The TV Series discussion thread

I started watching Mr Robot last night. I only watched the first episode since it was over an hour long, but I liked it. The music has a cool Deus Ex vibe, and the episode reminded me of The Matrix in some ways. (The speech Slater's character gives Eliot was bascially ripped from the speech Morpheus gave to Neo). Looking forward to seeing more of the show.

I started watching Mr Robot last night. I only watched the first episode since it was over an hour long, but I liked it. The music has a cool Deus Ex vibe, and the episode reminded me of The Matrix in some ways. (The speech Slater's character gives Eliot was bascially ripped from the speech Morpheus gave to Neo). Looking forward to seeing more of the show.

The music is great throughout. Mac Quayle did a fantastic job. Such a good job that he then got the job of doing the soundtrack for Last of Us 2.

Yeah, Mr. Robot takes inspiration from various contemporary works, as you’ll see. But builds it all into something very unique.

It also takes great effort that every hacking scene is authentic. There’s entire articles detailing each hacking scene, that’s usually explained as simple as possible in the episode itself, for the layman.

Mr. Robot was really decent, I enjoyed it a great deal. I wouldn't pretend to always fully know what they were up to with all the computer shenanigans, yet that didn't stop me from liking the show!

I tried out a new show for me a few days ago called Hunters. It's about folks hunting Nazis that evaded capture at the end of the second world war, and now live secretly among the population, in the seventies. I really enjoy shows set in this time period, I've only watched two episode so far and have enjoyed them both.

I tried out a new show for me a few days ago called Hunters. It's about folks hunting Nazis that evaded capture at the end of the second world war, and now live secretly among the population, in the seventies. I really enjoy shows set in this time period, I've only watched two episode so far and have enjoyed them both.
Wow, Al Pacino is still acting?
Thanks for the tip, it sounds good, I'll have to try this. Luckily it's available here and in original version.

I started Breaking Bad again, and I'm surprised at some of the more stealthy references from BCS. But the main thing I'm doing in this rerun is that I'm listening to the actors/director/tech-people commentary on some of the episodes. It's fascinating how many details go into an episode. For ex, I had no idea that the producers needed to contact the tatoo artist that did Emilio's tattoo, to get his permission to feature them in the movie. Fascinating. I had no idea tattoos are registered as works of art, and you as the owner can't do anything you like with them.

And man is Bryan Cranston hilarious. His commentary is funny as hell. So funny that I'm afraid that this might kill Heisenberg for me. :lol:

And man is Bryan Cranston hilarious. His commentary is funny as hell. So funny that I'm afraid that this might kill Heisenberg for me. :lol:

It's like watching behind the scenes stuff from horror films. The people who are brutally murdering each other are so often very kind and good natured with each other on set.

Finished Deep Space 9 - and came away with a more positive opinion on it than last time I watched it.

I still think the ending is incredibly underwhelming - and I still don't appreciate how they made Star Trek dark and gritty to a certain extent, and don't even get me started on the whole Dax situation.

But when it comes to dark and gritty - it's still handled 29 times better than current Trek - that's for sure.

But if you want a superior version of it, Babylon 5 all the way for sure.

Loki 6.5/10

Not a big Marvel Fan (for the most part, I can take it or leave it) - but this was actually kinda fun. I liked it.

Now, I'm watching ST: Voyager :)

Voyager might be a bit of a come-down after DS9, then again your mileage may vary. They do have some really good episodes, and the premise was outstanding in the beginning, I just thought the series stayed more lackluster, for want of a better term.

Voyager might be a bit of a come-down after DS9, then again your mileage may vary. They do have some really good episodes, and the premise was outstanding in the beginning, I just thought the series stayed more lackluster, for want of a better term.

I've seen it before :)

Truth be told, I actually prefer Voyager (the later seasons, anyway) - but it has less to do with the quality of the characters and writing (which is superior in DS9), and more to do with what I really like about Trek - which is actual sci-fi and thought-provoking plots, as well as a bright-future-for-mankind mindset.

