The TV Series discussion thread

I feel like the WoT episodes are getting better, but whether you agree would depend on what drove your dislike of the first.

My greatest concern with the series is with theme and tone. The books have a moral clarity to them. There is good and evil, and you have to choose, and the choice matters. By the end every character is on one side or the other. On top of that, the heroes win and the evil are killed or suffer fates worse than death.

Today's culture does not do well with that kind of moral narrative. It will likely be downplayed, deconstructed, or simply mishandled due to incomprehension. And the result will be something that doesn't feel like the Wheel of Time.

I've also watched the first episode of Wheel of Time and...I don't know. It's like the world is, I dunno, too clean or not gritty enough? Maybe it's a minor detail yet a medieval-kinda world should resemble that and, from what I've seen in the first episode, it really doesn't. I'm not even a huge fan of the books so not sure if I'll continue on at this point.

I did watch the first Wheel of Time episode that came out a few weeks ago, yet found it so unappealing that I've not gone back for a gander at the second offering. Do the episodes actually improve? I had a similar reaction to the Foundation show, tried the first hour yet felt little inclination to go any further.

You didn't seem to like the books either, so I'm not sure there's a chance you'll enjoy the show, even if it doesn't closely follow the book (like all TV shows).

The plot is improving because more and more is revealed, but I liked the 1st episode, so your opinion may be different. Maybe you don't risk much by watching a few more episodes and deciding whether you want to continue or not? :)

Yeah, I've only read the first four books in the series, even when I've re-read the first two recently I didn't feel inclined to keep going. I know I often have issues if the world exposed in a film or telly show varies too much from what I've personally imagined from a book series it can throw me off, big time. And in some cases, like Expanse, Last of Mohicans, Godfather, etc, they totally nail the books, at least imo, so that tends to draw me in more. Or something like that.

I've been tempted to reread the books a few times, including recently. I must have read 5 or 6 of them. Yes, not always easy to accept how they interpret a story to show it on screen, sometimes it clashes with how we imagined it ourselves.

I think the most recent WoT episode did make a major change in characterization for two characters, and not in a good way.

First, Moiraine. In the books, the Blue Ajah is for those who dedicate themselves to causes. In Moiraine's case, that cause is finding the Dragon Reborn and guiding him to victory over the Shadow. She shares that cause with Siuan Sanche, the Amerlyn, who was also originally of the Blue. This cause is the centerpiece of her life, and it left no room for romance. She showed no willingness to engage in romance until after her return from the Tower of Ghenji, very late in the series, when Rand was obviously standing on his own and no longer in need of her guidance.

In the series, the Blue Ajah is described as searchers for secrets, and Moiraine and Siuan are apparently lovers. This undercuts the monomaniacal focus on the Dragon Reborn that essentially defined Moiraine's character in the boooks.

Second, Nynaeve. In the books there is a wonderful three-way conflict between Nynaeve, Lan and Moiraine. Nynaeve and Lan are in love with each other, but Lan is bonded to Moiraine as her Warder. Moiraine needs Lan if she is to pursue her cause successfully, so she will not release him. Lan will not break his oath to Moiraine, and Nynaeve does not want him to because his unbending honor is one of the things she loves about him. And Nynaeve does not want only part of Lan. She loves him so much that she wants all of him, or nothing. Lan is similar -- he will not marry Nynaeve as long as his war with the Shadow continues, because he does not want to leave her a widow.

In the series, Nynaeve and Lan become lovers while Moiraine still holds his bond. This undercuts the entire basis of the Nynaeve/Moiraine/Lan triangle by reducing the stakes. It actually makes the Nynaeve/Lan romance weaker, by demonstrating a willingness to engage in half-measures. Basically the writers threw away a half-dozen books worth of rising dramatic tension so they could have a sex scene.

On the plus side, they do seem to have admitted that Rand is the Dragon Reborn, so maybe we can stop pussy-footing about that.

Last night I decided to revisit two series that hadn't drawn me in as of yet: Fargo the fourth series, and I rewatched the first episode of Wheel of Time. Fargo got a lot more interesting with the second episode, so I'll be checking that out further just to see what happens next. Wheel of Time, ehhh I'm still not fully hooked on the premier, though I'm going to check out at least another episode and see if it gets better for me.

Anyone watching Season 2 of The Witcher yet? Curious to hear some impressions. I haven't had time to start it.

I enjoy it as one of the better fantasy series out there. It's not a masterpiece in any way though. Fun for me. If you like the first series, I think it's more of the same mostly, but a real focus on Ciri, less on others.

Anyone watching Season 2 of The Witcher yet? Curious to hear some impressions. I haven't had time to start it.

Same. I assume I will get around to it, just haven't had the chance yet.

Last edited:
I enjoy it as one of the better fantasy series out there. It's not a masterpiece in any way though. Fun for me. If you like the first series, I think it's more of the same mostly, but a real focus on Ciri, less on others.

The second season started and finished very well, but I struggled with the middle (eps 3-6, more or less)

It must have been pretty decent if you already binged through it that quickly. I need to set aside some time to check it out.

I tend to watch two episodes at a time after everyone else has gone to bed.
I wouldn't personally call that binge-watching though :)

I think Anya Chalotra in Witcher 2 did so much better this season as Yennefer.

I held off for as long as I was able, yet the past two evenings I've ventured back into the Americans, by starting a re-watch of the sixth and final series. So many great things to love about this show overall, not in the least being the awesome music they tend to include with almost every episode!

I'm always kind of wary of watching movies/series made by americans about things related to the soviets or events in easter europe. Most often they're used as propaganda. But I keep hearing about The Americans, so I might have to do some digging to see how it is.

In other respects, for some reason I've slowly become more and more excited to see how the Last of Us tv series comes out. I've slowly grown quite curious about it, and I wonder if we're getting it in 2022. But I don't want them to rush anything. Just take their time and get it done properly.

I'm always kind of wary of watching movies/series made by americans about things related to the soviets or events in easter europe. Most often they're used as propaganda. But I keep hearing about The Americans, so I might have to do some digging to see how it is.

IMO it's quite nuanced, people of both camps have their good and bad sides. They did a good job at showing everyone's perspective too, even from people at different levels.

It's supposedly based or inspired on a real case but I haven't tried to learn more about it, there's little doubt that it's been adapted to make it as interesting as possible.

That being said, I'm not entirely sure it's for everyone, some parts can be rather blunt and graphic.

Back
Top Bottom