The TV Series discussion thread

Ok, this might be just me but I just finished Devs, and found it pretty bad. I’m surprised I found it so lacking because I remember people recommending it.

The idea behind it all was ok, though nothing original I found. But the execution itself was pretty bad.

It all starts with the monotone acting of almost everyone, and the absolute bad acting of the lady playing Lily. God she was bad.

Then the writing, sometimes pretentious as hell, sometimes just cringy as hell. The 6th episode in particular. That was just the worst.

Also, when I heard Forest explaining that the V in Devs is a Roman U, I think I felt my eyes roll backwards a couple of times. God damn that was cringy.

I’m shocked how bad I felt about the whole experience, since I liked Ex Machina and very much enjoyed Annihilation, Alex Garlands other works.

Am I the only one who felt this way? I hope it didn’t just catch me at a bad time. But I don’t think it did. I hope.

EDIT: oh and I forgot about this. The lead character is an encryption engineer and she had a hard time understanding that true randomness does’t exist in the universe. wtf. bad writing.

Last edited:
I watched the first four episodes of Raised by Wolves, and I think it's excellent so far. Classic Ridley Scott.

I just watched the trailer. I could swear that voice is S.H.O.D.A.N.'s :)

I just watched the trailer. I could swear that voice is S.H.O.D.A.N.'s :)

It's funny you mention that because I remember thinking of Shodan last night while watching it. :)

Six episodes in now and I'm still enjoying it. You can definitely see shades of other Ridley Scott works, like Prometheus, but it also reminds me of BSG a little.

Are you still enjoying it? I haven't watched more than a couple of episodes of Hill House personally (didn't dislike it, just didn't keep going), but some friends loved Hill House but bailed on Bly Manor.

They're a funny contrast. Hill House told an effective ghost story right up until the end, when it made nonsense out of everything that had happened up to that point by trying to force a sentimental, "happy" (really though?) ending.

Bly Manor is less scary, less gripping, less interesting in general, with the exception of some strong performances. But in a way it's more successful as a whole work, because in rejecting horror in favor of romance it manages to make the sentimental ending make sense in the context of the ghost story that's gone before.

It's funny you mention that because I remember thinking of Shodan last night while watching it. :)

Six episodes in now and I'm still enjoying it. You can definitely see shades of other Ridley Scott works, like Prometheus, but it also reminds me of BSG a little.

This series wasn't on my radar up until now. I'll start watching it pretty soon.

Yesterday I started re-watching Battlestar Galactica, the newer version, starting with the mini-series that came out in late '03 if I remember right. Good stuff and man, compared to most drek on the telly these days, it's so refreshing to find something that, even though I've seen it all before, it's still so damn good. Next up I'll be starting with the actual episodes.

Finished Raised by Wolves. The last few episodes were a real mind-fuck. Overall, I liked it a lot, and I'm already looking forward to the inevitable second season.

I thought I wrote already but in case I didn't.
First 3 episodes, awsome.
Then it goes that whatever zombie show mode where nothing ever happens. Drag, drag, stretch, fill, bore ppl to death.
Finally, something does happen in the last episode and of course those are all cliffhangers.

Skippit. Raised by Wolves. Or, watch episodes 1, 2, 3 and 10.

Well I was enjoying this season of The Mandalorian until the most recent episode. Not only was it very cliché and predictable, but they also brought back Gina Carano.

She can't act and brings absolutely nothing to the show. Hopefully it was just for that episode.

I tried the Mandalorian, it just seemed so average to me. Not bad, simply not worth my time, at least for me. I'll say this much: it's way better than the two joke-shows that are disguised as Star Trek.

I did catch an ABC show the other night, Big Sky, that was pretty interesting, at least the pilot was. I saw the trooper being a bad guy a mile away, so I'm keen to see what might happen next. And it didn't seem preachy or agenda-filled, which is several huge pluses in my book.

I like Mandalorian probably because I am a big fan of Star Wars but I agree that it is not so good in general.

I loved Star Wars, but they lost me with the prequels back, what, in the nineties? Whenever they came out, they just seemed such a let-down from the original series. Of the newest ones, the only ones I've seen are two: the one where they killed Han, and then the Rogue one film. The Rogue movie I actually enjoyed, it wasn't perfect but fun, the one that they killed Han in I detested and just never watched the ones that followed.

I'm really enjoying the third season of Star Trek Discovery. The first two were a mixed bag for me. I'm still not fond of the visuals and some other things, but overall I find season three quite fascinating and warm, for lack of a better word. Has me glued to the screen.

The Mandalorian jumped back to the light side of the force this week. Very good episode with some quality guest stars and characters from the expanded universe. Pluse we finally got to see some lightsaber action.

Such a fun episode of Mandalorian. The series just feels very star warsy to me. I love those silent moments between characters for example. Everything doesn't need to be explained. They leave some room for the viewer to draw his own conclusions. The director really understands that often it is just best to show and not tell. The sense of adventure is what reminds me of classic ere star wars. It is just made with such care. I like it much more than the modern star wars era films. Big thumbs for the music score as well! Hopefully we get to see more of those baby yoda training scenes! :)

I started watching a new show a couple of weeks ago called Big Sky. I wasn't sure from the ads what it would be about, it looked at first like it might be some silly comedy. It is no comedy, and I'm enjoying it so far.

I've also come to the conclusion that any show that puts an entire series up in just one day is shooting itself in both feet. When you view a show once a week you talk about it with mates, friends, co-workers, family, etc and it stays semi-fresh, to be re-discussed the following week. That almost entirely fades away if you can simply watch the entire run in a day or few days. At least that's something I've concluded, so now even when the option is there to watch it all, I take little bites.

Back
Top Bottom