The TV Series discussion thread

It's a low bar for sure. I liked the first Angela Kang season, aka the last one with Rick, but a lot of the rest of it is mediocre to bad.

I stopped liking TWD long before that despite continuing to watch it. Imo, it hasn't been good since the 6th season. It peaked for me in season 5 with "Four Walls and a Roof" being my favorite episode.

I'm glad it's finally in the last season, but they really should have put the show out of its misery years ago.

I love the Walking Dead books and comics, yet that show is a complete disaster, or at least it was when I gave up watching it during the second series, when they seemed endlessly mired on some farm. I then tried the spin-off, and keep in mind that I love basically anyone from Deadwood, they had two, yes, TWO members from that fabled show and yet the stories….uggh. Just uggh, I went back to the books and never regretted it.

The second episode of The Book of Boba Fett was as good as the first, even though there were a couple of wtf? moments. So far, I definitely like it more than The Madalorian.

After watching a stellar film the other night, last evening I found myself flailing about for some decent telly to watch, amongst those I'm currently enjoying: Picket Fences, the Americans, and a couple of others. Lo and behold, what should scroll across my screen but an advert for Hannibal, a show I quite enjoyed when it was on the air, maybe close to ten years ago now, yet one I've never re-watched. Well, I fixed that right quick, by watching the pilot last night and deciding that this show will fill that void quite nicely!

Wanting to get ready for The Last of Us tv series I watched the Chernobyl mini-series, since the writer in that is also scripting TLOU.

And it was pretty great overall. Depressive as hell in parts. Looked nice. And my main worry that it would be a propaganda fest for western nations was unfounded. There were some points made, but they were pretty tame and mostly truthful of the times, at least to what I know. But most importantly they were very respectful of the sacrifices made by a lot of people to keep eastern europe from becoming a hell hole.

On a more morbid note, I could easily see some other nation-state botch a nuclear powerplant accident in a similar way to what was described. Hell, I could also see plenty of corporations do the same. I think I even saw almost exact patterns of some of the incompetence on display in some of the places I worked at. And with regards to nations, just look at how they managed to botch the vaccination efforts in order to maximize profits.

I think one thing this series solidified for me is the conviction we humans should not manage this sort of thing. I would not trust anyone to take all precautions. But that’s getting into another political matter.

Last edited:
Wanting to get ready for The Last of Us tv series I watched the Chernobyl mini-series, since the writer in that is also scripting TLOU.

Isn't TLoU still quite a ways off? Last I heard, it was going to be filming until summer.

I'm mildly curious about it, but I was a little disappointed in the casting.

The second episode of The Book of Boba Fett was as good as the first, even though there were a couple of wtf? moments. So far, I definitely like it more than The Madalorian.

We liked it, but had hoped it would conclude by actually wrapping up in the present. Still, pretty good continuing series.

Isn't TLoU still quite a ways off? Last I heard, it was going to be filming until summer.

I'm mildly curious about it, but I was a little disappointed in the casting.

I think rumour has it they may release the first season in 2022. And with the recent rumour that the Last of Us Remake is also close to being finished, they likely want to release both products around the same time to maximize cross-pollination.

In other related gaming tv series news, seems Fallout is also going forward and starting production in 2022. Not very excited about that one, but I'll probably be more curious about it the further we go.

https://deadline.com/2022/01/fallou...rtson-dworet-graham-wagner-kilter-1234905676/

Last edited:
I think rumour has it they may release the first season in 2022. And with the recent rumour that the Last of Us Remake is also close to being finished, they likely want to release both products around the same time to maximize cross-pollination.

I had no idea they were remaking the first game. Seems kind of unnecessary tbh.

In other related gaming tv series news, seems Fallout is also going forward and starting production in 2022. Not very excited about that one, but I'll probably be more curious about it the further we go.

https://deadline.com/2022/01/fallou...rtson-dworet-graham-wagner-kilter-1234905676/

I think that has a lot more potential than TLoU given how much lore there is to work with, but I'm skeptical that they'll be able to capture the Fallout feel.

I had no idea they were remaking the first game. Seems kind of unnecessary tbh.
I'm of the opinion that if they manage to reuse the same graphics/gameplay engine they used in TLOU2, and redo all graphical assets to that level (and leave everything else untouched; maybe add some new content that doesn't retcon or change anything), I'd say it's definitely worth it.

TLOU1, while looking decently, it's nowhere near to the level of part 2. Both graphically, and mechanically/gameplay. Not even close. You have to remember part 1 was built for PS3. Ignoring the controversial story (which I mostly loved, aside from a few nitpicks I do have) the gameplay is so far beyond what part 1 managed to do. Plus, one of the most important things in part 2 is the significant effort they put into accessiblity. For ex, they introduced an accessiblity option (basically bullet-time) to allow you to trigger bullet-time when aiming down sights. That is a game-changer for me, and others who just despise real-time/no-aim locking/assist on a controller. Makes the whole experience way better. So if I can have that in part 1, I'm set.

