The TV Series discussion thread

Yeah, things could actually swing back, if we'd smarten up as a species. And, of course, failing that, Gaia will take care of things in her own time, and if we annoy her enough, one of those things might be…..us.

They cover some great examples of areas that man has obliterated, that then have made extraordinary recoveries. At Bikini Atoll, the coral reef has re-appeared, and also taken over the wrecks of the sunken test-ships. In Panama, how they allowed the forests to be destroyed, which caused the river that serves the canal not to provide enough water. So, with that much money at stake, they put the forest back, and it's doing well.

The restoration of the Loess Plateau in China is remarkable.

I finished Midnight Mass. Overall I really liked it, but the last episode really stumbled with how it conveninently resolved at least one big plothole and some other things. I'm also not really happy with exactly how it ended, but I did love a particular part of the last 10-15min.

So, I'm not really happy with how it ended, with the vampires being stopped. I would've really preferred a darker ending.

But aside from that, there was one big plothole, or what I thought would be a plothole until they very awkwardly and conveniently explained that away in the last line of dialogue. It's about the fact that apparently all people that had been drinking the blood of the elder vampire would become a vampire themselves upon death. And I was sure they wouldn't explain how do the last 2 children not become vampires themselves upon death. And then they have Leeza say she can't feel her legs, suggesting the effects of the blood of the elder vampires wore off. Very clunky and convenient, but they indeed resolved the plothole.

The other very conveninent thing was how Erin just conveninently managed to cut the elder vampire's wings while he's feeding on her. Very convenient again, both that she thought of it, and the fact that the elder vampire just let her do it.

And the last thing was the change of mind of Father Paul at the end. Really? Only at the end did he realize what was going to happen when he infested everyone in town with vampirism? Really? Kind of lame.

That's why I would've preferred a darker ending where vampires would simply take over the world, or something. In that case there would be no reason to explain all these conveniences.

The last thing I'll mention is the part I did love in the final episode. And that's Erin's final monologue during her rememberance of her talk with Riley about death. I liked that monoque quite a bit.
Anyway, ignoring all these conveniences in the final episode, the show was pretty great overall. And if it didn't stumble the ending I'd even call it close to perfect. But even so I enjoyed myself quite a bit.

There's a new Wheel of Time teaser:

Moiraine's Quest

My impression so far is about the same as it was for The Witcher. Not ecstatic, but fairly interested. Could become a good, relaxing afternoon show. Hoping it will linger.

That trailer's not doing much for me. Seems so generic, and painfully cliched. I like Rosamund Pike as an actor, though - she must be commended for keeping a straight face reading that dialogue.

I've watched the Blacklist since episode one aired, mostly because I enjoy police dramas and Spader always is entertaining. I loathed the Keen character, and when she was shot several months ago, first I cheered and then begged someone to put three more rounds into her skull, just to be sure!! Because, sadly, dead things often just don't stay that way.

And then I wondered what would happen next. My favourite characters on the show are Dembe, Cooper, and Reddington, in that order. So I wondered: with the removal of the nauseating Keen character, would those others perhaps get more screen time? Better stories??

So I watched the first episode of the new series last night, and I have hope!!! First, the Keen character actually seems gone, and Dembe really has a true role now. Finally, the most obviously skilled person in the show seems like he might have a place in the overall arc, and it gives me a little hope. I also like where Agnes ended up, it makes perfect sense. So, for now, I'll at least watch a bit more to see where it's all headed. Since the third episode of the first series, I've had this theory that Reddington was actually Keen's mother, and had undergone a sex change as a sneaky disguise. Spade just has that androgynous look to me, and I mean that in a good way, that he could literally play that part to the hilt.

I finished Squid Game, and enjoyed it overall. I still think the first half could have been compressed, but the second half had much better pacing. I think the bridge game was where it peaked.

I thought the twist was pretty heavily signposted, and I'm not sure I'd really call it a twist. I think the old man was a pretty obvious ringer, and when they didn't show him being shot, I was thinking that wasn't done out of good taste.

