The TV Series discussion thread

A little over 8 hours ago, it was Saturday afternoon, and I decided to watch the first episode of Season 4 of Ozark. I wasn't planning on starting it until the second half of the season was released, but I was bored and figured I'd just watch 1 episode.

It's now 12:35 am here, and I just finished the 7th episode.

Dammit….

I find I can't really do non-stop marathons anymore. I can do a couple of episodes, but the more I watch, I kind of tend to lose attention, and stuff starts to blend into each other. I need to, even for a short 30 min break, do something else after a couple of episodes.

I got back to season 3 of Fear the Walking Dead, and have reached ep 11 I think. It's pretty cool, and one thing that surprised me is that humanity already has a common post-apocalyptic marketplace (mad-max style) where stuff gets bartered for. I'd imagined that would come later in the timeline of the apocalypse. And it's also kind of surprising nothing like that ever appeared in the original Walking Dead series. I mean, aside from the 'fair' the three camps setup deep into the later seasons (8 or 9 i think), it's like there isn't much of a world outside the three camps. I think they did this better in Fear The Walking Dead.

A little over 8 hours ago, it was Saturday afternoon, and I decided to watch the first episode of Season 4 of Ozark. I wasn't planning on starting it until the second half of the season was released, but I was bored and figured I'd just watch 1 episode.

It's now 12:35 am here, and I just finished the 7th episode.

Dammit….

Haha, nice. At least we only have a couple weeks to wait for the rest.

Haha, nice. At least we only have a couple weeks to wait for the rest.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how it ends. Some thoughts about that first half…

Wyatt - Poor kid… life was already constantly shitting on him and then he goes out like that.

Darlene - What took so long?

Javi - I hated him from the moment they introduced him. I want to see him die horribly which I'm sure he will.

The private investigator - Ditto.

The Cosgroves - Talk about implausible characters. Frank Jr gets his dick shot off and is willing to work with the person who did it? Then Frank Sr, the head of a big city mob, goes to Darlene's house alone??

Ruth - The actress is good, but I feel like the character is getting way more screen time than she deserves. How many times do we need to hear her scream "Fuck!", "Shit!", "Cunt!", etc? She just isn't very interesting despite everything that's happened to her.

Finished Discovery season 4. That was intense. The whole arc did feel rather Star Trekky I must say. I'm still not a fan of the format and visuals though, and they really need to dial back all the relationship stuff. Otherwise there were lots of things to enjoy. Mixed bag, yes, but I can keep the stuff I like.

I watched the first episode of Outer Range last night, going in I was sort of expecting a show similar to Yellowstone, yet this one is laced with mysticism/weirdness in a way that I didn't expect at all. I'll be checking out the second episode for sure!

Finished Discovery season 4. That was intense. The whole arc did feel rather Star Trekky I must say. I'm still not a fan of the format and visuals though, and they really need to dial back all the relationship stuff. Otherwise there were lots of things to enjoy. Mixed bag, yes, but I can keep the stuff I like.

I also just finished Season 4 and I was pleasantly suprised. It definately finished strong. They even reduced the prescence of some of the more annoying characters by getting them off discovery. Agree with you on the relationship side - the whole Saru relationship arc was completely pointless.
They should have off'ed Booker rather than having him survive - it would of had more emotional punch and cleared some of the baggage for Season 5.

Tarka was the best addition for Season 4 and hopefully they have another decent character join the ship for Season 5. It was great to have a decent white male cis gender character for a change ;) and one who isn't relegated to occassional guest appearances.

Last edited:
@bjon045;: you should probably add spoiler tags.

Yeah, Books was one of two instances where I thought: bold move if he died during a transport and actually stayed dead. The other was when the crew had to sacrifice the spore drive. I almost thought they'd actually get rid of this plot device and go for a new Voyager scenario. When the entire Federation can eventually jump to any point in the Milky Way, everything becomes rather small. We've had mirror universes, time jumps - soon distances won't matter much anymore on a grand scale, and then what? Off to new galaxies? Maybe that's a way forward, since ours has probably been explored too much already.

Ah well, it's only one story per season, so the scale needs to be adjusted, I suppose. Looking forward to what they come up with next.

Oh man, the best show currently airing is back!! I saw episode one of the newest Better Call Saul last night, and it was a total slobberknocker. This show keeps stepping up, it surpassed the show that spawned it years ago, and only continues to improve. I don't need tie-ins for the prior series, El Camino answered all the Jesse questions I had, right now I'm more concerned about where Darth Kim might end up, lol. And Lalo might be the wisest criminal I've yet to encounter, and yes, that's putting him slightly ahead of Fring, which is no small feat.

I'll see how long I can put off the second episode. -)

I’m waiting until august to see it all in one go.

But pretty shitty of AMC to also split this one in 2 parts. They split the last season of TWD in three, so I guess it could be worse.

They split everything these days. At least the gaps are getting smaller? Just a couple of months between the blocks of episodes for this and for Ozark.

I believe you'll have to blame the Sopranos for creating that trend of splitting seasons. If I'm not mistaken they did it for legitimate causes, then others piled on like it was some new amazing trend or something.

They split everything these days. At least the gaps are getting smaller? Just a couple of months between the blocks of episodes for this and for Ozark.

Yeah, split seasons seem to be getting more common, and it's annoying. The new season of Stranger Things is also being split.

Yeah, Discovery was bad. I really hated S01 and S02 -- and the main character, god, she makes me cringe -- but I feel it got slightly better as it progressed. Haven't seen season 4 yet, but I thought season 3 was the better one of the ones I did watch (or maybe I just got used to the cringe).

I've watched the 5 seasons of The Last Kingdom, it's less varied than Vikings but more constant in quality, and more accurate historically. It's obviously more about the story, where Vikings is more about the sensational (I think this one isn't from a book).

I've watched the 5 seasons of The Last Kingdom, it's less varied than Vikings but more constant in quality, and more accurate historically. It's obviously more about the story, where Vikings is more about the sensational (I think this one isn't from a book).

Yeah, I really like the Last Kingdom. I just have the last episode of season 5 left.

Yeah I enjoyed The Last Kingdom more because it's more story focused, and based on one of my favorite authors novels. Vikings is set in the same era but yes to sensational.

That show just drags on with characters making stupid decisions.

Yeah, the Last Kingdom is pretty solid, I enjoy that show far more than I did Game of Thrones. And the books are even better, by far!

I'm making my way through this season of Snowfall, got to an episode last night where Louie and Jerome finally got married, and silly Skully spike the chocolate fountain with acid. Some of the reactions were pretty hilarious, again it's a good thing to see shows with decent writing. I'm enjoying the humour when it happens because we all know this isn't going to end well.

I checked out the first episode of the British scandal series, this one focuses on the great Argyll intrigue/divorce/shenanigans. The first series was quite good, and this one is starting off equally fine.

Really enjoying The Great. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar called it his favorite show in a recent blog essay and I thought what the heck, I'll give it a try. I've subsequently blown through 10 hours of it in two days.

Back
Top Bottom