The TV Series discussion thread

I just watched the 5th episode of 3-Body Problem, which happens to be the highest scored one - 8.8 on IMDb.

Man, this is becoming embarrassingly ridiculous. I could name a few examples of big science problems only in this episode, like the instantaneous discussion with someone 4 lightyears away, the entanglement of something as large as the sophons and how that could be used to transmit information, the multi-dimension gibberish, the optic fiber slicing anything like butter, the sophons interacting with particles (apparently everywhere at once?) without any problem, ... But fine, not everyone remembers the lessons from school.

Not only the science is completely ludicrous, but the plot itself doesn't make any sense at all. For example, the way they decide to get the 'harddrive' (do people still call them that?) by destroying the whole ship, risking to destroy the drive - which, by the way, inexplicably comes from the San-Ti, who are 4 lightyears away. Also, why they directly see the unique, big file as a level they haven't seen before (and where are the other levels, then?). Or how the 'sophon level' can be used by all the simulation hardware miraculously retrieved from the ship which has been completely destroyed. Or why doesn't Auggie see the countdown any more? Oh yes, because the San-Ti don't protect the people on the Judgement Day any more (but why don't they stop the physicists, since they intent to sabotage the science?!).

Those goofs were not too serious in the previous episodes, but this is beyond silly. Are those events related like that in the books, too?

I'm even more amazed that people find it fantastic. I'll probably keep watching just to find all the blunders. :D

Back
Top Bottom