That's kind of why I thought the premise was quite solid for Voyager, and perhaps a way to do something quite different from what DS9 had done (and no slight against that show, yet it was quite dire at times). The ship being in a new quadrant opened every possibility, but the show seemed to meander in ways that it shouldn't have. I might have to do a full re-watch of the series at some point.

That's kind of why I thought the premise was quite solid for Voyager, and perhaps a way to do something quite different from what DS9 had done (and no slight against that show, yet it was quite dire at times). The ship being in a new quadrant opened every possibility, but the show seemed to meander in ways that it shouldn't have. I might have to do a full re-watch of the series at some point.

I started out more or less despising Voyager - but that was way back when, and I was a big TNG fanboy.

I watched it properly (all the way through) for the first time a few years ago - and found that I'd been quite harsh on it.

I will say that there's a lot of mediocre episodes in there - and the characters are probably the least compelling of the "big 4" shows - but the average quality of each episode is probably even higher than both TNG and DS9 - as in there are very few downright crappy episodes.

It also has a lot of TNG-style weird sci-fi plots - which is something I love about trek.

It's also funny that I originally HATED Janeway and Neelix - but, by the end of the show, they became some of my favorite characters :)

It's a kind of comfort food, I guess.

Started watching Dark. About 2 thirds into season 1. Pretty decent so far. I really hope they manage to put a good twist to the classic time travel tale.

My only complaint so far is that, and maybe this is just me, but I find most of the song choices (the songs that have lyrics I mean) they use throughout the episodes are just bad choices. I either find they don't match, or have a corny "pull-on-your-heartstring" vibe, but done in a cheap way.

Actually, another complaint is that it's in german. :D So most of the time my eyes are on the subtitles and not the picture. And this is double annoying when someone narrates, and the picture presents something different, so you need to watch both at the same time. Annoying.

But other than that, it's good. And I love how it's shot. It looks beautiful.

I really enjoyed the first season of Dark - until it became evident that it doesn't really have as much to say as it seems - and the second season only confirms it.

But it's great at creating a sense of wonder and mystery. Very atmospheric.

I really enjoyed the first season of Dark - until it became evident that it doesn't really have as much to say as it seems - and the second season only confirms it.

But it's great at creating a sense of wonder and mystery. Very atmospheric.

Really? Hm, so then I need to keep my expectations in check. I was hoping they had something unique. I guess I'll see for myself.

So far my favorite time travel movie is a little indie one called Predestination. Loved that, and how mind-bending it was. But still managed to explain everything pretty clearly.

Really? Hm, so then I need to keep my expectations in check. I was hoping they had something unique. I guess I'll see for myself.

So far my favorite time travel movie is a little indie one called Predestination. Loved that, and how mind-bending it was. But still managed to explain everything pretty clearly.

Keep in mind that I'm hard to please :)

I think I saw that one, though I can't remember for certain.

Don't listen to him.
He has a peripheral view blindness sometimes and can't spot ingenious details which makes him not appreciating masterpieces while at the same time he adores some stuff where details are an absolute disgrace and sometimes disgusting.

Unlike most of time travel movies Predestination belongs to the timeloop genre. Although some sources won't accept this as the point of the story is the casual loop, but when it comes to this genre it's the filming style that matters, not the story nor subgenres.
The title gives away that it deals with the certain time travel paradox of the same name and once you see the movie you'll never forget it.

So watch the show till the end or till it bores you (;)), then decide for yourself.

Yeah, that's what I intend.
I'm on episode 8, and they just introduced the second time interval, '53. I have a feeling this is going to get even more hard to track as to who, is who's who, in the far past, past, present.

For some reason, maybe it's the fact that they're german, but the for the longest time I've had issues keeping track as to who's who and who's who's. If they now intend on doing this with a second level, I feel it's gonna get messy fast.

But at least it keeps me on my toes.

Back
Top Bottom