The Science Thread

I blame cellphones and shorter attention spans. I kid but it has merit.

Could be all the chemicals put in food nowadays as well.:unsure:

Blame social media, it is so full of stupid stuffs and that is how most of the kids and many grown-ups also spend most of their time today, instead of doing something useful.

I guess from how we vote and tackle the climate crisis, it is also a proof of how stupid most people are these days :(

I don't see the overwhelming evidence they are claiming. I've been through a few of their references and found a study on 3 decades after mid-XXth century that concludes in a very small variation around the median, another article with a lot of discrepancies and giving little references on some of the relevant claims, and yet another one mentioning articles where there is only one test on a small population without any details...

Isn't that a media clickbait, or something they misunderstood? Or is there a serious article in the lot that I missed?

One mentions an erosion at the top and a (potential?) gain below the median, which wouldn't surprise me if it were true given the changes at school (reducing the scope to make it easier, removing fundamental courses in favour of project-oriented, on-demand courses, less / no more homework, ...). Elitism has been much criticized so it's possible that schools are not pushing bright minds as much as before, but they made up by being more accessible to people with a complicated social background.

Very interesting. :unsure:
"Experiments in rats have shown that the rodents also experience similar levels of gamma oscillations around the time of death, according to the statement."
[rat dying of starvation] - sh*t, now I remember the path to get out of this stupid maze!

Very interesting. :unsure:
Interesting.

But the article has a problem. From the report, it's clear that they performed an EEG scan (scanning the electrical activity of the brain). But the first image shown, with the caption "Scientist recently captured the first ever scan of a dying human brain..." is from something completely different, a CT imaging procedure, which they did not perorm at that specific moment

vLfHUpDYoNcVjQWg8d9xfb-970-80.jpg

pibbuR who knows the difference.

PS. From the original article in Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience (https://www.frontiersin.org/article...i-fnagi-what-happens-in-the-brain-when-we-die), we learn that the patient had suffered from a bilateral subdural hematoma (bleeding under the outer brain membrane), which isn't uncommon in the elderly. CT images taken before and after draining it (but before the EEG scan) clearly show the bleeding, and the successful evacuation on the left side of the skull (right in the image). Incomplete evacuation on the right hand side, but the haematoma is judged as stable (not expanding).

fnagi-14-813531-g001.jpg

One interesting thing:
CT scanners can (unlike MRI) only obtain cross section images. So, how come we also see frontal sections (B and D)? Well, from a stack of preferably thin cross sections, other sections (and 3D models) can be reconstructed. In image D you can clearly see evidence of this procedure in the jagged contour in the upper right part of the image (upper left of the patient's brain).

Last edited:
CT scanners can (unlike MRI) only obtain cross section images. So, how come we also see frontal sections (B and D)? Well, if there are enough thin cross sections, other sections (and 3D models) can be reconstructed. In image D you can clearly see evidence of this procedure in the jagged contour in the upper right part of the image (upper left of the patient's brain).
They could simply cut the patient's head and make it pass vertically in this donut-like machine, it would give a, hm, sharper image. :eek:

More seriously though, I'm impressed that they have enough resolution to reconstruct the image that way, I had no idea they did that (because I hadn't thought about the practicalities). Are there so many sections?

I had read that article - translated - several months ago already.
It indeed stated that the man was suddenly dying while being in a scanner.

They could simply cut the patient's head and make it pass vertically in this donut-like machine, it would give a, hm, sharper image. :eek:

More seriously though, I'm impressed that they have enough resolution to reconstruct the image that way, I had no idea they did that (because I hadn't thought about the practicalities). Are there so many sections?
As many as we want.

20+ years ago when I worked as a radiologist wannabe, for many CT scans we ordered 10mm thick slices. A CT scan of the brain would then contain around 15-20 slices, twice as many if we added scans using a contrast medium. But we can produce far thinner slices. For some high resolution examinations of the lung, slices were as thin as 1 mm, but with 10 mm between slices.

I was simplifying how we reconstruct frontal images. In the first CT machines, the patient was moved stepwise trough the gantry (the doughnut), for instance 10 mm at a time, and scans were made at each stop. Thus, each slice was independent from every other slice in the stack.

With modern CT machines (Spiral CT scanners), the patient is moved through the doughnut and scanned continuously, producing helical X-ray data. This preserves more of the 3D information, and reconstruction becomes much more precise.

BTW, it is possible to obtain frontal sections from the skull directly, if the gantry can be tilted with the patient in a supine position. We didn't often do it that way back then.

BTW2. Even more modern CT machines (Multislice scanners) are equipped with several, some times as many as 64 detector rows. This allows for much faster scans, and also improves reconstrtuction quality significantly.

pibbuR

Hmm, I'm pretty sure I've seen reports of laser discharging Cb clouds 10 years ago already. The idea is not really to guide bolts once they appear because there's no time for that, but to provoke lightning bolts that are likely to strike and even more, by ionizing a chosen path.

Too bad they don't show the footage they mention.

More applied science, but exciting if that actually works

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGxTnGEAx3E

EDIT: Apparently it's economically viable and some products using this should appear on the market in 2nd half of 2023 (in the video). I must admit that I'm sceptical, what's the downside?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom