The Totally NEW Team Corwin Thread

For our potential new members, looking forward to running with you. The more, the merrier. You've got about a week and a half before we start up the new group. We've got both trap monkey spots covered and plenty of sources of healing so y'all can bring whatever sort of toons you'd like to run. The new group will start running at toon level 4 so position your group toon there if possible. Running all of Korthos will get a first lifer pretty close to lvl4 IIRC. If it doesn't quite work out getting positioned in time, it's not really a problem. We will happily assist and being first-lifers will make it very easy for us to get you caught up. The only "rule" is that we take levels as a group- you lose the bravery streak XP bonus if anyone's over-level for a quest so we stick together.

For our potential new members, looking forward to running with you. The more, the merrier. You've got about a week and a half before we start up the new group. We've got both trap monkey spots covered and plenty of sources of healing so y'all can bring whatever sort of toons you'd like to run. The new group will start running at toon level 4 so position your group toon there if possible. Running all of Korthos will get a first lifer pretty close to lvl4 IIRC. If it doesn't quite work out getting positioned in time, it's not really a problem. We will happily assist and being first-lifers will make it very easy for us to get you caught up. The only "rule" is that we take levels as a group- you lose the bravery streak XP bonus if anyone's over-level for a quest so we stick together.
Is there a way to start a new character at Level 4? Or do I need to solo one up to Level 4?

So far the hardest part has been finding a character name that isn't already taken. I've tried all kinds of crazy combinations with weird spelling, etc. and EVERYTHING is taken. If I name my character something like "jcfmndejklhjebhjvfbv" I can finally create one, but that's no proper name for a mighty hero, lol.

Is there a way to start a new character at Level 4? Or do I need to solo one up to Level 4?

So far the hardest part has been finding a character name that isn't already taken. I've tried all kinds of crazy combinations with weird spelling, etc. and EVERYTHING is taken. If I name my character something like "jcfmndejklhjebhjvfbv" I can finally create one, but that's no proper name for a mighty hero, lol.
There is (veteran status) but honestly I wouldn't recommend it. There is some value in soloing those first few levels, particularly if you've been away from the game for a while. You get a better feel for what your character can and can't do and also get a chance to develop your hot bars (both what you want where and getting used to making use of them).

Reminder that the group is on the Khyber server.

Naming would certainly be tricky at this point. Most of us have been running the same 4-6 active toons each for the last decade so we don't have to do that dance anymore. JM, Alrik, and CM each have 7341 toons so they might have some tricks to naming they could share. Even way back then, I had to twist around to get names I could use - Phuury (Fury, although the group tends to call him Furry, 1st life was a barbarian), Wouldii (Woody, first life was a ranger), Rhogu (Rogue, you can guess his first life), and Shadohe (Shadow). I also had Botdu Hyl (faux French for Heal-bot) and Klubbir (a great club wielding barbarian 1st life) but those two are in mothballs these days because 4 toons is enough to cover my needs.

Last edited:
You can sometimes add special characters to a name like an accent mark. Also try creative spelling as DTE suggests for example Corrwinnn, or something similar will eventually work; short name are your enemy!! :)

He hasn't brought around the other couple toons we farmed out keys for, so Grimma represents the first opportunity.
I'm sorry. Yes, I admit it, this is my fault. I'm not used to TR a toon over and over again - that's something that still has to grow with me.

My thought was simply this : Grimma is a relatively simple character with no hassles. Concentrating in Warhammers because of deity. Which makes inventory relatively easy to manage, becauseof only warhammers. (Okay, it got a tiny bit more complicated, but hey, that's just the way it is with me. ;) )
I noticed that i haven't run Senha in quite a while, and she does have a key. She hasn't TR'd yet. She is level 21 or 22 now. I mostly run her as a mule these days .
Alrih, in on the other hand, still has this huge inventory problem, even although I'd love to TR her one day.
Bany is meant to remain in the 30s for a end game character/toon, but she is still in the *early* 30. Means 30 or 31, I think.
Anrilkana, one of my favourite toons, is level - I think - 27 now, because I once threw her in as an replacement for .. I don't know which one of my toons - and she could TR as well, I think. I need to look whether she has a key or not. I think I levelled her up into 20 alone, and thewn ... I don't quite remember.
I have several other toons, in various levels, but not in level 4. They are mostly mules right now.
The original Alrikadaram is one of them. Still level 17 and Ranger.
My most complex experiment is right now Cathyan (named after Cathy in ghost form from Wuthering Heights), who is meant to be a Pale Master Eldritch Knight with a few Fighter levels splashed in. The Pale Master form I want to try out is Lich. I'm still unsure whether i should try to splash in a few levels of Dark Aposthate, but at this time, I'm leaning into "no". I don't have the slightest clue whether this experiment might/will work at all !

short name are your enemy!! :)
Not neccessarily; I once took the name "Bany" from the words "bane" or "banning", and it actually worked !
("Bany, the bane of the undead ones !" - That was my character motto for mer.)

My method usually is to use a word or name, and change it a bit - or a lot. Like with "Alrikadaram", "Cathyan", or "Senha" (instead of "Senya"). Ore "Anrilkana", which uses fragments of "Anvil", "America" and "Americana".

I think my original account has vanished, so I need to get my account set up first and re-acclimate myself to the game, and then I'll shoot one of you a DM. :)
You could ask the customer support if you have memory fragments of your old account, still, or even a character name.

It's not a problem, Alrik. Just another "variable in the equation". Since you're bringing Grimma around, we'll get you a key and all will be fine. To get 125 PDK favor will entail a little wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am tomorrow so fasten your seatbelt and wear your running shoes. ;)

There are two way's Veteran I and II bring you to 4 and 7 respectively. The third is to start a character in an Iconic Class; these also cost money, and are a class/race specific combination like Sun Elf Morninglord Cleric or Deep Gnome Wizard. My Mirys is currently a Half Ogre Purple Dragon Knight.

They get enough XP to go to level 15, but you don't have to take level; you can just hold until the group is ready for the next level.

For character names, I've got a few which use Gaelic or other lesser known languages' spelling. I also have a BiteyKatt, though that's a mule.

My most complex experiment is right now Cathyan (named after Cathy in ghost form from Wuthering Heights), who is meant to be a Pale Master Eldritch Knight with a few Fighter levels splashed in. The Pale Master form I want to try out is Lich. I'm still unsure whether i should try to splash in a few levels of Dark Aposthate, but at this time, I'm leaning into "no". I don't have the slightest clue whether this experiment might/will work at all !
Wizards are really dependent on their class levels; Spellsword in Eldritch Knight needs Level 18 to max out it's imbue level. The L18 core and capstone add even more imbue dice. To be fair, casters in general are level dependent; other than Bard I wouldn't multiclass any of them. But I would at most go 18 Wizard/2 Other. With the Other being more toward Rogue or Arty for the trap skills and possible evasion.

The Fighter levels add only a few feats and heavy armor proficiency, which still affects your spell casting failure; EKs can wear up to Medium Armor with no spell failure, and they get martial weapons proficiency and Knight's Transformation gives them full BAB.

For the Pale Master forms, Vampire has that lovely (ask Dte!) light damage vulnerability, but gets a chance of a heal on hit effect, while wraith has some stacking incorporeal for defense. Lich has +2 CON though, and some MRR. So I'm not sure which would technically be better. I'm planning a similar Death Knight build for Mirys to attempt later, once her Half-Ogre life is done. You kinda want to go up as far as possible on the cores; you can get some extra defense, HP, or damage, but to get all two of the three Augmentation cores you have to get to level 12. That's 31 points minimum, plus 41 in EK, because you need the Improved Knight's Transformation for the +1 Crit Multiplier. Then you kinda need to go up Harper for INT to damage, which is 12 points.

Dark apostate would take 3 levels just to get the Shadow form; 6 to make it as good as Wraith form is at base. That's a major negative impact to your Eldritch Knight damage, as well as spreading your AP that you don't have impossibly thin. Unfortunately, DDO isn't Advanced Dungeons and Dragons where a Mage/Cleric can work.

Thank you very much, that was helpful for me.

Today's proof that DDO hates me:

Solo'd Madstone, which ain't easy particularly if you tend to get turned around. But lo, did I manage to protect all 3 seers and kill the Foozle without all that much hassle. Then, with nothing left but to visit the giant to complete the quest, I jumped the wrong direction. Which still would have been OK had I not lagged right into that one inescapable lava pool. Grrrrr.
If you have DD you can jump, through it and get out on the second jump, but you have to have the spell and some luck. Can you tell I've been in that pit? lol

A note for our possible new players. We check this forum just before the run on Friday at the latest. If you want to join us, need to not join us, want to get a toon in the guild, or anything else just post a note here and someone will be able to respond either in the forum or with a PM.

Yeah, even the rogue splashes for evasion tend not to pay off these days. Ignoring carry builds for the moment, about the only 2 multiclass builds I've run that were worth a hoot are the machine gun nun (cleric 18 / arty 2, IIRC) and that Feydark FvS mutt (FvS 15 / Bard 3 / Fighter 2) I've run a couple times.

Just confirming for our new friends that we'll be starting the new group next week, running lvl4 toons, starting with the harbor 2's.

Horizon view:

lvl3: good chance someone won't have the Saltmarsh expansion so I'm figuring the Gatekeeper 3's, Catacombs, and STK (yes, I'm signing on for hobgoblin hell). Probably be holding level while we start WW.

lvl4: Finish WW and we'll obviously run Syndicate for CL favor. Catastrophe. Irestone.

lvl5: probably rolling in under level given the lack of 4's, HouseK bar quests for favor, Either Feywild or a combo of 3BC and Necro1 (wouldn't hurt to work toward a Silver Flame necklace for the new guys) depending on availability of the expansion.

A note for our possible new players. We check this forum just before the run on Friday at the latest. If you want to join us, need to not join us, want to get a toon in the guild, or anything else just post a note here and someone will be able to respond either in the forum or with a PM.
Yes, you can do that. We don't bite.

There's a 2->3 WIS tome in the officer chest. Free to a good home.

It's probably good for our new guildies to post their toon names on Khyber in this thread so they can get a guild invite via the game mail system. Then you can open the mailbox in the harbor and activate the guild invite. Then you can enter the guild airship for buffs, chests etc. Every area has an entrance to the guild airships shown as a green anchor on the map.

Otherwise the toon inviting and the toon being invited must be online at the same time. That will certainly happen just before the Friday session, but invitations can be sent via game mail to offline toons. We just need to know the toon name.

The ship buffs can be quite helpful when soloing content. However, you don't get access to the guildship until you leave Korthos. It's possible to leave Korthos and re-enter. However you then get to what's called the sunny side instead of the snowy side. That means you can only get into groups with others from the same side. Still, if you prefer to solo the Korthos quests it could be an idea to just finish the initial "Grotto" quest to get to the Korthos village. Then leave Korthos via a ship to get to the Harbor. Then get to the mailbox to use the guild invite. Then enter the guildship for buffs and finally move back to Korthos from the Harbor to do the rest of the Korthos quests, slayers, rares and explorers.

Then get back to the Harbor to be ready for the Friday run. It doesn't matter if you didn't get all the way to level 4 because as a first lifer you need half the number of XP as the rest of us to get to the next level. When running with us on reaper 1 difficulty on Fridays you will get XP so fast you will quickly catch us and even get past us. We have a saying that first lifers live at the XP wall. That means you can only accumulate enough XP to be 1 XP away from being 2 levels above your current level. All XP earned after that is wasted. You can hold 1 level before you take it, but not 2.

As a first lifer you can only open quests on solo, casual or normal. 2nd lifers can in addition open hard while 3rd lifers and beyond can in addition open elite and reaper. VIP accounts can open at any difficulty. If you repeat a quest you can open at one difficulty higher than what you've completed earlier. However, you can JOIN a quest at any difficulty. It's only checked against the quest opener. That's one reason to joining groups when you're a first lifer. Favor is quite important in the game and you get 2x the favor of normal when running on hard and 3x when running on elite or reaper. So we tend to run on the highest difficulty to get max favor. Favors are separated into different patrons and you have several tiers of favor you can earn. Some are trivial like bonuses to skills, more HP's, but other open access to character classes etc. That makes these favors very important for non VIP players.

You get more XP and chances for loot the higher the difficulty is. Our Friday runs will usually run on reaper 1 difficulty. In certain quests we run at a lower difficulty, typically when we short man raids. Regular quests can have up to 6 members and raids up to 12 members. First lifers soloing quests should probably start running on normal. The difficulty increases significantly from normal to hard and even more to elite. Those are made for groups or toons with many past lives.

Do the new members know how to access our Discord channel? Do they need to get an invite or can they request access? We're usually playing while speaking, but we can also use party or guild chat within the game to type messages to each other. It's a matter of preference.

Just confirming for our new friends that we'll be starting the new group next week, running lvl4 toons, starting with the harbor 2's.

Horizon view:

lvl3: good chance someone won't have the Saltmarsh expansion so I'm figuring the Gatekeeper 3's, Catacombs, and STK (yes, I'm signing on for hobgoblin hell). Probably be holding level while we start WW.

lvl4: Finish WW and we'll obviously run Syndicate for CL favor. Catastrophe. Irestone.

lvl5: probably rolling in under level given the lack of 4's, HouseK bar quests for favor, Either Feywild or a combo of 3BC and Necro1 (wouldn't hurt to work toward a Silver Flame necklace for the new guys) depending on availability of the expansion.
I recommend Feywild, since we'll have new players. Assuming they have access of course; they can use the gear there (for that matter, Corwin and Alrik too). I have 1-2 of everything so I don't need much there, but I enjoy most of the pack.

3BC I recommend solely to push Corwin through Prove Your Worth again.

We should also hit Chronoscope, Delera's (for their Voice), and perhaps actually run ToEE this time around.

Last edited:
Notice : Grimmaramma is TR'd now and sits with level 1 at the beginning of the Korthos chain. I'll proceed further during the week.

P.S. : Do guest passes still exist ? Although I don't remember their costs anymore ... I think they should be the exception, though.
Regarding Feywild : I peronaly find their items particularly good-looking. I glamered several of them. I also loved the pack for soloing, although it is a little bit more demanding story-wise than others, I think.

Back
Top Bottom