The TV Series discussion thread

Yeah, has a couple of intense moments throughout.

I wanted a more lighthearted series, something that I can just jump into and out of from time to time, so I started something that's been on my mind for years now. I had only seen random episodes, and thought it looked interesting enough. As I said, in a lighthearted kind of way. So I just watched the pilot of it.

Columbo. I'm sure it's pretty famous, especially due to Peter Falk's potrayal. He's very likable, and the series seems to have small, self-contained, murder-mysteries. The pilot was ok. Nothing too impressive. But just good enough to maybe watch when I want to waste some time. I think the main draw is how Falk plays Columbo. He's very charismatic. But I do wonder if the, pretending to be out of the element and just stumbling onto clues and solving the mystery won't get old. I'll have to see. I might not hang on for very much of it.
I used to watch it long ago, I really liked this series. It's true that he's often playing this little game of not being so smart, and then makes very clever deductions all of a sudden. Or pretending to leave then turning back at the last second and asking a key question.

I've never been bothered by that, but the episodes were aired once a week, one season a year. Maybe it feels repetitive if you binge-watch all seasons.

Wow, just realized after checking that there are 13 seasons! I must have seen a third of it all, maybe less.

Columbo was an excellent show, another that I'm due to rewatch at some point. I'm fairly certain I've missed a few episodes, since back then if you missed one you pretty much....well, really missed it!!

I've never been bothered by that, but the episodes were aired once a week, one season a year. Maybe it feels repetitive if you binge-watch all seasons.

I think that's right. Those old-school shows weren't really meant to be consumed the way we do today.

I think that's right. Those old-school shows weren't really meant to be consumed the way we do today.
Yes, we were switching from Columbo to Galactica, maybe watching a couple of Beep Beep cartoons, a football game and who know what else until the following week (if our parents didn't want to watch something else instead).

I'm not watching much TV these days, but I think Columbo is still regularly aired over here. One of those immortal shows.

Last night I finished re-watching the fifth series of the Americans. What an excellent show, it manages to balance all of the characters well, even the children, who actually have plots and aren't reduced to whinging ear/eye annoyances. I'll likely get around to watching the final series before the end of this year.

Last night I finished re-watching the fifth series of the Americans. What an excellent show, it manages to balance all of the characters well, even the children, who actually have plots and aren't reduced to whinging ear/eye annoyances. I'll likely get around to watching the final series before the end of this year.

It had a worthy ending, imo. I've watched a couple of scenes from the final season multiple times.

The first season of Carnival Row (Travis Beacham, René Echevarria) was diverting. The plot is fine, with a few surprises and a few predictable outcomes, a mix of problems at different levels. The atmosphere is somewhat oppressing and dark, racism is central to the setting. I like the mix of fantasy (fairies, fauns, golems, witches...) living in a society and investigation around a mystery, while other struggles are ongoing.

Now I'm in the 1st season of Homecoming (Micah Bloomberg, Eli Horowitz and Sam Esmail), which progressively reveals ethical / psychological problems. It interleaves past and present events (but chronologically, unlike Memento) to help connect the dots.
I found 2 actors who were in Mr Robot, Bobby Cannavale (Irving), and Frankie Shaw (Shayla), which makes it a bit disturbing. ;) The plot is more predictable but the story is more humane and realistic too. Still, the style is familiar.

Saw the two seasons of Lupin. I didn't think it was that great. The lead character is supposed to be a very smart guy, but regularly he makes some really dumb decisions, which are probably meant by the writers to bring more tension to the story, but it threw me off. I don't need to see season 3.

While cycling along on the home trainer I also finished both seasons of Locke & Key. The first season was OK'ish, but felt a bit longer than needed. I haven't read the comics, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are better. The second season turned out to be more of the same, so it became predictable and boring, but my requirements for a TV show when cycling aren't that high, so I finished it anyway. But, I don't think I will watch season 3.

The comics are indeed superior to the telly show, or at least I think so, Myrthos, for Locke and Key. I gave up after viewing only the first series. And I also agree with you on Lupin, though I only stuck through three episodes. As you said, the lead person is supposed to be rather brilliant, yet does many things that make it appear otherwise. I've actually seen that happening in more than a few new series recently.

I don't know if anyone is watching Arcane, the animated show based on some of League of Legends lore, with Piltover and Zaun as a setting, but I watched today the three first episodes and I thought they were incredibly good, can't wait for tomorrow to watch the next three.

