The Outer Worlds

RPGWatch

An RPGWatch Bot
Administrator
The Outer Worlds is a new single-player first-person sci-fi RPG from Obsidian Entertainment and Private Division.

In The Outer Worlds, you awake from hibernation on a colonist ship that was lost in transit to Halcyon, the furthest colony from Earth located at the edge of the galaxy, only to find yourself in the midst of a deep conspiracy threatening to destroy it. As you explore the furthest reaches of space and encounter various factions, all vying for power, the character you decide to become will determine how this player-driven story unfolds. In the corporate equation for the colony, you are the unplanned variable.

Key Features

• The player-driven story RPG: In keeping with the Obsidian tradition, how you approach The Outer Worlds is up to you. Your choices affect not only the way the story develops; but your character build, companion stories, and end game scenarios.
  • You can be flawed, in a good way: New to The Outer Worlds is the idea of flaws. A compelling hero is made by the flaws they carry with them. While playing The Outer Worlds, the game tracks your experience to find what you aren't particularly good at. Keep getting attacked by Raptidons? Taking the Raptiphobia flaw gives you a debuff when confronting the vicious creatures, but rewards you with an additional character perk immediately. This optional approach to the game helps you build the character you want while exploring Halcyon.
  • Lead your companions: During your journey through the furthest colony, you will meet a host of characters who will want to join your crew. Armed with unique abilities, these companions all have their own missions, motivations, and ideals. It's up to you to help them achieve their goals, or turn them to your own ends.
  • Explore the corporate colony: Halcyon is a colony at the edge of the galaxy owned and operated by a corporate board. They control everything... except for the alien monsters left behind when the terraforming of the colony's two planets didn't exactly go according to plan. Find your ship, build your crew, and explore the settlements, space stations, and other intriguing locations throughout Halcyon.
More information.

I recently picked up this game on my Switch a few days ago and I'm having a blast so far. While it is a heavily flawed game, with the combat encounters being way too easy even on hard and some unnecessary/unfun side quests, it feels like just the game I have been looking to play, a sci-fi RPG with a sort of pulp edge. The characters, especially Parvati, are very interesting and incredibly likeable. The planets themselves are fun to explore and have enough to keep me invested in them, and I particularly like how the story is structured, as it's not another blatant good/evil story. I also appreciate the different form of character advancement and creation, although balancing becomes a large problem rather quickly. In a way, it really does feel like a New Vegas 2 in terms of gameplay and tone, and I'm glad Obsidian took a chance with this one. Can't wait for the sequel. ;)

Glad you enjoyed it. I enjoyed my time with it as well.

Frankly it doesn't even compare to NV that was just media hype to sell the game. Having said that it was made on a small budget and the sequel looks to be funded better.

So there you have it maybe a Fallout:NV lite clone at best.:p

This came out a while ago right? I was a little confused at this post. A fun game. Not great I thought but certainly enjoyed playing it twice through.

This came out a while ago right? I was a little confused at this post. A fun game. Not great I thought but certainly enjoyed playing it twice through.
Yeah about two years ago. It's a late review. Sold a few million so it was a success. Obsidian announced the sequel last year but has been mum on new information.

Nah new player probably but most of us finished it at least a year ago with the DLC. Anyway there is no time limit for writing reviews on this thread. So no harm done.

I liked this game quite a bit, probably more than most, but didn't tackle the DLCs until a couple of months ago. I originally played it on that MS gamepass thingy, and didn't have the DLCs until I bought it for reals, cheap (on EPIC! boo hiss :p).

I thought Peril on Gorgon felt a little "more of the same", but I really liked "Murder on Eridanos". Lots of fun and humour, and a plot that kept me guessing.

I liked this game quite a bit, probably more than most, but didn't tackle the DLCs until a couple of months ago. I originally played it on that MS gamepass thingy, and didn't have the DLCs until I bought it for reals, cheap (on EPIC! boo hiss :p).

I thought Peril on Gorgon felt a little "more of the same", but I really liked "Murder on Eridanos". Lots of fun and humour, and a plot that kept me guessing.

Good to know on the DLC's as I have them but forgot all about playing them as I got distracted with other games.

Sounds like I might enjoy them and worth a final third play through!

So guess this review served a positive purpose after all :)

I was tempted but after learning that they had to cut down the content to make it fit in consoles, I preferred to stay away. A review mentioning the loot frenzy and some nonsense in the plot didn't help.

Seeing the other opinions here, the review was probably making a fuss of small things though, it seems fun enough. I'll wait and see what the 2nd game offers.

I played the game for a bit but got bored after a while. I thought the combat was boring and since there is so much of it it wasn't worth continuing for me.

I did enjoy the story and stuff but I didn't think it was amazing.

Back
Top Bottom