweden ( ! ) ... It is a bit surprising that such an epic written in Old English does not take place in territories which are now "English" territories. On the other hand, however, I personally tend to speculate that it is rather a Viking epic and a Anglo-Saxon epic. But that's just a wild theory of mine.

As a sidenote, there's the riddle of the Eotas / Eotenas. That's the name use in the Beowulf for the people called the Jüten, who lived at the very tip of that piece of land which is more north than the far northest part of Germany and it belongs to Denmark. The word "eota" both means "Jüten" (singlular in nowadays German would be : a Jüte ( = a person from Jütland ) and "giants", as far as I understood it. This is the riddle : Why this is so. Unsolved, as far as I can tell.

There is an interesting article in Wikipedia on translating Beowulf : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Translating_Beowulf

There is an interesting twist : The only known exemplar of the Beowulf was transcribed by a few people after it had been damaged in a fire :

The damage to the Nowell Codex can be overcome to different degrees. The three pages in bad shape mentioned above have been studied under ultraviolet light, and the resulting information has been published.[6] Three modern transcriptions of parts of this portion of this manuscript are known. Two of these transcriptions, known as A and B, were made under the direction of the first editor of Beowulf, Grimur Jonsson Thorkelin in the years 1786-1787 after the Cottonian fire yet before the manuscript had deteriorated as far as it presently has. Transcript A was made by an unidentified professional copyist, while B was made by Thorkelin himself.[7] The third transcript (MS Junius 105, currently in the Bodleian Library) is of the Judith poem and was made by Franciscus Junius between 1621 and 1651. A careful copy of the poem with only occasional errors, Junius' transcription preserves the text of the poem before it suffered fire damage.[8]

The twist is that the name of this transcriber is Thorkelin, whereas a man named Tolkien ( note the similarity of these both names ! ) worked on Beowulf for quite a part of his life time.

Words for small sets:

words_for_small_sets.png

Words for small sets:

words_for_small_sets.png
I have used the ones from Heroes of Might and Magic 3 since I was 10 :D

• Few 1-4
  • Several 5-9
  • Pack 10-19
  • Lots 20-49
  • Horde 50-99
  • Throng 100-249
  • Swarm 250-499
  • Zounds 500-999
  • Legion 1000+

And, let's not forget because it's very handy,
  • a googol: 10^100
  • a googolplex: 10^googol.
I miss a good gradation dictionary. Sometimes I feel like Terry Pratchett's trolls and their simplified idea of counting: one, two, three, many, LOTS (although...).

Back
Top Bottom