Plus, if there's any possibity it could lead to an easier PC port down the line, I'm also for that. And I also hope the remake will not cost nearly as much as the original game cost, or part 2 cost. Since they theoretically just have to redo all graphical assets and just plug them into the TLOU2 engine. Everything else should be done. At least I'm hoping it's that easy, and likely it is not. But hey, a man can hope.

Now back to tv series, I'm not really sure what the fallout tv series could do. Theoretically they'd have to create their own story in that setting. So it could be hit or miss. With TLOU tv series, you're assured that the story is solid and it's there. They just don't have to mess with it too much. With fallout, since it would likely be original, it could be hit or miss. But I'm not sure what would make it stand out from other post-apocalyptic settings. I mean, I like fallout and the setting, and it does have some great flavour, but I'm not sure how that would contribute to anything, aside from maybe an asthetics element. And maybe seeing the Brotherhood of Steel in live action (which honestly, I'd be a bit worried with the track record games to movies/films has).

I'm glad Nolan is directing the series, but I see Todd Howard is one of the executive producers, not sure how they'll steer that boat.

So it's more and more the same trend with TV series and games, it's much easier to look at past successes and make it a new series or a remaster / remake. We keep eating the same old stuff. That's nice.

Well…crap.

As I wrote above I've been watching and enjoying Fear of the Walking Dead. I started season 4 a couple of days ago and though there have been good parts, it's been rough. Characters are a lot more stupid all of a sudden. There's more melodrama. A lot of what I don't like about the parent show is suddenly in evidence everywhere.

I thought I'd read that Fear got good with season 3 and continued to be good, but now that I look into it more it turns out that most people consider season 3 the high water mark, and a lot of people think it went to shit from season 4 onward. I'm bummed.

Well…crap.

As I wrote above I've been watching and enjoying Fear of the Walking Dead. I started season 4 a couple of days ago and though there have been good parts, it's been rough. Characters are a lot more stupid all of a sudden. There's more melodrama. A lot of what I don't like about the parent show is suddenly in evidence everywhere.

I thought I'd read that Fear got good with season 3 and continued to be good, but now that I look into it more it turns out that most people consider season 3 the high water mark, and a lot of people think it went to shit from season 4 onward. I'm bummed.

I think the reason a lot of people didn't like season 4 is because of…

Nick's death.

It definitely came as a surprise to me and not a good one. I had grown to really like him after initially hating him when the series started. It's safe to say he was a fan favorite.

JDR13:

His death took me by surprise and I wasn't exactly happy about it. He was one of my favorite characters and I wanted to see him interact with Morgan and other new characters. But his death isn't why I don't like the show now, and it's not been mentioned as a reason why any of the other people I've read write about the decline of the show stopped liking it. It's because the character stop behaving like themselves and start behaving like dumbshits. Just one example among many: Alicia, Luciana and Victor want revenge on the Vultures, so they load up and go to where the Vultures are supposed to be... and then just stand there in the middle of the road and wait for them? Outgunned 3 to whatever? No ambush? Nothing? It's ridiculous. As Althea's heavily armored SWAT vehicle drives away at the end of that scene, they stand there and shoot at it? Honestly, there are like a dozen dumb things in that 10 minute scene alone. A lot of season 4A has been like that.

Apparently it was Nick's actor's decision to leave, btw. It wasn't something the showrunners planned or wanted. It feelsl like the show died with him.

JDR13:

His death took me by surprise and I wasn't exactly happy about it. He was one of my favorite characters and I wanted to see him interact with Morgan and other new characters. But his death isn't why I don't like the show now, and it's not been mentioned as a reason why any of the other people I've read write about the decline of the show stopped liking it. It's because the character stop behaving like themselves and start behaving like dumbshits. Just one example among many: Alicia, Luciana and Victor want revenge on the Vultures, so they load up and go to where the Vultures are supposed to be… and then just stand there in the middle of the road and wait for them? Outgunned 3 to whatever? No ambush? Nothing? It's ridiculous. As Althea's heavily armored SWAT vehicle drives away at the end of that scene, they stand there and shoot at it? Honestly, there are like a dozen dumb things in that 10 minute scene alone. A lot of season 4A has been like that.

Apparently it was Nick's actor's decision to leave, btw. It wasn't something the showrunners planned or wanted. It feelsl like the show died with him.

I wasn't as bothered by the things you mention as what I mentioned, but I can understand where you're coming from.

As for that last part, yes, it was said the actor feared being typecast.

Last edited:
Ya'll folks that got past the second series of Walking Dead are made of far sterner stuff than I am. Even with a book at hand, that second series was like watching and listening to paint dry, and I don't mean that as a compliment.

Back
Top Bottom