Just found out my favorite show from the 1990's called Creepshow was rebooted on another paid cable network owned by AMC called Shudder. I loved watching all three short seasons. To bad they only have five to six episodes in each season though,

I completed the Goliath show last evening, the final series seemed a bit weaker than I thought it might be. Considering the talent they had lined up in guest roles, my expectations were rather high, and I don't think the show even came close to delivering. And now it's over, I believe.

I completed the Goliath show last evening, the final series seemed a bit weaker than I thought it might be. Considering the talent they had lined up in guest roles, my expectations were rather high, and I don't think the show even came close to delivering. And now it's over, I believe.

I only saw season 1, mainly because of Billy Bob Thornton. It was decent enough, but I couldn't do it again with season 2. I just got bored pretty quickly. I really like him as an actor. And loved season 1 of Fargo because of him, besides Martin Freeman who was also great.

The second and third series were pretty decent, and that also contributed to my expectations for the final run. You do have to take some of it not so seriously, as several episodes are chock full of dream or drunken sequences, so when those popped up I always had a book handy! That final hurrah, with Simmons and Malone as guest stars had me so hyped.....for naught.

Goliath... god... the first season was a bit cliche but decent enough as a courtroom drama. Then the second season rolled around and I immediately lost interest with its plot revolving around Native American 'magic'. I couldn't stomach more than a couple episodes as I recall.

BTW, looks like Paramount or CBS put up a free episode of Evil from the current series on youtube. I quite enjoyed the first series, yet when they put the second on a pay site, well, that cut me out. So if you want to glance at the show for free, take a peek!

Just found out my favorite show from the 1990's called Creepshow was rebooted on another paid cable network owned by AMC called Shudder. I loved watching all three short seasons. To bad they only have five to six episodes in each season though,
The new show has a lot of bad reviews. I have S1 unwatched on Bluray, S2 comes out for christmas. Is it worth it? Humor? Gore? Boobs??

The new show has a lot of bad reviews. I have S1 unwatched on Bluray, S2 comes out for christmas. Is it worth it? Humor? Gore? Boobs??
Depends as some stories are well acted and written while others are average at best. There are a few gems that shine though. There is plenty of gore but little nudity.

One of my favorite episodes is about the Necronomicon. It's a tribute to Sam Remi and his Evil Dead franchise. Another episode was about the props of his shows being alive.

Wildly uneven. I only genuinely liked a few eps. Some were so bad it was painful to get through them. There is a 0% reason to buy season 2 before you at least watch the Bluray you already have.

Actual trailer of the Wheel of Time:

I stand by my previous impression. Not really how I imagined it 25 years ago, but it looks interesting enough. Hope it will be successful so it can go all the way to the end of book 14.

edit: Dune, Foundation, Wheel of Time... all I can say is: finally.

I'm always looking for a long running TV series to dive into, and I generally like detective shows, so I tried out Castle. I recently rewatched Firefly for around the sixth time and I like Nathan Fillion, so that was a big reason why.

I made it through 11 episodes. It's far too light and frothy for a show about police for my taste. I don't mind the romantic aspects and I certainly don't mind humor, but it's just too simplistic and easy-going. Castle is whatever they call a male Mary Sue. He's great at and knows literally everything. If he's ever slightly stuck, a 30 second conversation with his mother or daughter will miraculously dovetail perfectly with whatever's going on with him and allow him to solve that too.

So I gave up and tried out the Elementary pilot. Much better! I'm instantly far more invested. Miller is outstanding as Holmes, and the Holmes/Watson dynamic seems like it will be as strong as ever. The mysteries are more mysterious, and the show is more interestingly shot (Castle has CSI style intros, aka ripoffs, but are otherwise completely straightforward).

Yeah, I'm also a Fillion fan and tried out Castle after quite enjoying Firefly, and found that it just didn't work for me. I think about the only character I enjoyed was his mum, yet that wasn't enough to keep me interested in sticking for the entire series, I dropped out pretty quickly, in the middle of the first series.

I thought the short run of Firefly was a pity. I think it had the legs for a good long run, and was so much better than most of the crappy SyFy shows. I find Whedon hit and miss, but I really like the tone he hit in that one.

Back
Top Bottom