The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero - Review @ RPG Site

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
RPG Site has reviewed the upcoming J-RPG The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero:

The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero Review

At long last, English-speaking Legend of Heroes fans can (officially) experience the first entry of the Crossbell Arc of Falcom's legendary series with The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero. While franchise superfans are probably already familiar with the game's history, Trails from Zero was originally released in Japanese back on the PSP in 2010, and it has seen a number of rereleases since then, including an enhanced version in 2012 for the Playstation Vita known as Zero no Kiseki: Evolution, which would later get a remaster on PS4 known as Zero no Kiseki: Kai in the spring of 2020, but none of these versions received English localizations at the time. For those keeping track of the series timeline, Trails from Zero takes place after the events of Trails in the Sky: The 3rd, while featuring a new primary cast and setting.

[...]

Considering its availability on modern platforms, The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero is potentially the best and easiest starting point currently for players to easily jump into this behemoth of a series. With this release, it is the easiest of the games to play while spoiling the least amount of events from other games and also having a solid and slightly more modern feel to it. I fell even more in love with the SSS after finally being able to see their beginnings and experience the start of their stories together and their home of Crossbell. I loved exploring the hills of Amorica and the mines of Maize, heading off the goons of Revache while befriending the gangs of the Downtown district. I loved reading every witty response from each treasure chest I opened (seriously, after opening a chest, check it again for some great messages and puns), and each new reveal I uncovered. Having primarily played this on my Steamdeck, it led to many late nights and hushed gasps as I tried not to wake my wife after a shocking twist, a feeling that Falcom seems to have mastered.

Falcom's Legend of Heroes: Trails series deserves to be held in the same high regard, if not higher, as other AAA RPG studios out there today. The wait for Trails to Azure, releasing next year, will be rough, but hopefully, this extra time will let NIS America release all the versions of the game to the high standard it deserves.

Score: 8/10
More information.

Finally I can play the English localized PC versions as NIS is very slow. Anyway fun fact this series of games should have been localized before the Cold Steel Saga but pushed aside.
Due to a variety of reasons, Trails from Zero and its sequel, Trails to Azure, were not localized by the time of the Japanese release of Trails of Cold Steel. Falcom subsequently approached Xseed Games, who had previously localized Trails in the Sky, and requested that a localization of Trails of Cold Steel be prioritized instead, resulting in Trails from Zero and Trails to Azure being skipped.
So it's really the prologue to Trails of Cold Steel.

The game is really fun, but keep in mind that only the text is localized not the voice-overs.

Back
Top Bottom