The TV Series discussion thread

I've all but given up on Star Wars fare, I'll stick with the original three films when the urge strikes, and some of the stellar novels. Most Disney stuff seems utter garbage to me. between this franchise and what they've turned the Marvel comics into.

They managed, after a decades-long campaign, to crush the last vestiges of Star Wars out of me. I view things Star Wars these days with about as much interest as five minutes of local commercials.

Get Back and Hawkeye

I took the plunge and purchased a month of Disney+ (£8 in the UK). Finished watching the Get Back (The Beatles) series. The picture and sound quality, for 1969, is amazing. It was like being a fly on the wall watching how Paul, John and George brought rough songs to the studio and watching them be transformed in to the ones we know. There is also the interaction between the four of them and the contributions made by the music studio staff. And then there is the rooftop concert. Worth the money.

Noticed that there was "McCartney 3,2,1". Six 30 minute episodes. Some interesting bits of information from Paul but a lot went over my head. My wife has some musical knowledge and found it interesting.

I also watched Hawkeye (6 episodes) which held my attention. There were incredible fights but the relationship between the characters really made it worth watching. [I also took the opportunity to watch Black Widow. Suggest you watch this before Hawkeye.] For me this was Marvel at it's best with the focus on people rather than special effects (though plenty of the latter).

Finally I watched the final season of "Agents of SHIELD". Enjoyed it as they moved through time making a mess of things then trying to put things right. Reminded me "Legends of Tomorrow".

Agents of Shield, Daredevil and Agent Carter are the best three Marvel shows done to date. And with Disney in charge now, I don't see that changing anytime soon, to be frank. I'm always pleased to see anyone enjoying these.

For any form of media outside of games, yeah. I still think there's potential for good SW games though.

Yeah, it wouldn't put me off a game if I heard it was good, but I also wouldn't be excited about the Star Wars-ness of it, as I would once have been.

But when it comes to Star Wars (and Trek) on the telly, they've attacked and destroyed my nostalgia centres.

I've just finished the excellent The Sinner Season 4. And I have only one question that was left unanswered (or so I think):

Who was that person Percy was kinda "worshipping" on that cam security footage? I mean, Harry Ambrose also noticed that person using a hooded coat who just entered the cam's field of view near the end of the footage, right? And if Harry did it, then that person couldn't be a ghost or Percy's mental projection of someone else, right?

Last edited:
I tried watching the Sinner when it first came out, so that would have been the first series, whenever that was. It was one of those "attempts to watch yet finds himself picking up a book far too often during the show", so I bailed after the third episode, I believe.

Yes the first series was a slow burn with lots of twists back in 2018. Jessica Biel was very convincing in her role. Convinced me to watch the 2nd series (2019) though I don't remember it very well except more of the same - secrets slowly being revealed. Missed the 3rd series - not sure why. Looking forward to another month of Netflix, sometime, to catch up with the 3rd and 4th series (and The Witcher s2).

Anyone else seeing a pattern here? ;)

I failed to see it. But since was I who started this recent The Sinner little discussion, what it is?

Oh it doesn't have anything to do with that. It's not important though.

As I was expecting, this week's episode of The Book of Boba Fett jumped the shark

Not sure if that's the correct term here, but the show has devolved entirely into pure fan service already. It's disappointing because the first couple of episodes had me thinking it might actually turn out decent. I should have been smart enough to know better.

One thing I've learned the past fifteen years or so concerning the Star Wars universe via the silver screen: no matter how low I set my expectations, they manage to dive well under the bar.

And concerning the most recent Expanse series, when I saw Alexander and Cara pop up I was like....ugghh, seriously, are they going to try and cram another book into this series, which is already shortened by a few episodes? It appears that I was wrong, at least as far as I've gotten which is the third episode, what they appear to be doing is giving the kids/Duerte even more backround, some of which was alluded to in the books yet not actually covered, unless it happened in the short stories, which I've yet to read. This is pretty smart and a great way to bring in people that might think they know whats going on, yet might learn some new info here. I mean Teresa is going to become pivotal later on, yet at this point she doesn't even exist so it's interesting to see Duerte sound off some of his ideas on other Empire citizens.

I must say that I'm surprised no-one has commented on season 2 of Resident Alien which so far is flowing just like season 1.

Corwin, I just watched the first episode of the second series last night, Resident Alien, and I think it's off to a great start. I'm hoping they can equal or match what they did the first time around.

I must say that I'm surprised no-one has commented on season 2 of Resident Alien which so far is flowing just like season 1.

I watched about 5 episodes of Resident Alien, and I liked it well enough. But had to take a break since I was watching it with my SO, and she didn't have the time. We're hoping to get back to it some time.

This guy has allegedly a source working at MGM and following discussions between MGM and Amazon, story boards for a trilogy would have been made. I personally think it's very unlikely to happen (if the info is genuine at all, which I doubt), and only remotely interesting if they did, but there you are:

I don't see how anyone could do justice to book seven of the series, you'd need a minimum of a dozen episodes or even more to cover all the subject matter. And then book eight....yeah, I just don't see it happening. Read the books and let your imagination do the series true justice.

I mean even the episodes that exist of the earlier books are minimal coverage, at best. Decent sure, yet don't come close to doing what the novels do.

I checked out the first episode of the Jack Reacher series last night, and I think it's off to a decent start. Gone ae the shenanigans of having someone barely over five feet tall in the lead role, like in the films, though I don't believe the current guy is quite at the height he should be, that or the entire cast is taller than average. Other than the height though, he nails the role, again totally based on just seeing the first hour. Even if the other episodes tank a bit, the first hour has erased the nasty taste that the movies left.

Back
Top Bottom