The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero - Review @ TBL

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Turn Based Lovers checked out The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero:

The Legend of Heroes: Trails From Zero Review

It wasn't that long ago since I played my first Legend of Heroes game: Trails of Cold Steel IV. From there, I wasn't sure where to go with the series. Do I go back and play the third game in the Cold Steel series? (the only one available on the Switch), or do I wait for Trails From Zero, the first game in the Crossbell arc, which has had a complicated history of its own before finally being released in with English subtitles? Luckily, I didn't have to make that choice, as NIS America was kind enough to provide me with my very own review copy.

Story
The Legend of Heroes: Trails From Zero follows three months after the final game in the Trails in the Sky trilogy and follows Llyod Bannings, a rookie police detective and the appointed leader of the newly formed SSS (Special Support Section) of the CPD (Crossbell Police Department). Along with three other new recruits, Llyod and his team are put in charge of renewing the police department's reputation, which has been lost due to the local guild showing them up and doing a better job of handling monsters and more.

While the SSS may seem like any other guild doing odd jobs here and there to up the CPD's reputation. It isn't long until Llyod, and his team finds themselves in the middle of a war between two crime syndicates fighting for control of Crossbell.

[...]

Conclusion

I know this might be controversial to say, but I almost want to say that I prefer Trails From Zero more than Cold Steel IV. While Cold Steel IV is the better game in most aspects, Trails From Zero is more accessible to new players. Whether that is from the grounded story, which is the beginning of something bigger of the tight-knit team that we grow to love or the ability to speed up the gameplay, it is all here.

Trails From Zero shows that even an old game can feel new and rewarding even if most gamers have only experienced the later games in the series. If you are looking to start The Legend of Heroes games, I would highly recommend starting here and working your way forward.
More information.

I'm reminded that I still need to pick up and play Cold Steel four. -xxxx
And i'm reminded that i still need to resume playing CS2. I guess playing it after completing CS1 made me burnout from it. Then never found time and motivation to pick it up again. But i still want to keep playing this series, but the long dialogues/cut scenes make me sleepy, when I start playing already tired at night.

Cold Steel two and three were excellent, I would already have four except I find it tough to justify forty bucks for a game. Just need a better sale to come along.

Seems there is a new anime series from Japan - Gonintendo
Falcom and Tatsunoko Production have released the debut trailer for The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel – Northern War, the upcoming anime series that takes place in the world of The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel. Check out our first look at the series above.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel – Northern War is set to air in Japan sometime in early 2023. There’s no word on localization at this time, although the series is sure to stream with English subs at some point next year. When those details are shared, we’ll make sure to update you.
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel – Northern War Debut Trailer

Lavi is a girl born and raised in North Ambria State, the poorest region in the northwestern part of Zemuria.

To protect her hometown, and to prove she is different from her grandfather Vlad—who was once hailed as a hero, but betrayed North Ambria—she volunteers to serve in the renowned Northern Jaegers, the largest jaeger corps in the continent.

Devoted to her duties to the point that she repeatedly breaches discipline, Lavi is grouped into a platoon with Marty, Iseria, and Talion and ordered to undertake a reckless undercover mission into the Erebonian Empire.
Edit: It's an anime series not game sorry folks move along. Nothing to read here.

Last edited:
Sorry about that I just found the link and didn't read it. There is still the new trilogy to play which hasn't been fully translated or localized. The Chinese versions are localized though.

The next three games are....

1.The Legend of Heroes: Trails into Reverie
2.The Legend of Heroes: Hajimari No Kiseki
3.The Legend of Heroes: Kuro no Kiseki

Nihon Falcom is taking forever to localize them for the PC.

I do have to say in defence of Nihon Falcon, when they localize a Legend of Heroes game its with good writing and excellent VO. So its worth the wait.
Well, I guess that depends on your definition of good writing.

Personally, I've never played a JRPG that had what I'd consider good writing.

I do have to say in defence of Nihon Falcon, when they localize a Legend of Heroes game its with good writing and excellent VO. So its worth the wait.
It's my understanding that they pretty much based the translation of this game on the fan translation that used to be available, so the credit should really go to the people who actually wrote the English script.

Well, I guess that depends on your definition of good writing.

Personally, I've never played a JRPG that had what I'd consider good writing.
The Trails series is normally on top of the categories <best story>, <best universe> J-RPG ranking lists (example). I personally like the story-arc Trails in the Sky best. I rank it very high in my personal top list, not only for J-RPGs, but for RPGs in general.

Back
Top Bottom