The Legend of Heroes: Trails through Daybreak - Released

And the sequel was also announced for next year!

I'm always wary about the quality of games that release a sequel per year. If Elden Ring or Baldur's Gate 3 took 4-5 years of development while having a massive development team behind is for a reason.

I'm always wary about the quality of games that release a sequel per year. If Elden Ring or Baldur's Gate 3 took 4-5 years of development while having a massive development team behind is for a reason.
Both games were already released in Japan, these are the localizations.

While I agree with your general point, comparing the development of Trails series to BG3 or Elden Ring is an apples to oranges comparison. These are much lower budget games that reuse a lot assets between games.

If you are a fan of JRPGs, this series (10+ games) is a lot of fun. Great character development and fun turn-based combat.

No, I'm pretty sure the games are good and fun for those who enjoy the gameplay. It's just a general thorn in my romantic side that feels that for some of these companies making RPGs is much like working in a sausage factory, just run the mince machine 9 - 5 day in day out and all that matters is to keep the sausages coming out.

Then again, a lot of their fans just want more of the same, so there's no much incentive for them to reinvent the wheel.

I imagine the reuse is very high in terms of assets. The people playing these games aren't the most discerning gamers. Given the linear nature of these games I imagine writing and testing is very straighforward. I'm pretty sure they have a checklist for the designers - cute animal sidekick? check. Schoolgirl/boy? check. Two kingdoms at war/save the world plot? check.

The people playing these games aren't the most discerning gamers. .
Aside from the fact THAT statement is pretty fucking insulting and condescending ... just going to ask: how many of these games have you played?

Wondering if you have an informed opinion or talking out of your butt and unable to contain the verbal diarrhea?

If you are a fan of JRPGs, this series (10+ games) is a lot of fun. Great character development and fun turn-based combat.
I agree. I played only one but I'd definitely get another when I have the time.

The people playing these games aren't the most discerning gamers. Given the linear nature of these games I imagine writing and testing is very straighforward.
Play one, then talk about it. Graphic is meh but the writing is very good.

One of the great things about this series is that the turn-based battle systems have a lot of depth. In the Cold Steel arc, there was a lot of customization for your character's abilities and the battles themselves had a bunch of overlapping systems (combos, magic, special abilities, a system for buffs, swapping in/out characters, etc). It was like they took the best elements from all of the major JRPG series and combined into one. Throw in a 50+ hour storyline with lots of plot twists and a huge roster of playable characters (each with their own battle style) and there was a lot to like with these games. The lack of cutting edge graphics was not a deal breaker, especially since the art is done in an anime style.

The lack of cutting edge graphics was not a deal breaker, especially since the art is done in an anime style.
I just bought this one on Steam and will be interested to see how the graphics look on Steam Deck compared with the last few on Switch.

Never had a problem with the graphics so can't see the problem with them not being cutting edge. Then again I grew up on JRPGs from the 90's and early 2000's.

Play one, then talk about it. Graphic is meh but the writing is very good.
I've been gaming for 30+ years, and I don't think I've even played a JRPG where I'd consider the writing good. It's not just JRPGs, but Japanese games in general. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy them, but their style of storytelling doesn't strike a chord with me.

Yeah, the graphics in JRPGs have never been the defining factor. The funny thing is, I do remember back in the day Final Fantasy VII becoming such a huge hit in good propotion thanks to its (back then) amazing graphics, but it was still the writing what captued the players past its flashiness, its characters with quirky personalities and ideals, and the dramatic story behind it all. Almost as dramatic as the fact that most people back then couldn't play Final Fantasy IV or VI, which didn't have the great graphics, but had even better writing and story.

To generalize saying that JRPGs have bad writing is a good upfront symptom of unchecked ignorance. Now, the writing is quirky a lot of the time for a Western player, and many of these games are aimed to Asian teenagers, which is where all of this is originated; we all know that around here it's Groundhog Day every day because "I'm not the target audience, therefore it sucks and everyone who plays it is inferior to me".

And all that said, I almost got the game today, I had it in my Steam cart, but went on to try Dark Envoy instead with all the changes they made. (It's much improved if anyone cares!). I have a feeling I'll end up getting it. We'll see!

Wherever would we be if we didn't insult entire groups of people who play a subgenre of a genre that we don't personally like, or think we wouldn't like (because first hand experience is definitely not a requirement for being judgmental). "I'm a nerd who plays RPGs, but I'm a very special, discerning kind of nerd, and I wouldn't be caught dead playing a JRPG/action RPG game/Bioware game/MMO/whatever. Only easily amused morons with no taste play that trash."

Quite a reaction. Anyway, here is a few examples of choice writing from this series of games:
Is it hard to climb when you got a big chest?

What a beautiful chest!

You don't know shit! So don't say shit!
Now, I would love to see some examples of this good writing people are talking about? I'm sure it will enthral me.

I should give their writing credit for how many different prepositions they can use with the word "Trails" though. Whatever will they come up with next? "of", "from", "into", and "through". Maybe "with" next?

I also love the fact that there is a $30 dollar DLC that gives all the characters swimsuits on release! Yes, very discerning indeed!!!! Oh sorry, it also includes one school uniform. School uniform? CHECK! JRPG trope list progressed to the next level!

ss_94a4d29069c925c206efa5e4ad91833da89f49cd.1920x1080.jpg

This set includes the following DLC:
- Van's Swimsuit
- Agnès' Swimsuit
- Feri's Swimsuit
- Aaron's Swimsuit
- Risette's Swimsuit
- Quatre's Swimsuit
- Judith's Swimsuit
- Bergard's Swimsuit
- École de Aramis Uniform Set

Over $100 of cosmetic/consumable DLC on release! Wonderful - I am sure.

I had much more fun with the last game they released though - the one with the line of boys standing opposite the line of girls and they were all wearing swimsuits and the dialogue between the groups was absolutely fantastic!!

"I'll never take life for granted again. I'm so blessed I was given this chance."

ss_ad9102bbb5ade5abac9cea7db0df412d4ef593c7.1920x1080.jpg

ss_1b04f003b36a2f822771d153d5998ac53db4d65c.1920x1080.jpg

I shudder to think of what is coming next?

But please, Men of Culture, I look forward to meeting you again in the next instalment of this fine fine franchise!! I look forward to the justifications as well, they are most enjoyable to read.

Last edited:
Quite a reaction.
Haha, yeah, it was my reaction that was over the top. I'd say all that effort you just put in was compensating for something, but it escapes me when exactly you're compensating for. Maybe you're secretly ashamed of the games you like?

Haha, yeah, it was my reaction that was over the top. I'd say all that effort you just put in was compensating for something, but it escapes me when exactly you're compensating for. Maybe you're secretly ashamed of the games you like?

I was responding to Mike not you. But regardless, are you going to provide some examples of all the wonderful writing? Yes, I am not ashamed of liking BG3, RT, CP2077 and all other great games I have played recently but I ashamed of the amount of hours I have played in the last fortnight certainly!

I was actually suprised someone got worked up from me classifying JRPG players as not discerning. There are times when I am not discerning as well and if I was eating a McDonalds cheeseburger or playing NBA2K 2027 I would not be offended in the least if someone said so. I am glad I didn't actually try to insult all the JRPG fans here as they are clearly so passionate about these wonderful games. I like girls in swimsuits as much as any other man. I am a man of culture afterall.

Back
Top Bottom