The Science Thread

Looks like the conversation is going down. :ROFLMAO:

It's probably good for creatures of habit, but I don't want my WC announcing me I have cancer just because last night's party has changed my, erm, patterns. ;)

PS: interesting idea though, I've always been in favour of analyzing changes to detect problems.

Musk’s Neuralink company hopes to implant a computer in a human brain in six months.
Scary and interesting, but 6 months? We'll see if that's not another of those games that will be delayed again. ;)

I've worked on the design of an optical nerve stimulating device a few years ago. I understand why the FDA wants to regulate that; to give an idea, one of the challenging problems we faced was to make sure the sum of the current injected by the probes was always zero (within some tolerance), or it would deteriorate the cells. And it's not easy to control leakage currents in low-power devices, not even mentioning potential software bugs...

This is way beyond optical nerves though. It seems to be mostly about sampling signals for now and not injecting them, I suppose that's the ultimate goal. I'm not sure I would easily trust someone knowing a little of what could go wrong.

I'm even more impressed by their suggestion system, beats Youtube: :ROFLMAO:
Meh this was the only article on the topic the rest were just the video.:mourn:

So we as a species are apparently getting dumber. :unsure:
The Flynn effect is well known among intelligence researchers. As far as I know, there's only speculation why people's results decreased the last decades.

I've read similar speculations as the second article, but also that the IQ-tests are too limited compared to how much is involved in actual problem solving and actually only measure classic academic intelligence the way we used to train it, or that it's simply a regression to the mean (that previous results were too high due to random chance).

Your guess is as good as mine but hey it's happening regardless of opinion.

Back
Top Bottom