I don't know if anyone is watching Arcane, the animated show based on some of League of Legends lore, with Piltover and Zaun as a setting, but I watched today the three first episodes and I thought they were incredibly good, can't wait for tomorrow to watch the next three.

I was wondering if people who don't really care for LOL lore would like it.
Are you a fan of its lore or just liked it anyway ?

I was wondering if people who don't really care for LOL lore would like it.
Are you a fan of its lore or just liked it anyway ?

Well, I have a complicated relationship with League. I profoundly hate the game, but for a long time it was the only thing my friends would play, so I kinda forced myself to like it. My way to enjoy it was playing champions I felt I could relate to, so I felt deeper and deeper into its lore, which was pretty bare-bones at first, but then began developing into something more elaborate and enticing.

While I still hate the game itself, I do like the lore, and the background of a lot of the characters and such, so that helps a lot for my enjoyment of Arcane. It helps a lot to know who are Jinx, Vi, Ekko, Jayce, Heimerdinger, etc, makes it easier to "connect" with their stories.

That said, the three first episodes have 9.0 - 9.7 IMDb score, so that should say something about its general quality. Three more episodes will release today. I'm sure the score is a bit inflated by League fans (though I guess there are a lot of haters too?), but it's worth a watch imo.

Well, I have a complicated relationship with League. I profoundly hate the game, but for a long time it was the only thing my friends would play, so I kinda forced myself to like it. My way to enjoy it was playing champions I felt I could relate to, so I felt deeper and deeper into its lore, which was pretty bare-bones at first, but then began developing into something more elaborate and enticing.

While I still hate the game itself, I do like the lore, and the background of a lot of the characters and such, so that helps a lot for my enjoyment of Arcane. It helps a lot to know who are Jinx, Vi, Ekko, Jayce, Heimerdinger, etc, makes it easier to "connect" with their stories.

That said, the three first episodes have 9.0 - 9.7 IMDb score, so that should say something about its general quality. Three more episodes will release today. I'm sure the score is a bit inflated by League fans (though I guess there are a lot of haters too?), but it's worth a watch imo.
Thanks.

Ill keep it on my list then and watch when enough episodes have released.

I was near the end of the 1st season of Homecoming, I've started the 2nd. It's developing nicely I must say, with a few mysteries and surprises. I first thought the 2nd one would be based on the same background but with a separate story and become less interesting, but it's actually forming a coherent whole and looks very promising.

I'm just not convinced yet that Julia Roberts was the best choice for one of the important roles.

I started watching series six of Bosch a few days ago, I'm two episodes in now and enjoying it so far. Seems like a lot is being set up quite early in this run!

I also finished watching, well, I'm not sure what exactly it was, a mini-series or just one season of a show called Texas Rising. It begins at what happened at the Alamo, and focuses mainly on Houston response and Santa Anna's march through much of present day Texas. They make use of actual people that lived during those times, so the historical feel of the show was pretty good.

I reached the end of Homecoming - those are very short episodes of almost 30' each so a season is quickly watched. From what I understand, there was no confirmation of a 3rd season yet.

I must admit I was surprised by the end, it was amusing but somewhat disappointing because the beginning was suggesting something bigger. It could change if there is a 3rd season, of course, but it doesn't look like it's as good as Mr Robot. Still, it was very entertaining.

I reached the end of Homecoming - those are very short episodes of almost 30' each so a season is quickly watched. From what I understand, there was no confirmation of a 3rd season yet.

I must admit I was surprised by the end, it was amusing but somewhat disappointing because the beginning was suggesting something bigger. It could change if there is a 3rd season, of course, but it doesn't look like it's as good as Mr Robot. Still, it was very entertaining.

I heard about Homecoming in some interview with the creator of Mr. Robot, where he mentioned he was involved. I think I tried watching the first episode, and I'm not sure why I dropped it but I never got through it. Maybe it'll come back around some time in the future.

Saw the two seasons of Lupin. I didn't think it was that great. The lead character is supposed to be a very smart guy, but regularly he makes some really dumb decisions, which are probably meant by the writers to bring more tension to the story, but it threw me off. I don't need to see season 3.

While cycling along on the home trainer I also finished both seasons of Locke & Key. The first season was OK'ish, but felt a bit longer than needed. I haven't read the comics, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are better. The second season turned out to be more of the same, so it became predictable and boring, but my requirements for a TV show when cycling aren't that high, so I finished it anyway. But, I don't think I will watch season 3.
I am watching Locke & Key. As you say its nothing super amazing, but it's entertaining enough for me to watch as I can't sleep well whilst watching baby who grunts :D

Back
Top Bottom