The TV Series discussion thread

Nod, there is a terrible amount of whinging about his issues, I understand that being portrayed once, you do not have to continue to hammer me about the head with it every single episode, though.

Just finished season 2. I thought was better than the first season. I still don't find Elliot all that interesting, but I like the FBI vs Dark Army vs E Corp love triangle. Phillip Price and Whiterose are the most intriguing characters to me.

Just finished season 2. I thought was better than the first season. I still don't find Elliot all that interesting, but I like the FBI vs Dark Army vs E Corp love triangle. Phillip Price and Whiterose are the most intriguing characters to me.

Yeah, both actors playing Price and Whiterose are great.

I finished Dark completely. I enjoyed it a lot more in the end, than I thought I would while watching. The ending pulled it all together pretty well.

Even though throughout most of it, sometimes it felt a lot like a jumbled mess, or at least I couldn't keep track of everything (so I trust it all makes sense), the end tied it together. Up until the last 2-3 episodes I was still sure it would not make sense. But it did. Somewhat.

I mean, there's still plenty of stuff that's either great coincidences, or stuff that seems to operate on dream logic, where things just seem to happen at the right time. But considering the explanation at the end, I guess you could reason that it still makes sense.

One thing I did not like is the absolutely heavy exposition where characters basically told other characters, and us the audience, exactly what needs or will happen. To explain it as plainly. But I can also imagine it is hard to explain this sort of thing by pictures. And they probably didn't want to leave stuff up for interpretation. Oh, and there are certain signature expression that feel like they're repeated ad nauseam. Probably for effect. But it just got on my nerves.

Another thing which is a minus, for me at least, is I feel most of the emotional stuff just never got through to me. And I'm not sure if it's because it's all in german, and I just never got to really experience the characters, since I only read their lines. Or if it's something else. Basically, I feel I did not really experience most of the performances of actors. I can't remember if I usually feel this way for foreign movies in general. But since this was 20+ hours, it really took it out of me.

But I'm also glad it is over. Towards the end it really felt like a slog. I think I'm burned out on tv series, since for the last weeks I've pretty much binged Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul and Dark. Time of a long pause on video content. Bleah.

I really enjoyed the documentary Gods of Snooker. Quite a few interesting characters, and good fun to see some of that 70s/80s culture.

A friend suggested Britannia to me, so I've been checking it out the past two weeks. I have to admit I was hooked almost immediately simply due to the theme music, using that Donovan song, that told me right off the bat that the druidic elements would likely be well done and significant.

Taking a break from Mr. Robot. I don't have the time to binge this week. I might start watching season 3 of Dark since I never finished that and it's only 8 episodes.

Taking a break from Mr. Robot. I don't have the time to binge this week. I might start watching season 3 of Dark since I never finished that and it's only 8 episodes.

Just don't let Mr. Robot stew too much, since the more you leave it off the less chance you'll pick it back up.

I started another series I never managed to fully complete. Deadwood. Every time I start it back up I re-remember how great the acting is in this one. Ian McShane in particular is fantastic. He's evil, but also likeable.

Deadwood is another fine show that I tend to re-watch every five years or so. Sadly though, I believe the quality at HBO has seriously dropped off in the past few years.

Deadwood is another fine show that I tend to re-watch every five years or so. Sadly though, I believe the quality at HBO has seriously dropped off in the past few years.

The Last of Us will a real test for me.

I still feel, overall (currently running and ended shows), HBO's own content is still probably the best content of all networks.

Currently, I would name:
Euphoria (though I've only see a little bit, but it's good)
Curb Your Enthusiasm
True Detective (technically, it's ended, but I'm still hopinh for another season. 1 and 3 were great)
Avenue 5 (a decent comedy with some nice social commentary)

Be sure to include the concluding movie in your (re)watch.

Of course, that's also part of the reason I picked it up again.
God damn Ian McShane is just fantastic. It's like that role was written for him.

After Deadwood, if I'm still in the same mood, I might pick up Justified.

Justified is decent, it's no Deadwood, yet still well worth viewing. The Deadwood film turned out better than I thought it would. I watched some of Euphoria, it's just too weird for me, I've never encountered people that exist in the show in real life, so whatever issues they had mattered not to me. It is, however, a fine display of why some people shouldn't be parents.

Struggling through the second season of ST:VOY - which I would call pretty bland overall. I remember why I used to hate Neelix (that whole jealousy thing with Paris/Kes is hard to watch).

But I know it gets better - so I'll just have to deal with the initial blandness.

If you've ever spent time in the areas featured in Justified, it will make the show even more endearing, or at least it did for me. The West Virginian/Kentuckian mentality about certain things can be quite hilarious.

If you've ever spent time in the areas featured in Justified, it will make the show even more endearing, or at least it did for me. The West Virginian/Kentuckian mentality about certain things can be quite hilarious.

I only tried Justified, but never got seriously into it, because of Timothy Olyphant. He's charming as an actor, even though in Deadwood he's not even in the same league as Ian McShane. But he's fun enough to watch. He was also fun in his short stint in The Office. I find his demeanor similar to Billy Bob Thorton, but Thorton is still better I think. Or maybe I've just not watched either of them enough. Last role I saw Thorton in was Fargo season 1, where he was great.

I love Deadwood and I love Justified. Keep in mind with Justified that season one is a bit of anomaly. In season 1 it's mostly unconnected cases, like he's Rockford or something, but they quickly dropped that format and went to having one major storyline per season.

Back
Top Bottom