The TV Series discussion thread

Thanks for all the recommendations, should keep me going for awhile.

I got to episode 4 in Discovery s04 and boy it just keeps getting worse somehow. I don't get how they continue to focus on the relationships between the crew to the detriment of the story. It's been done in other Treks but in Discovery they dial it up 10x to the point where you feel like you are watching a soap opera. Every single interaction between crew members seems to end up as a personal "discovery" journey. What makes it worse is they try to hamfist it into the most inappropriate situations as possible i.e. the crew have 2 minutes to solve a life or death situation and they spend 3/4 of it talking about how much the other person means to them. It might be okay to have one occurance in an episode but 3 times in a single episode? Just because two characters are in a relationship doesn't mean they will be all lovey dovey while shit is going down. It is frankly insulting to the gay community. Same bullshit with Michael and Booker. It doesn't need to be constantly shoved down the audiences throat. TNG just alluded to it and that was part of the charm. Discovery has to show two people naked under the sheets so we know that they are in a relationship... What the actual F.

Aye bjon045, it's not Star Trek, it's more like anti-trek. The deeper you go the uglier it gets, sad to say. Truly, watching anything else will be much better for not only your joy but, indeed, mental health. So just say no to STD and Discard, and sadly, the Strange New Worlds is also likely to be horrific.

Just finished Season 1 of Star Trek: Picard and it renewed my faith in the series after Discovery. I love how they went for a more darker reality of a militaristic isonalitist Federation. The show leaves more questions then answer at the end though.

Now onward to season two.

Stay on that high and pretend you don't know that Picard season 2 exists.
Don't ruin it for me but I'm getting hints the writers went full discovery mode.

Dammit why can't they get Star Trek right?:movingon:

I got to episode 4 in Discovery s04 and boy it just keeps getting worse somehow.

You're far more resilient than I am. I couldn't even get past the first season of Discovery.

Crossing fingers they get back to the original magic of Stranger Things. I felt that season 2 & 3 were progressively going downhill.

I couldn't agree more. My gut feeling is that they're returning to a more serious vibe with this one. I hope I'm not wrong.

All the activity online around the aniversary of Twin Peaks got me to start another run of the whole series. Still in season 1, but man what a fun and relaxing series. I hope to get through it all again, as I have a tendency to drop series I restart on a whim.

That series is really something! :)

I could never appreciate the last episodes or the ending though, it was getting too weird for me. But overall I love it.

I enjoy both Picard and Discovery, similar to how I enjoyed the Abrams movies. It's definitely not the stuff I grew up and fell in love with and I can do without all the lens flares thank you very much - but I can still appreciate them as interpretations of the Star Trek universe.

With Discovery: yeah, the serialization and constant personal drama and relationship stuff hurts. I want regular episodes back, like in the Orville. Maybe one loose overarching story per season, sure, but otherwise I prefer proper stories each episode, with philosophical dilemmas and so on. Or away missions. Visit new, unexplored planet, marvel, done.

Still, so far every episode had something I could enjoy, so there's that at least.

What happened to Orville by the way? Seems like an overly loooong hiatus, even with the pandemic.

Twin Peaks, one of the best shows ever. I only wish Lynch hadn't been distracted during the second series, then it might have been sheer perfection.

I finished Mrs. Maisel last night, now, for the first time in months, I've no new episodes to look forward to. I was quite surprised with how in-depth they went on the whole Bruce scenario, and how involved Midge became with him, I honestly didn't see that coming at all. A great show and one I know I'll be re-watching at some point, for sure!

Still, so far every episode had something I could enjoy, so there's that at least.

That is the only reason I am still watching it - there are still enjoyable segments in there. There has also been a couple of great episodes like "Project Daedalus (episode 9)" in S02 and "Die Trying (episode 5)" in season 4.

Die Trying was good because they had 3 guest stars who delivered stellar performances while the crew of discovery just kept doing their "thing". One of the guest stars died which is unfortunate but hopefully the scientist sticks around.

Then after that solid episode they followed it up with a new low. There were TWO scenes with characters in bed together and plenty of cuddling and kissing - all of which added NOTHING to the story. The captain should of been court marshalled for standing there chit chatting when they had a few minutes left before Discovery was about to be completely destroyed. And suddenly the ships computer is now sentient and has the emotional fortitude of a teenager. I'm only on episode 7 now but there had better be some payoff for this new craptastic story thread.

That series is really something! :)

I could never appreciate the last episodes or the ending though, it was getting too weird for me. But overall I love it.

I guess you mean the last episodes of season 3? Oh, I loved those the most. Really out there and weird as hell. Plus the really goosebump triggering ending. I really hope he does return someday for a fourth season.

Orville is coming with new episodes, though I believe it's been delayed again until June or so? And then supposedly some of the cast have gigs already lined up so this may be the end of Orville. I hope not, yet it's not looking very positive right now. -xxx

Last night I got to the Atlanta episode of season two that I'd been yearning to see again, for the third time. When I first saw this episode back at the original airing, I immediately sat down and watched it again.

Mind still fragged. Teddy Perkins just knocks my socks off on so many levels.

Last night I got to the Atlanta episode of season two that I'd been yearning to see again, for the third time. When I first saw this episode back at the original airing, I immediately sat down and watched it again.

Mind still fragged. Teddy Perkins just knocks my socks off on so many levels.

Crazy episode. It helps that my favorite regular character is Darius. It worked so well for me that when Teddy screetches at Darius "No, you don't!" in that high pitched wheeze, it was just unnerving, not slightly silly like it might have been if the episode hadn't been landing fully.

I liked the first season well enough, but the second season is where Atlanta becomes truly great, imo.

Agreed. The first season did a decent job of introducing characters and the second had them, for the most part, interacting in different and unique situations. And Darius is pretty awesome, even when he's just in the backround he's totally worth watching, he's often up to something!

A little over 8 hours ago, it was Saturday afternoon, and I decided to watch the first episode of Season 4 of Ozark. I wasn't planning on starting it until the second half of the season was released, but I was bored and figured I'd just watch 1 episode.

It's now 12:35 am here, and I just finished the 7th episode.

Dammit....

Back
Top Bottom